Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both of my cars now sit at 300 miles at 100% but neither gets 300 miles in reality. I started tracking my miles and noticed every day it loses around 8 miles of range just from sitting. Also for example I drive 35 miles but it deducts 40miles even if my efficient is at 212 kw/mi.

It's fine as it doesn't really affect actual usage because I still have to charge the same exact amount per week if I get 270miles vs 293 miles (@90%). I still have to go to a supercharger 3 times a week. Only makes a huge difference if you lose like 30% plus vampire drain.

I dont care about it as long as it doesn't get down to 270 miles at 100%. Also, no issue if you charge at home at night or every other night.

Interestingly, that's what I am noticing too. My MR right now gets about 237 miles at 100% (was 264 miles when I got it a year ago), but based on my trip estimate via NAV and actual driving, I am only about to get about 200 miles real world range. That's much higher energy consumption than numbers reported from any of the menus in the car. And it does affect me a bit since it is not capable of doing some of my longer work trips (e.g. NAV stating it needs 57% of battery at reduced speed for a 108 miles trip). I purposely bought a MR instead of SR+, thinking it'll give me margin for these trips. But now that extra money spent isn't helping☹️

12,232 miles and here's my Stats chart... I do expect it to go up a little bit come springtime. You can see the (small) drop in average was around 9000 miles or so. That was November, when the weather started getting colder.

Still, here in February, 275mi @ 90% state of charge.

View attachment 507097 View attachment 507098
I'm also in Morris County NJ, have 15k and my Stats shows two dips - one at 9k miles from 309 to 302 last August, and another drop at 14k miles to about 290 a few weeks into the cold NJ weather. My charging habits are daily charge to 80% on the back of a 40 mile round trip commute. Car sits in the garage.

I'm going to try upping to 90% and see if that changes anything over the next few weeks.

Interestingly, that's what I am noticing too. My MR right now gets about 237 miles at 100% (was 264 miles when I got it a year ago), but based on my trip estimate via NAV and actual driving, I am only about to get about 200 miles real world range. That's much higher energy consumption than numbers reported from any of the menus in the car. And it does affect me a bit since it is not capable of doing some of my longer work trips (e.g. NAV stating it needs 57% of battery at reduced speed for a 108 miles trip). I purposely bought a MR instead of SR+, thinking it'll give me margin for these trips. But now that extra money spent isn't helping☹️

Welcome to the battery lottery as stated by other members. Saw a video of an exact config SR+ with the same milage getting 239miles at 100%, while I'm only getting 219-224, They're also in much a colder state than myself here in Socal.

Reactions: Matsayz
Welcome to the battery lottery as stated by other members. Saw a video of an exact config SR+ with the same milage getting 239miles at 100%, while I'm only getting 219-224, They're also in much a colder state than myself here in Socal.
I have the SR+ And bought brand new... Ever since after the first week (4months old almost now) it hovers around 206-208 miles at 100%

Tesla SeC wanted to charge me money to check it and blabbered rated range is based on driving style... Only charged between 90-40regular now doing lower SoC’s before charging to test if there is a difference...

“Everything is fine within specs, check website for warranty specifics” they wouldn’t tell me degradation because it’s secret (not kidding) and capacity of pack is not public

I“Everything is fine within specs, check website for warranty specifics” they wouldn’t tell me degradation because it’s secret (not kidding) and capacity of pack is not public

Get yourself a CAN bus adapter, ODB2 connector with Bluetooth, and Scan My Tesla app for Android.
Then you’ll be able to read your battery pack’s capacity as reported by the BMS.

This should tell you if you’re “within specs” or whether your pack has degraded more than 30% (highly doubtful though).
Only then can you make warranty claims as Tesla guarantees 70% remaining capacity within 8 years/100,000 miles.

New poster here, I took delivery of a 2019 SR+ M3 on 9/26/2019. I currently reside in the Seattle area and I am seeing about 224 miles at 100% state of charge. I charge most of the time to 80% or lower. I typically keep the battery in the 25-80% range. I got the scan my Tesla app a few weeks back, and right now Im seeing about 49.1 kwh at nominal full. From what ive read this seems to vary based on temperature (when its near freezing it will read lower, and vice versa). When I first got the app I saw it fluctuate between 49.6-49.8 kwh. I currently have just over 6k miles on the vehicle, so my question is, should I expect to ssee my nominal full come back closer to 50kwh when it warms up in the Spring and Summer months?

Get yourself a CAN bus adapter, ODB2 connector with Bluetooth, and Scan My Tesla app for Android.
Then you’ll be able to read your battery pack’s capacity as reported by the BMS.

This should tell you if you’re “within specs” or whether your pack has degraded more than 30% (highly doubtful though).
Only then can you make warranty claims as Tesla guarantees 70% remaining capacity within 8 years/100,000 miles.
Planning to do that. Any dedicated “all in one pack” (including android device) to reccomend? I am from
The Netherlands (eu)if that helps.

I don’t have any android devices, up for (inexpensive) android device reccomendations

Last edited:
59% to make this 112 miles drive in my MR. I specifically got an MR over SR+ knowing I'll need a bit of margin to do this trip without having to supercharge. I guess that's not the case in reality ☹️

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_123220~2.jpg
    IMG_20200209_123220~2.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 83
What are your charging habits?
I used to plug in every day after getting home from work. My daily commute is 16 miles round-trip. Now I have been plugging in once a week, usually when the SOC is down to about 30% and have it set to charge up to 90%

One thing that I think it also makes a difference is the percentage of energy lost due to vampire drain out of the energy use to actually drive.

My scenario: so my commute is only 16 miles and I normally use about 5 to 6% @ 240 W/m but lose about 1 % in vampire drain.

Since I the vampire drain in comparison to energy used to drive is pretty high, specially when driving conservative as I used to do, might confused the computer in calculating the real range.

In addition to only charging once a week, I also been driving a little more aggressive and been setting the temperature higher to use more energy while driving. I'm now getting 340 w/m and the range has been going up at a pretty fast pace.

Reactions: KenC and TwoK4drSi
Hi, I'm a regular at Tesla's official forum and hardly visit TMC. I had fantastic experience with the Model 3 battery and here's my observation (at 1min mark).

So you have about 5% capacity loss (311 out of 325 rated miles) (the actual % loss may be higher depending on where you started, from an energy standpoint). Not bad for 50k miles. Congrats.

Last edited:
So you have about 5% capacity loss (311 out of 325 rated miles) (the actual % loss may be higher depending on where you started, from an energy standpoint). Not bad for 50k miles. Congrats.
Actually, I never saw the range bump to 325miles - I always had 310miles give or take a couple. I didn't lose any range from the day I bought the car. Very happy with the battery on my car. :)