Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Monday it dropped to 242, so now I’m at about a 3% loss of range at the 80% mark (but 4% at the 100% mark since my Max soc is now 298, down from 306 a week ago, down from 310 about 2-3 months ago, a 12 mile loss of range that’s about 4%. I’ve tried all the “battery conditioning” steps and they are all useless.

I’ve also been doing what the Tesla tech said, to wait about two hours after a drive before charging to “hopefully slowly get that number to rise over time” and that’s so far done nothing either. I expect it to keep dropping. The percentage readout still shows 100%, but the car is sold in terms of range and so that’s what I’m paying attention to.

The Tesla tech I met with last week in SoCal has said it’s not uncommon to see Tesla’s at about 1 year at a max range of 280-290! He said they can escalate this but that it likely won’t go anywhere with engineering. He said they may offer to reset the battery system as a courtesy just-this-once as a goodwill gesture without incurring a cost, but that’s a once-only proposition. He also said they hate doing that as it wreaks havoc on the BMS. So I’m not sure I wanna go there yet. But I’m not sure when this car will stop losing range. It’s been a steady decline from 252 at 80% to 246 over maybe 7-8 weeks and then a 4 day drop from 246 to 242 just last week.

Can anyone post their current range details and mileage/age as comparison, I’ll be happy to make a spreadsheet out of the answers. I don’t buy that it’s ok that after a year you lose 10% when the warranty on the battery for 8 years is at a 20% loss.
Just reporting back on this.

Last Monday it dropped to 242, so now I’m at about a 3% loss of range at the 80% mark (but 4% at the 100% mark since my Max soc is now 298, down from 306 a week ago, down from 310 about 2-3 months ago, a 12 mile loss of range that’s about 4%. I’ve tried all the “battery conditioning” steps and they are all useless.

I’ve also been doing what the Tesla tech said, to wait about two hours after a drive before charging to “hopefully slowly get that number to rise over time” and that’s so far done nothing either. I expect it to keep dropping. The percentage readout still shows 100%, but the car is sold in terms of range and so that’s what I’m paying attention to.

The Tesla tech I met with last week in SoCal has said it’s not uncommon to see Tesla’s at about 1 year at a max range of 280-290! He said they can escalate this but that it likely won’t go anywhere with engineering. He said they may offer to reset the battery system as a courtesy just-this-once as a goodwill gesture without incurring a cost, but that’s a once-only proposition. He also said they hate doing that as it wreaks havoc on the BMS. So I’m not sure I wanna go there yet. But I’m not sure when this car will stop losing range. It’s been a steady decline from 252 at 80% to 246 over maybe 7-8 weeks and then a 4 day drop from 246 to 242 just last week.

Can anyone post their current range details and mileage/age as comparison, I’ll be happy to make a spreadsheet out of the answers. I don’t buy that it’s ok that after a year you lose 10% when the warranty on the battery for 8 years is at a 20% loss.
Here's a chart I found for Models S and X:
upload_2019-10-6_6-23-0.jpg

Of course, you have to turn kilometers into miles, but based upon the above data, it would seem to me that 2.5% degradation is the norm after a year, and 5% after 50km or about 2 to 3years of average driving. Notice how it drops initially, then gradually tapers off, so the degradation is not linear.

Another chart that was posted recently to Twitter from the Stats developer: I've added a few lines to help eyeball it:
battery_violin_1.png
Here, the chart shows histograms every 1000 miles of users of Stats, for both DM and single-motor Model 3. At the start, you see the range estimate is centered on 310 miles. By one year, around 10k to 12k miles, you can see the average, the histogram peaks are between 302 and 304 miles, about 2.5% to 3% degradation. Matches the data from above on the Models S and X.

Now, look at the red dashed line I drew at 280 and 290 miles. There's literally, less than 1% of owners showing less than 290 miles. I'm sure the tech is right that he's seen cars at 280 to 290 miles, but it's certainly not common.

Here's a chart I found for Models S and X:
View attachment 469570
Of course, you have to turn kilometers into miles, but based upon the above data, it would seem to me that 2.5% degradation is the norm after a year, and 5% after 50km or about 2 to 3years of average driving. Notice how it drops initially, then gradually tapers off, so the degradation is not linear.

Now, look at the red dashed line I drew at 280 and 290 miles. There's literally, less than 1% of owners showing less than 290 miles. I'm sure the tech is right that he's seen cars at 280 to 290 miles, but it's certainly not common.

Yes, so I'm at just under 4% at 11 months and 10k miles (16km), Sad face. I'll take note and update in a couple weeks (or sooner if a big drop happens), if nothing else to memorialize this.

Yes, so I'm at just under 4% at 11 months and 10k miles (16km), Sad face. I'll take note and update in a couple weeks (or sooner if a big drop happens), if nothing else to memorialize this.
So, what's your charging strategy? There seems to be little rhyme or reason why someone gets lots or little degradation. The only thing I'd try is changing your strategy. If you've been charging to 90% daily, and have more deg than you'd like, try changing that to charging to 75% for a couple weeks. And vice versa.
Here's my chart, from a month ago:
IMG_3609.jpg

Originally, I charged to 90%, because I got the car in Winter. My range estimates were as low as 290miles. When Spring hit, I switched to 75 to 80%, and my range estimate improved. As you can see, it varies from 306 to 314 miles, but is mostly around 308 to 310 miles. The part of the chart you can't see, before 2000 miles was when I was getting as low as 290 miles estimated.

I don’t buy that it’s ok that after a year you lose 10% when the warranty on the battery for 8 years is at a 20% loss.

The warranty is for 8 years 30% loss, not 20%. Also as others said its not linear on model S and X, it tapers off after the first year or so. Below directly from the tesla warranty manual located in my tesla account (so should be in yours too), on page 5.

==========================================

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for a period of:

• Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015 that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles/200,000 km, whichever comes first).

• Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period.

• Model 3 with Long Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles (192,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period.

Reactions: Dariushd
New Tesla owner here, so forgive me if I’m asking the wrong questions! I’ve got a LR AWD, August 2019 build, 1300 miles, 2019.32.12.2. My 90% is now showing 272. Daily use is about 40 miles and recharging at work when at 100-120 miles left or so. It’s been consistently showing 279 before. It’s my first time charging at home and leaving it on the charger (using a nema 6-20 we had installed for some woodworking equipment). We are also planning a ~320 mile round trip this week and will be stopping at a supercharger. Are my charging habits not ideal? Should I be even worried that it shows 272 instead of 279? Thanks all!
I wouldn't be worried about the your car showing 272 instead of 279. My bet is that the drop occurred immediately after you upgraded the firmware on your car. That is what I, and many others have experienced. It's pretty apparent that Tesla chose to report a lower mileage than previously.

This is exactly what I've been doing ever since I got my car little over 2 months ago. Recently I am noticing drop in miles to 275 when 90% and 259 when 85%. They used to be 279 and 263 respectively. I only have about 2500 miles on the car...

I'm quoting my own post just to see if anyone might be able to assist... My car is now at 3900 miles and when charged to 90%, I'm seeing 269-270 miles. When charged to 85%, I'm seeing 254-255 miles. Can this still be considered normal? I charge everyday to 85-90% overnight at home, after driving about 60 miles daily (except weekends). No I haven't charged to 100% nor have gone below 50%. Am I not giving proper practice to the battery? Is there something I can do to stop this degradation (if it is indeed already degrading after only 3900 miles?)? Do I need to contact Tesla about this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I'm quoting my own post just to see if anyone might be able to assist... My car is now at 3900 miles and when charged to 90%, I'm seeing 269-270 miles. When charged to 85%, I'm seeing 254-255 miles. Can this still be considered normal? I charge everyday to 85-90% overnight at home, after driving about 60 miles daily (except weekends). No I haven't charged to 100% nor have gone below 50%. Am I not giving proper practice to the battery? Is there something I can do to stop this degradation (if it is indeed already degrading after only 3900 miles?)? Do I need to contact Tesla about this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

That is ~3% reduction. Totally normal if it's real, but it may not be. Degradation is not linear; higher at the beginning and then will level out (at least historically based on X and S).

It's possible some of the missing range is due to BMS estimates not being accurate. You could try exercising the lower end of SOC (down to about 20%) for a couple weeks. May or may not do anything for you.

• Informative
Reactions: joonrhee
300 is your estimate. That's at the low edge of normal. Going below 50% is fine. Don't avoid it. You may want to try setting your charge to 75% for weekdays and higher for weekends.
battery_violin_1.png

That's a set of histograms from Stats users. You would be the 5th histogram from the left, at 4k miles. I put a dashed red line at 300 miles, so you're in the rightmost tail of the histogram, which if I remember stats class, puts you somewhere in the bottom 3%. Of course, we don't know how many cars are in the dataset at 4k miles.

As mentioned above, I would lower your charge set limit during the week.

300 is your estimate. That's at the low edge of normal. Going below 50% is fine. Don't avoid it. You may want to try setting your charge to 75% for weekdays and higher for weekends.
View attachment 470815
That's a set of histograms from Stats users. You would be the 5th histogram from the left, at 4k miles. I put a dashed red line at 300 miles, so you're in the rightmost tail of the histogram, which if I remember stats class, puts you somewhere in the bottom 3%. Of course, we don't know how many cars are in the dataset at 4k miles.

As mentioned above, I would lower your charge set limit during the week.

May I ask the reason for charging only up to 75% during weekdays and higher on weekends? Is the purpose to let me drive down to below 50%? Also, I don't drive on weekends so still ok to charge higher?

May I ask the reason for charging only up to 75% during weekdays and higher on weekends? Is the purpose to let me drive down to below 50%? Also, I don't drive on weekends so still ok to charge higher?
the data seems to show, keeping the battery around 50% is optimal, so 70 to 30 is better than 90 to 50. Of course, the benefits are usually quite tiny and take time, but for people worried about some small deg, if it helps them sleep better, why not try it, if there's no inconvenience.

For a 60 mile commute, you can basically choose whatever charge limit you like; and for weekends, you may want to do a longer trip. However, if you have a SC near you, you can always just keep your car at 75%, and then hit the SC if you need to make a longer trip.

Reactions: joonrhee
I think it just means they have different driving / charging situations, not that all the batteries are defective.
You think that because your battery is fine =). I've read dozens of similar threads. PLENTY of us do precisely what you do - plug in as soon as we get home. Some charge to 90%, some to 80%. Most of us baby our batteries. Mine has lost 13% of capacity in a year and a half. Pretty much all of it in the last six months. First year it was complete rock solid, it charged to EXACTLY 250 at 80% when LR RWD range was 310 and moved to 260 when they bumped it to 325. Now I get around 226 on an 80% charge (that number moves around, it's not rock solid like it used to be).

Reactions: morepizza and JBT66
You think that because your battery is fine =). I've read dozens of similar threads. PLENTY of us do precisely what you do - plug in as soon as we get home. Some charge to 90%, some to 80%. Most of us baby our batteries. Mine has lost 13% of capacity in a year and a half. Pretty much all of it in the last six months. First year it was complete rock solid, it charged to EXACTLY 250 at 80% when LR RWD range was 310 and moved to 260 when they bumped it to 325. Now I get around 226 on an 80% charge (that number moves around, it's not rock solid like it used to be).

13% is quite a lot, what odometer are you sitting at after 1 year? Sounds like a software issue if so many are affected.

AWD LR here, i use supercharge every time but i only charge 2 or 3 times a month. I used to have 279 for 90% charge. It has dropped to 270 and now 268 for 90%. Even though I don't get 279 for 90%, i have correct mile for other percentages. For example, 186 miles for 60%, 124 miles for 40%, etc.....

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
AWD LR here, i use supercharge every time but i only charge 2 or 3 times a month. I used to have 279 for 90% charge. It has dropped to 270 and now 268 for 90%. Even though I don't get 279 for 90%, i have correct mile for other percentages. For example, 186 miles for 60%, 124 miles for 40%, etc.....

I have the same experience as you do only I am at 265 at 90% down from 279.