Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if lettingtthe battery drop below 50% and charging to 90% nightly is recommended, what does someone who only drives 30-50 miles a day do? Do they let it go without charging for a few days until the battery % drops below 50%? Or do they just plug it in and charge to 90% every night no matter what the charge level dropped to?

Not sure how accurate this is, but I read from another post somewhere that the recommendation is to just plug it in every night and charge to 90%. Even if you only go around the block. Again, can't vouch for that, but that's what a Service Center told someone else here in the forums.

It seems like a regular exercising of the battery all around is sort of what keeps things in check. Maybe charge it every night to 90% and then once a month drop it to under 20% and then back up to 100%, where you'd then drive it back to 90% so it doesn't sit at 100. I think that's what I was wanting to come up with - some guidelines for people to follow if they drive only short distances, medium, or large distances every day. Will take some time to get there - the most data/information we share the more information we can base those suggestions on.

Reactions: rlb4
Not sure how accurate this is, but I read from another post somewhere that the recommendation is to just plug it in every night and charge to 90%. Even if you only go around the block. Again, can't vouch for that, but that's what a Service Center told someone else here in the forums.

It seems like a regular exercising of the battery all around is sort of what keeps things in check. Maybe charge it every night to 90% and then once a month drop it to under 20% and then back up to 100%, where you'd then drive it back to 90% so it doesn't sit at 100. I think that's what I was wanting to come up with - some guidelines for people to follow if they drive only short distances, medium, or large distances every day. Will take some time to get there - the most data/information we share the more information we can base those suggestions on.

Li-Ion batteries don't like extremes, they prefer to sit around 50% most of the time. So keeping them charged at 90% for extended periods is not as good for them as closer to 50%, though it's definitely better than 100% or close to 0%. I did the 90% every night with my P85D's first battery and it degraded faster than the second battery, which followed my habits below:

My charging habits now are to only charge to 80% once or twice a week. I rarely use the car during the week so I let it sit in my garage anywhere between 30% and 70%. Once I need it for longer drives during the weekend, I'll charge it the night before to 80%, sometimes 90% for longer trips, but in either case I make sure it completes the charge only a half hour or an hour before I have to leave.

Once every few months I'll charge to 100% just before starting a long drive, drain it to near 10%, then charge again (sometimes at an SC, sometimes at home after the day-trip is over). My goal with the 100% charge is to rebalance the pack once in a while, and get a more accurate reading from the BMS on battery capacity and health.

Doing all this, I've only lost a little over 1% of my Model 3's battery capacity since I got the car early this year, and I have 10,000 miles on the odometer now. My most recent 100% charge from a month ago showed 306.12 rate miles (RM). Previous 100% charge from August was 308.96 RM, and first two 100% charges earlier this year were exactly 310.00 RM.

My suggestion for those of you who drive your cars more regularly, such as daily commutes, is to charge early morning before going to work and only proportionally to an SoC that is equidistant to 50% based on your commute. For example, if driving to work consumes 35% of your battery, then charge to 85% so when you arrive at work, you'll have about 50% left. The battery will happily sit at that SoC for several hours, then you'll drive it home and get down to 15%. Plug it in at night and have it charge until it reaches 85%, charging at a rate such that you leave for work again the next morning only a few minutes (or up to an hour) after the charge is complete.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents from driving Teslas for the last 5 years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcw0818 and KenC
My suggestion for those of you who drive your cars more regularly, such as daily commutes, is to charge early morning before going to work and only proportionally to an SoC that is equidistant to 50% based on your commute. For example, if driving to work consumes 35% of your battery, then charge to 85% so when you arrive at work, you'll have about 50% left. The battery will happily sit at that SoC for several hours, then you'll drive it home and get down to 15%. Plug it in at night and have it charge until it reaches 85%, charging at a rate such that you leave for work again the next morning only a few minutes (or up to an hour) after the charge is complete.
That's pretty reasonable but I think your are leaving off one VERY important point. Allow enough extra that if during the day you can get to your loved ones if there was an emergency. For example, initially, my son was doing as you suggested as he has a long commute and only 16 amp charging. So now he charges up enough so when he is at work and were to get an emergency call about a loved one he has enough to get them easily EVEN if he is speeding/driving_hard.

You would think Tesla would have specific guidelines for what is best.

They do, FWIW. Probably the below recommendation is best for the battery, but may not be the best for accuracy of the estimated range from the BMS.

Model 3 Owners Manual said:
The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it.

With 8,655 miles, in about 1 year, 90% is about 272 miles vs. 279 miles new. We haven't had true 90% top off for awhile so we are actively trying to recalibrate by hitting 90% regularly.

I've noticed that the 90% line seems to be stopping at 89% a lot. I wish you could type the % vs. the slider, which is sometimes off, despite it's lock feature.

Based on my experience driving a Tesla for 250k miles and the recent #batterygate issue, I would highly recommend to avoid the higher state of charge as much as possible. Tesla has locked out the top 5-10% of many old batteries in the hopes it will make them last passed the warranty period so they don't have to deal with those. The fact that they are limiting the max charge voltage on those older batteries shows that is the most damaging condition. Avoiding that will help the most.

Recent research has also shown that Tesla's Lithium batteries seem to have 'self healing' abilities. At low state of charge some of the negative conditions that cause battery degradation are actually (to some extend) reversed. So keep the car at low state of charge is beneficial. A simple practical way to do this is to use the charge timer. When you come back home at night and plug in, don't start charging right away. Set the timer so it will start later. Ideally just in time so it finishes charging when you drive the car again the next day. This will keep the battery at a lower state of charge for a longer time and not affect your daily driving habits.

Limit supercharging to those times you need it. Again, the fact that Tesla has reduced the charge rate on superchargers on old cars significantly speaks for itself. My car charges about half as fast as it used to. Don't be fooled by the recent update that lets old car peak at 130 kW. That just happens for seconds to make you feel good. The charge rate drops quickly to a low level. It even slows down more towards the higher state of charge levels. A 100% charge took 1:10h when my car was new, now it takes 3:20h.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and KenC
Based on my experience driving a Tesla for 250k miles and the recent #batterygate issue, I would highly recommend to avoid the higher state of charge as much as possible. Tesla has locked out the top 5-10% of many old batteries in the hopes it will make them last passed the warranty period so they don't have to deal with those. The fact that they are limiting the max charge voltage on those older batteries shows that is the most damaging condition. Avoiding that will help the most.

Recent research has also shown that Tesla's Lithium batteries seem to have 'self healing' abilities. At low state of charge some of the negative conditions that cause battery degradation are actually (to some extend) reversed. So keep the car at low state of charge is beneficial. A simple practical way to do this is to use the charge timer. When you come back home at night and plug in, don't start charging right away. Set the timer so it will start later. Ideally just in time so it finishes charging when you drive the car again the next day. This will keep the battery at a lower state of charge for a longer time and not affect your daily driving habits.

Limit supercharging to those times you need it. Again, the fact that Tesla has reduced the charge rate on superchargers on old cars significantly speaks for itself. My car charges about half as fast as it used to. Don't be fooled by the recent update that lets old car peak at 130 kW. That just happens for seconds to make you feel good. The charge rate drops quickly to a low level. It even slows down more towards the higher state of charge levels. A 100% charge took 1:10h when my car was new, now it takes 3:20h.
Great post, when you say “low state of charge” what level are you talking about? 60, 50, something less?

About the self-healing, do you think the different battery chemistry of the 3 vs the S, makes any difference?

Great post, when you say “low state of charge” what level are you talking about? 60, 50, something less?

About the self-healing, do you think the different battery chemistry of the 3 vs the S, makes any difference?

I don't know the details about this self healing process. It was mentioned by a guy who has done a lot of research on battery degradation. He posted here on TMC a few times. He didn't elaborate on that subject, though. But either way, it is a known fact that lithium batteries degrade far less when stored at low state of charge. Since you don't want to discharge lower than 10% either I'd say between 20 and 30% is good. Since Tesla reserves the bottom 5-8% as protection already you can subtract that.

The Model 3 cells definitely have different chemistry than the early Teslas like mine. But the difference is additives that help with certain issues. Fundamentally the cells are very similar. Both are Lithium Ion cells that work on the same principle. What is good for one is certainly good for the others. The additives help with some effects but don't change fundamentally how the cells work.

• Informative
Reactions: Allistah and KenC
Here's my usage:
4 days a week : I'm driving 150mi per day, which is close to 60% battery usage.
3 days a week : 0 to 20mi drive.

I'm trying to find the best practice for my charging. I have a 240 (30A) charger at home.

Should I set my daily charge to 90% ? So i would be in the 30-90% range 4x/week and plugged in my garage at 90% the other 3 days?

Here's my usage:
4 days a week : I'm driving 150mi per day, which is close to 60% battery usage.
3 days a week : 0 to 20mi drive.

I'm trying to find the best practice for my charging. I have a 240 (30A) charger at home.

Should I set my daily charge to 90% ? So i would be in the 30-90% range 4x/week and plugged in my garage at 90% the other 3 days?

I would charge the car at lower amps other days when car is usually parked and try plugging in regular 120 V wall outlet to extend the battery life once in a while. As quoted by other EV owners who has driven over 100K miles and seen as little as 5 to 7 percent degradation, is mainly by keeping the battery between 10 and 90% with median charging speed around 32 amps.

• Love
Reactions: jonquiljo
And now my m3 has gone down to 237. I’ve got TeslaFi running and I’ll post the chart after some more data gathering time. Seems like the drop is not yet leveling off, but perhaps accelerating a little due to the colder night weather. That’s a loss of 15 miles from my peak of 252 (6%) and a loss of 11 from my original 80% of 248 (4.5%) before whatever update got me to 252. Trying not to let it freak me out.

Like I said before in another thread, I must have a unicorn model 3P.

Mine's just a lowly LR AWD, but I'm right there with you. I really think there's something to the 90%-set-it-and-forget-it.

IMG_8F3834D0C78F-1.jpeg

Mine's just a lowly LR AWD, but I'm right there with you. I really think there's something to the 90%-set-it-and-forget-it.

View attachment 481574

I have lost 6 miles since I posted that, somewhere around 15.5k miles or so, and around some update or other I got. Mid october it dropped from 279 to 279 in one day, then went back up to 272 where it now sits with 16.4k miles on the odo.

I havent changed anything (90% set and forget, basically). Note, I am not complaining in the slightest, just giving the data point that I "lost" 7 miles. I dont know if I have or not, it doesnt effect my usage of the car in the slightest, and doesnt bother me in the slightest.

Yeah they said to keep charging to 90% and that it would take a month or two for things to stable out. That drives me insane. I'll change up when I charge, but will just keep it at 90% I guess. I wish they would put some time into this to see if there was anything they could do to make this a better experience for people.