Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss due to auto cooling when parked in sun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently loosing about 18 miles range per day as the car sits in the sun with these low thirties temperatures. I have a reflective screen inside the car across the windscreen and have tried using 'vent'.
Are you experiencing significant range loss due to the automatic cooling? Can it be disabled?

Not noticed that much loss

You can control it in

AB173E9E-AB11-45E6-9C1F-C0113B5BFF96.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
18 miles seems a lot. Our cabin overheat was on yesterday for 4 hours and TeslaFi reported a 1.28 mile loss in range.

When I first used cabin overheat with AC on a previous series of hot days, iirc we averaged just over 1% per day over a mix of scorchers (~30C) and a few overcast days Hot car!. On those days, cabin temperature stayed within 35-39C where as without it, it was very high 40's and occasional low 50's.

Last edited:
As said above, 18 miles sounds excessive. My car was intermittently waking up yesterday to cool down (pretty much constantly when it was in full sunlight) and I lost a similar amount of range as @VanillaAir_UK

I don’t have Sentry on at home though, or Standby Summon, only Cabin Overheat (A/C)

As said above, 18 miles sounds excessive. My car was intermittently waking up yesterday to cool down (pretty much constantly when it was in full sunlight) and I lost a similar amount of range as @VanillaAir_UK

I don’t have Sentry on at home though, or Standby Summon, only Cabin Overheat (A/C)

It's not excessive. I live in Florida and I lose 3-5% per day with COP turned on. I've seen the temp at 162F (72C) without it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricJoules
Do we actually know what sort of car we are talking about. Guessing that may make a difference?
Long range AWD if it makes any difference. Between 00:30 Saturday and 00:30 Sunday I lost 18 miles range (battery range dropped from 44% to 38%) and I drove zero miles during that period. Sentry off, car in my drive. I did hear the fan stop various times, but it then started 5 seconds later, went on for hours.
I've switched overheat protection off today - as detailed by NorfolkMustard above, but I've been out and about, so have to wait for the next quiet day for more checks.

Long range AWD if it makes any difference. Between 00:30 Saturday and 00:30 Sunday I lost 18 miles range (battery range dropped from 44% to 38%) and I drove zero miles during that period. Sentry off, car in my drive. I did hear the fan stop various times, but it then started 5 seconds later, went on for hours.
I've switched overheat protection off today - as detailed by NorfolkMustard above, but I've been out and about, so have to wait for the next quiet day for more checks.
I am guessing the normal for a model X p100d and an M3 SR+ might be a little different. So yes I think it probably does make a difference.

Reactions: Adopado