Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be helpful if you post your mileage along with build date & degradation. Seems to be the relevant data for this. Add more if someone thinks it matters.

If all of the bad ones are Sept/Oct '18 then you might have more ammo to fight with Tesla over it. Hopefully it doesn't require a lawsuit, etc. But at least you'd have a group of people who can fight together.

My car API shows only 283 mile range at 28K miles an 1 year old. I made an appointment for the calculated amperage capacity reset. Here is the text I got yesterday from Tesla service:

Performed remote diagnosis on the high voltage (HV) battery. During testing found the battery management system is operating without fault at this time. During review of driving habits I found for the last 27,470 miles the wh/mi where 281wh/mi. For max driving range the vehicle needs to be at 245 Wh/mi. During the review of the charging habits of the vehicle it was noted the vehicle is not being deep cycled often. Technician recommends setting the charge limit to 80% or 90% and not plugging in the vehicle until it reaches 20% . This will allow the battery management system to make the best estimate of displayed range. The HV battery performing optimally based on fleet averages. No repairs are needed at this time, displayed range is purely an estimated value based on operating conditions and ambient conditions.

They then cancelled my appointment. So these guys are saying essentially that the rated range is based upon my driving history. This contradicts what I have read on this forum before. :( Not sure what to belive at this point.

Reactions: KenC and ngogas
This is actually reassuring (I think) as mine is same month and mileage and rates about the same.

I did a 3.25 hour drive yesterday and based on reported kWh/mile about 7 additional percent of battery capacity was lost “outside” of the reported battery usage from the drive.

I did kick on a little heat (67F) about an hour out which accounts for some of it, but other things are obviously using power (or the drive power consumption figure is off).

10/2018 build date AWD 90% charge is around 263-265.
12500 miles.

The production date may be a distraction, and it may be more related to miles. Most cars of the same production date have similar miles on them. Maybe this is a 10-12k mike thing?
That’s where my first noticeable tick down was, around 12K. That was only 2% (to 305), then a slow slope to 298 around 18K(?) then near flat for about 20K more.

But I’m at 45K now, and this big step about 297? to 282 at 100% happened between 38K and 44K. I can’t hang it on an update # like others that watch it closely can, nor can I say exactly how steep my drop was. If it was overnight like some have seen, but it would be consistent with that. So this is likely independent of vehicle age and even mileage, while there is other less drastic drops that happen largely linked to use/mileage.

My car API shows only 283 mile range at 28K miles an 1 year old. I made an appointment for the calculated amperage capacity reset. Here is the text I got yesterday from Tesla service:

Performed remote diagnosis on the high voltage (HV) battery. During testing found the battery management system is operating without fault at this time. During review of driving habits I found for the last 27,470 miles the wh/mi where 281wh/mi. For max driving range the vehicle needs to be at 245 Wh/mi. During the review of the charging habits of the vehicle it was noted the vehicle is not being deep cycled often. Technician recommends setting the charge limit to 80% or 90% and not plugging in the vehicle until it reaches 20% . This will allow the battery management system to make the best estimate of displayed range. The HV battery performing optimally based on fleet averages. No repairs are needed at this time, displayed range is purely an estimated value based on operating conditions and ambient conditions.

They then cancelled my appointment. So these guys are saying essentially that the rated range is based upon my driving history. This contradicts what I have read on this forum before. :( Not sure what to belive at this point.

so again they say it’s based on driving habit. Might be so then.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My attempted LR AWD "full charge" yesterday stopped at 97% (285 mi indicated) before stopping. I thought the cars would continue to charge to "100% indicated", even with degradation. What's with this?

2019-10-18 Phoenix 3 - Full Charge attempt - Charging screenshot.jpg

My attempted LR AWD "full charge" yesterday stopped at 97% (285 mi indicated) before stopping. I thought the cars would continue to charge to "100% indicated", even with degradation. What's with this?

View attachment 467946
It does this if your battery isn’t balanced enough. The voltages across the modules/cells vary too much too allow charging to continue so the BMS stops the charging until it has time to balance enough.

If you restated it, remotely my dropping the Set point and then raising it again, it would have come closer. That much though probably needs at least a couple hours wait, potentially overnight, to allow 100.

If you

It's not. I hate to disparage a Tesla tech or come off as condescending but most franchise mechanics are adept at very few tasks and might be able to perform what to you and I seems like insanely complicated jobs but often they do so without even a basic understanding what caused the very failure they're fixing. It's a flowchart. Try this. If this is broken, fix. If this is not broken check x. If x is broken, fix. If x is ok check the resistance of y.

I had a friend who was an Audi mechanic. He specialized in the R8's and performed all the engine out services. He knew how to remove an engine and replace components but he had a tenuous grasp of the inner workings of the engine.

Teslas (at least since the S) have never displayed range taking driving habits into account. They don't do this despite many wishing they would! :-D It's the very reason threads like "post you're 90% charge" exist. If you don't believe me, start driving like a grandma and watch your efficiency improve while your indicated range stays the same.

E8D1A099-2570-48C8-8DD2-937F277B4D86.jpeg
It's not. I hate to disparage a Tesla tech or come off as condescending but most franchise mechanics are adept at very few tasks and might be able to perform what to you and I seems like insanely complicated jobs but often they do so without even a basic understanding what caused the very failure they're fixing. It's a flowchart. Try this. If this is broken, fix. If this is not broken check x. If x is broken, fix. If x is ok check the resistance of y.

I had a friend who was an Audi mechanic. He specialized in the R8's and performed all the engine out services. He knew how to remove an engine and replace components but he had a tenuous grasp of the inner workings of the engine.

Teslas (at least since the S) have never displayed range taking driving habits into account. They don't do this despite many wishing they would! :-D It's the very reason threads like "post you're 90% charge" exist. If you don't believe me, start driving like a grandma and watch your efficiency improve while your indicated range stays the same.

As an experiment, I actually drove like a grandma for 2k-3k miles and my rated range improved. Mileage took a hit when I went on a big road trip this summer and I have been driving less efficiently ever since (it turns out that driving like a grandma is pretty boring).

I shared the battery degradation graph from the stats app earlier but here it is again.

Reactions: BZM3 and KenC
New Tesla owner here, so forgive me if I’m asking the wrong questions! I’ve got a LR AWD, August 2019 build, 1300 miles, 2019.32.12.2. My 90% is now showing 272. Daily use is about 40 miles and recharging at work when at 100-120 miles left or so. It’s been consistently showing 279 before. It’s my first time charging at home and leaving it on the charger (using a nema 6-20 we had installed for some woodworking equipment). We are also planning a ~320 mile round trip this week and will be stopping at a supercharger. Are my charging habits not ideal? Should I be even worried that it shows 272 instead of 279? Thanks all!