Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.... this is still simply false.... That's exactly what folks think they are talking about, albeit incorrectly. kWh/mi is still a calculation. Every single person's kWh/mi is variably different. This is not a concrete, finite, static, precise number. Yes, battery degradation over time is a real thing. I think we all understand that. But again, what your car displays to you as range is an estimate which is variable to a multitude of external factors ie: vehicle load, terrain, environmental factors, temperature, passenger/driver weight. kWh/mi is a statistic that changes and evolves. If yours is decreasing, this is not wholly due simply to degradation. You also have to take into all of the other factors, exampled above, into account and the car averages out over time and settles into you as a user. Hence why some people have little to no degradation, and some people have more! Some people have a lower kWh/mi value, and some people have higher! I am not the angry one, it seems like all of you fussing around about your kWh/mi statistics are the angry ones!
I don't think you know, what you think you know.

Then can someone tell me why I’m only getting 262 at 90%?

Umm, that is exactly what is being discussed here. There are theories, but nobody knows, because Tesla won't tell us. Nobody but Tesla (battery engineers, not service center techs) can tell you for sure. And anybody who thinks they can, is greatly overestimating their understanding of the difference between opinion and fact.

Umm, that is exactly what is being discussed here. There are theories, but nobody knows, because Tesla won't tell us. Nobody but Tesla (battery engineers, not service center techs) can tell you for sure. And anybody who thinks they can, is greatly overestimating their understanding of the difference between opinion and fact.
However there is a large territory between absolute certainty and know nothing and can’t have a reasonable estimate and evaluation of likelihoods. Your post is coming off as a nihilistic throwing up of hands. :(

I have a 2018 (September) build performance model (stealth). For a long time, the display has been showing 248-252 miles when at 90%. I’ve only charged to 100% a few times, and then it only showed 295 miles.

I charge to 90% daily, and have put about 19,000 miles on the car. I’ve tried to do a “calibration” by driving to ~10% and charging to 100%, but this made no difference. I have coworkers with a Performance model and LR AWD, and neither of them have more than 3% “degradation”. I also know an owner that autocrosses most weekends with numerous Supercharger uses, and he has ~2-3%.

just adding a data point here.
after 25K miles in 18 months my TeslaFi range estimate is currently 308.98.
It never got the uptick to 325 and has stayed at 310 ever since I go it - so its dropped 1.02 miles.
It gets plugged in most nights with a 90% charge and a 60 mile commute plus other driving, then lots of weekend trips.

Interestingly, a few months back we went on a 1700 mile road trip, lots of supercharging, couple of days plugged into a hotel charger, then a bunch of days with no overnight charging.
When we got back, TeslaFi showed a dramatic drop (for me) in estimated range to 305, with 90% charge down to 274.
But now its back into the usual routine and the estimate back to 308/9 ish and the 90% @ 277/288, so I'm presupposing that the estimate may well be somewhat close.

I have a model 3 performance purchased 2/19. Always charge to 80-90%. First trip to finger lakes and I try to charge to 100% and get 299 instead of what I purchased...a 310 mi range car. Up here in Finger Lakes I need that extra range. No chargera. Have an appt to take it to Tesla and see what they tell me.

... Then don't do it.

It's reporting a conservative (safe) estimate. Eventually, you may need a long discharge cycle naturally, and it will adjust itself. Why "degrade the battery" just to make the estimate less conservative?

And yes, it will still be an estimate, not your "true" range or "correct" range. It's ALWAYS an estimate, and will be different from reality depending on how and where you drive.

Exactly the point i have been trying to make. getting a lot of push back on it though in this thread, not sure why!

• Disagree
Reactions: Eldanon
However there is a large territory between absolute certainty and know nothing and can’t have a reasonable estimate and evaluation of likelihoods. Your post is coming off as a nihilistic throwing up of hands. :(
Not nihilistic at all. That's why I use the forums. The forums fill the space between absolute certainty and knowing nothing. It is a great source of help and information form a lot of bright people. But anyone who represents their opinion on these matters as a known fact, needs to check themselves a bit.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
I have a model 3 Dual motor. Always charged to 90% and showed 277 miles. After the new software update I’m constantly seeing 272-273 miles when I charge 90%. Had the vehicle since May 2019 and have roughly 7k miles. Really weird and it bothers me a bit how I can suddenly loose 4-5 miles from my previous software update. My driving habits haven’t changed and my Wh/mile hasn’t really changed much either.

For everybody that is having this range issue following firmware updates you might want to watch this video:

If you have not seen it it may help to understand why all of a sudden so many of us are having "range issues" (myself included).
He suggests that Tesla has set aside a cushion of around 5kw for the cars with the 75kw battery. I would think that the cars with the smaller batteries it would amount to around the same percentage of the battery. If Tesla is carving out a part of the battery to give themselves a cushion against battery degradation I am not going to be pleased. I bought my LR RWD specifically for the range and now it is "evaporating" as I watch. I expected some battery degradation over time but nothing like what is currently happening and I say this because the service center keeps telling me that is all normal and it matches the "standard" of the Model 3 fleet. The item in the video that really catches my eye is where he talks about the "constant" being changed to hide the amount of loss.
You want to believe they are being truthful but I personally have my doubts and I really am having a hard time believing that all is just happening per the "norm" and has nothing to do with updates.

LR RWD - 32,000km (19,883miles)
Since range increase a 90% charge would always show me 470km. (292miles)
Right after V10 a 90% charge showed 455km. (283miles)
As of this morning a 90% charge is showing 429km. (267miles)
I was at the service center last night* and asked "why is my rated range dropping". They told me "with the new software updates that range is now based on your driving habits as it learns the way you drive and predicts your range accordingly". Tesla recommended I change my display to battery percentage.
(*Note: I was at SC for a failed upper control arm ball joint. It was squeaking, they replaced under warranty. Tesla told me the vendor did not clean out the burs in the ball joint which leads to premature failure.)

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I was at the service center last night* and asked "why is my rated range dropping". They told me "with the new software updates that range is now based on your driving habits as it learns the way you drive and predicts your range accordingly". Tesla recommended I change my display to battery percentage.

Very curious on this as it would explain a lot. Anyone else been told this by Tesla?

Do you guys get this as well when charging to 100%? Says 290 miles at 100% but 30 mins remaining? Based on my 30mi/hr rate does it mean the battery really has 320 miles but is capped at 290 miles? Usually when I set to 80% it would say complete. I have a LR RWD.

Attachments

• F7125940-556A-403E-BF77-D29295535E76.png
    F7125940-556A-403E-BF77-D29295535E76.png
    692.1 KB · Views: 83
A lot of thread indicate sc tells them it’s now based on driving habit to calculate range. Lots of folks argue against it saying those sc folks are miss informed. I don’t know as some of those skeptics don’t work for Tesla. Yet they also could be misinformed. So at this point I don’t know. I just know for certain at 90% my car get 262. Yuck.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Lol, if range indicated was truly based on driving habits, my estimated range would be 200 miles instead of 310.
No, that’s not what Tesla is doing. They do have an estimated value based on driving habits but that is not shown in the car, it’s available only through their API.
As for the charging to 100%, it takes an extra amount of time starting around 95% to rebalance the pack. That’s why you might see 30 minutes remaining, it doesn’t mean there are more miles of range to be gained.

Lol, if range indicated was truly based on driving habits, my estimated range would be 200 miles instead of 310.
No, that’s not what Tesla is doing. They do have an estimated value based on driving habits but that is not shown in the car, it’s available only through their API.
As for the charging to 100%, it takes an extra amount of time starting around 95% to rebalance the pack. That’s why you might see 30 minutes remaining, it doesn’t mean there are more miles of range to be gained.

So after rebalancing, I will still be capped at 290 is what you mean?