Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR RWD; 40xxx VIN; 7/18 door date; ~14K mi showing approx 8% degradation (worse than my Gen 1 Leaf). Sudden rapid degradation in the last 500 miles, no significant correlation to SW versions.

View attachment 482585 Battery has been babied. No supercharges (ever); 48A HPWC daily charge to 80% for most commuting days (55mi round-trip). Average SoC between 80% and 50%.

View attachment 482590
Your current 100% is the same as my 6/2018 LR RWD.

Hi,

I just want to know if i am experiencing battery degradation already. I bought my car last September 2019 and saw that 100% charge is 378KM.

After the V10 update, I saw my 100% drop to 370KM. Just today, I suddenly see my 100% drop to 366KM.

My question is...
(1) Is the mileage available displayed based on driver habits and history of driving style?
(2) Did i experience degradation already? How can i determine if this is true or not?
(3) And how can i determine if battery degradation already happened? is there a computation for this?

Really hope you can help me out.

By the way I have not drained my batter to 10%. Lowest it got was around 18%

Thank you

I have an appointment in service center in 2 days about battery degradation but now i read this thread and see its not a big deal 4k miles 4% degradation? Its something with update?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191124-121801_Chrome (1).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 37
Similar to most of the prior posts I started with a Model 3 LR AWD and 310 miles of rated range about 12 months ago. Now with 20k miles on the odometer my rated range is down to about 280. I opened a ticket with Tesla in September to complain. They told me to "cycle" the battery as others here have discussed. That didn't really seem to change anything.

My Q -- is is there a "degradation" that Tesla would consider "abnormal" justifying more than just some emailed advice? i.e. when should I call them back to complain again?

My Q -- is is there a "degradation" that Tesla would consider "abnormal" justifying more than just some emailed advice? i.e. when should I call them back to complain again?

When you get to 217 rated miles at 100% (30% degradation), then you can get back in contact with them. That's the warranty limit (assuming you're not over 120k miles/8 years).

Reactions: MP3Mike
Similar to most of the prior posts I started with a Model 3 LR AWD and 310 miles of rated range about 12 months ago. Now with 20k miles on the odometer my rated range is down to about 280. I opened a ticket with Tesla in September to complain. They told me to "cycle" the battery as others here have discussed. That didn't really seem to change anything.

I am curios to know your charging strategy. Do you keep your car plugged in and charge it to 90%? do you charge it every day? Also when you try to run it to lets say 10% SOC, does it look like it is going to exceed the 280 rated miles or not? 20k miles in one year is a good amount of miles, do you supercharge a lot? I am asking these as a new owner to figure out how my charging strategy should be.

My batter seems to drain 5 miles per day just when parked, for the full day in a parking lot while I am in another country. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal, especially if you use 3rd party apps, or you have data sharing enabled (most people do) and anything plugged into USB ports. Best case if you go through a complicated strategy of turning off several features prior to leaving the car (cannot be done remotely), you can get it to 1-2 miles per day.

To avoid waking up the car, use the widget associated with the Tesla app on your phone. That will not wake the car but provide you the last known charge state (and it will tell you when that was).

• Informative
Reactions: Chronic
Didn't see this mentioned but cold weather will definitely affect your battery drain as it uses additional energy to keep your battery warm and additional system checks.

As others mentioned to check the following that will contribute to battery drain
- Sentry Mode
- Summon Standby Mode
- Overheat Cabin Protection
- Constant checking phone app that wakes the vehicle

The official threshold is 30% degradation within the battery warranty period (which is generously long).
It still doesn't seem reasonable to have >10% missing capacity on the car when it is new, especially when all the advice is followed with charging/driving habits.

Many owners report minimal degradation proving it is not typical for these cars to have significant missing capacity.

If this is all an issue with the BMS at the end of the day then it is important we get a way to reset/improve this so that we can safely use the available "true" capacity. Because driving around while the display says "0%" is not safe or feasible.