Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss after supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AWD M3, purchased in October 2018. I have almost 10k miles on it now.

I only tried supercharging a couple of times when I first got the car for a long trip. No issues at all. I continue to charge at home, and occasionally with a level 2 at work.

My max range has been stable at about 309-310. I usually charge to 80-85% every couple of days.

Things recently changed. I had to use a supercharger recently and it charged fast at 150kw (I think).

After that charge, I am noticing a steep, and continued decline in range over the following 200-300 miles or so. First 1-2%, now to 3%, with my last charge last night only to 255 at 80%, an estimated max range of 300miles.

So, why is this suddenly happening, and is it related to the supercharge?

I tried running it down to 15% and charging up to 95% in case it was a balancing issue. No improvement.

Any suggestions?

Here are my two cars. One never been to a Supercharger (LW RWD) and the other (LR AWD) only charges at Superchargers.

Home charging is stable but Supercharged car is dropping range.

Also, Tesla removed the 325 range on the LR. It went back to 310 now.
F264EEA5-F199-43DA-8600-1F5A03C275C2.jpeg
A4591F37-2089-468C-8D2B-093283ECE1ED.jpeg

Here are my two cars. One never been to a Supercharger (LW RWD) and the other (LR AWD) only charges at Superchargers.

Home charging is stable but Supercharged car is dropping range.

When I look at your linear fit lines, I come to the opposite conclusion.
The supercharged car should get 310 mile range, but is getting around 305.
The home charged car should get 325 mile range, but is getting around 312.

Bigger drop with home charged car. No?

I'm not sure Stats is accurate beyond 2 digits. The SOC%age, in the morning, was always off by 1 to 2% compared to what the car shows, as if it wasn't taking into consideration the phantom drain at night, so my range number was always lower. Sometimes as low as 290.

The range trend line used to go down, but then one day there was a hiccup and I had to relogin, and after that, all may data started over, and now my trend line goes up. As long as all the data points are above 290, I figure it's within the margin of error.

I'm not sure Stats is accurate beyond 2 digits. The SOC%age, in the morning, was always off by 1 to 2% compared to what the car shows, as if it wasn't taking into consideration the phantom drain at night, so my range number was always lower. Sometimes as low as 290.

The range trend line used to go down, but then one day there was a hiccup and I had to relogin, and after that, all may data started over, and now my trend line goes up. As long as all the data points are above 290, I figure it's within the margin of error.
It's not the stats app accuracy causing the appearance of range drop. I'm seeing this just by looking at the range after charging. Stats app is just a nice way to visualize the trends.

Oddly I have been "gently" charging mine at night since I got it. I will turn it down so that it is just about through (80%) in the morning. It is doing 7 amps right now. Have SC a couple of times on a trip. Probably overkill but lit-ions do love a slow charge.

Oddly I have been "gently" charging mine at night since I got it. I will turn it down so that it is just about through (80%) in the morning. It is doing 7 amps right now. Have SC a couple of times on a trip. Probably overkill but lit-ions do love a slow charge.
You’re treating yourself, not the battery, and running the charging circuitry longer than it otherwise would. Why do some owners think they’re smarter than Tesla’s engineers?

• Love
Reactions: Joshan and outdoors
Since when?
My LR RWD is on 2019.24.4 which is perhaps the latest mass distribution and I still have 325 range.
I haven’t charged it to 100% lately, but here is the Stats screenshot immediately upon finishing 80% supercharge last night.

Oh, one more thing. My car is about 8 months old, but I haven’t reached the 10K-12K mileage when you started seeing range drop. My car has only about 4K miles right now.
0C02A956-A589-4A57-B46F-94D8FA349005.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: sperkin
I think any drop at 12k is coincidental, since Sperkin's starts at 12k, but Bedoig's starts at 15k, and Stellavator's starts at around 9250.

Rather, this might be timing related, to when you got a specific firmware update. Since I have long suspected phantom drain is not being accounted for correctly by Stats in determining range estimates, at least that's what my experience has shown, is it possible that your range drops coincide with the Firmware install of Sentry mode? What are your Sentry mode settings? If you leave Sentry mode on while at home, your phantom drain will be quite alot higher, and your car might have 2 to 3kWh less in the morning. That's 8 to 12 miles of range, which easily could be the amount missing from your past experience.

So, just thinking out loud. Lemme guess, all of you have miles showing rather than SOC %age, on your dash, right? I show %age. I haven't thought about it in a while, but back in the Winter I had alot of phantom drain, leading to a 1 to 2% drop in SOC %age in the morning. I could see it on my dash, but Stats didn't show that. When I looked at Stats, the SOC %age on the first screen was 1 to 2% higher than what the car showed. And, when you did the math, taking the range estimate, and divided by the SOC %age Stats showed, I'd get a result like 290 to 300 miles, where if I used the SOC %age showed by the car, I'd get a result like 308 to 312.

When I asked the Stats developer about this mismatch, he basically ignored me and told me he pulled the data from the car, I was wrong, etc., nothing to do with phantom drain. I'm sure he did exactly as he said, but I could see the SOC %age was different between the car and the app, and the difference was the phantom drain, and that when you did the math, the SOC %age from the car gave you a range number you were expecting and that if you used the SOC %age from Stats, you got a range number about 8 to 12 miles too low. That's as best as can remember from the Winter.

Back in Winter, my phantom drain was high, about 0.6miles/hr, while now, it's quite low, usually less than 0.1miles/hr. And, my battery health estimates have gotten a tighter dot pattern, around 310 miles, as my phantom drain variation has dropped. Also, I have set Sentry mode to turn off, when at home.

Last edited: