Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s 36F (2C) outside and my 90% charge is 275 miles.

2019 LR AWD; 12,000 miles.

Set the charger to 90% and forget it.

Livin’ the dream here, folks.

CB1B4A96-25E5-401E-8C63-B47FA7860966.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hope someone can help me out since Tesla in my country is in my opinion completely uses less because they sell to much tesla but they cannot support it.

I’m having a model 3 long range. Battery is draining insane. The battery efficiency is 60% and temperature are not that low. I have been doing full charges and driving never faster than 55 miles. I’m getting on a fully charge only 173 miles!!

why did I do based on the forum topics you guys have provided?

1. I did a soft reset
2. Hard reset
3. Turn it sentry and smart sentry on the 3rh party app
4. I regularly check tire pressure.
5. I have disconnected Bluetooth device
6. I have disconnected recording devices

what is going on and is this normal? Any other suggestions?
9E8D3E34-FE31-4183-84D5-6DFEE4AB0F1B.png

You should try and talk in km, it will be easier to see. Also, write down your trips with screenshots and reset before each trip.

A) Write down what you are using - seat heater, climate (if yes, what setting - AC on/off, Auto on/off or if auto off at what speed and which parts enabled etc. everything) and report your consumption - write down how you drove - as exact as possible. You are in Holland so no hills:)
B) You also have to mention which Model 3 exactly you are driving and with which tyres and size.
C) At warm temperature, what is the app saying when you pull the charge lever to 100% in km?
D) You should also disable sentry mode (plug out the stick) and disable access of 3rd party apps - change your password or if you used tokens, try and ask the dev to erase you because it can take 30 days and these apps still log and pull kWh if not properly coded or setup.

Hope someone can help me out since Tesla in my country is in my opinion completely uses less because they sell to much tesla but they cannot support it.

I’m having a model 3 long range. Battery is draining insane. The battery efficiency is 60% and temperature are not that low. I have been doing full charges and driving never faster than 55 miles. I’m getting on a fully charge only 173 miles!!

1. I did a soft reset
2. Hard reset

View attachment 504400

Looks normal. Turn off HVAC entirely for a few days (press and hold fan until it goes gray) and report back. Be sure to not use heat or AC at all. If you need to defog I would just not drive for the purposes of this experiment (though you could turn temp to “minimum,” turn off AC, turn off recirc, and increase fan speed and that should be ok for helping clear fog without using heat).

Looks normal. Turn off HVAC entirely for a few days (press and hold fan until it goes gray) and report back. Be sure to not use heat or AC at all. If you need to defog I would just not drive for the purposes of this experiment (though you could turn temp to “minimum,” turn off AC, turn off recirc, and increase fan speed and that should be ok for helping clear fog without using heat).
Nice experiment to see if this is the cause. Again. I would be disappointed if these options are the reason for almost 40/50% battery loss. Nonetheless I will try it next week

Nice experiment to see if this is the cause. Again. I would be disappointed if these options are the reason for almost 40/50% battery loss. Nonetheless I will try it next week

It could easily be the reason. What is your average travel speed and what are your typical outside temperatures? This can be easily roughly quantified with that information.

1. I did a soft reset
2. Hard reset

View attachment 504400
First, your phantom drain rate seems strangely high, given that you've turned off Sentry and Smart Sentry. It's not terrible, but if you've turned off Sentry and the temps aren't bad, then the drain rate seems strangely high. Is there anything else that could be draining? By the way, what are your temps?

What does your car show for lifetime Wh/km? Around 156Wh/km?

When looking at the bottom of your image, the 15kWh/100km seems normal, right? I mean, exactly normal. And then looking at the other lower corner, the kms added, 430km; and the kWh added, 65.47, also works out to a normal figure. That's for your previous charge.

The only figure that looks wrong is the current Efficiency figure, but that's based upon the last 50 km, right? Were you doing anything different than from your previous 430km trip, since that figure looks totally normal.

Again. I would be disappointed if these options are the reason for almost 40/50% battery loss.

Again, on a road trip you’ll do much better due to lower average consumption and higher average speed. So this is a cost added but should have no day-to-day impact.

This can be easily roughly quantified with that information.

For you, it is probably reasonable that you’ll use a minimum of 3kW for heating + AC. If you average 50km/hr that means 3000W/50km = 60Wh/km adder to your consumption which is obviously significant. It’s just the way things go in urban driving.

First, your phantom drain rate seems strangely high, given that you've turned off Sentry and Smart Sentry. It's not terrible, but if you've turned off Sentry and the temps aren't bad, then the drain rate seems strangely high. I

Does not seem that high to me. Must be a fair amount of variability between cars or something. Just checked my averages in Stats - looks like an average of about 9 miles/day for me (0.4mi/day) Hard to believe, but it is what it is... this is more like 13mi/day but as you say, using various features could drive that up. Also I think Stats may not be able to distinguish losses due to battery cooling from actual losses (though it sounds like it is possible with API information available).

Last edited:
it’s the app, Stats, that’s constantly waking up you car in background. I am using Stats and had the problem too. You have to disable background refresh in Stats through iOS setting. Otherwise, your car will never go to sleep.

1. I did a soft reset
2. Hard reset

View attachment 504400

I have a question. When i got my SR+ on 12/16, the range at 100% was at 233. I noticed lately that full charge gets me to 228. Not a huge @ 2% but why exactly is that? The car is new, and only has like 500 miles on it. I live in Chicago where its been cold since i have had the car and have really only had the car when its been cold out so i get to experience range loss from day 1.

When it gets warm, is this a whole new experience where the range gain is noticeable?

I have a question. When i got my SR+ on 12/16, the range at 100% was at 233. I noticed lately that full charge gets me to 228. Not a huge @ 2% but why exactly is that? The car is new, and only has like 500 miles on it. I live in Chicago where its been cold since i have had the car and have really only had the car when its been cold out so i get to experience range loss from day 1.

When it gets warm, is this a whole new experience where the range gain is noticeable?
According to my experience, the displayed range won't change. The ratio between the percentage and the mileage will be the same. However, your car will be a lot more efficient with no heater and better regen.

Still in Winter, when your battery is cold, you will not be able to charge to 100%.
However, if you manage to warm up your battery, you'll have the same display indication than in Summer.

Wow, I think I’m the worst off here. Looking at 10% battery degradation after 24,000 miles. P3D- with areo wheels. Charge every night at home to 80% usually.

250 @ 90%
279 @ 100%

I’m thinking about contacting Tesla but I expect to get the standard “degradation is normal” response.

Wow, I think I’m the worst off here. Looking at 10% battery degradation after 24,000 miles. P3D- with areo wheels. Charge every night at home to 80% usually.

250 @ 90%
279 @ 100%

I’m thinking about contacting Tesla but I expect to get the standard “degradation is normal” response.

Yeah, that's not great. But not far off some numbers I've seen. That's about 279rmi*245Wh/rmi = 68.4kWh, which is about 12.5% lower than the ~78kWh you likely started with. It's possible you started with as low as 76.5 or 77kWh I suppose, in which case it would only be ~10%. Curious: how many miles & months before you first started noticing loss of range? If it was sooner than most, it's possible/likely you just started with a few % less energy than most people...

Definitely it seems like this amount of capacity loss is "normal" (not the same as common) based on reports here.

250 @ 90%
279 @ 100%

More likely BMS uncalibrated. As always my advice to you is - don't charge daily and charge only when you go down to 10-20% and then to 90%. Do that for 2 months consistently and report back wether the BMD calibrated itself.

More likely BMS uncalibrated. As always my advice to you is - don't charge daily and charge only when you go down to 10-20% and then to 90%. Do that for 2 months consistently and report back wether the BMD calibrated itself.

I've been doing this for for a few months now and it has worked the best for me. I went from 254 mi at 90% up to 264 mi now. I tried multiple discharge below 10% then full charge to 100% but that seemed to make it worse.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra