Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range loss regained - but no idea why.

1. software update in May?
2. charging to 80% rather than 90%?
3. COVID antibodies?
3. anybody's guess?

View attachment 569930 View attachment 569931

Nov 2018 M3D Extended Range 26400 miles
two road-trips 1600 and 1000 miles.
all home charges other than V2 superchargers on the road-trips
Two charges to 100%

Is this rather steady loss and recovery common?
The X axis on the graph is heavily truncated, but even so...

this is the kind of weird **** everyone is talking about here.

I have a 2020 LR Model 3. I bought it in March and it is supposed to be getting 322mi. I never charged it to 100% until today. It is stating only 307mi. I only have just over 3000 miles on it. This is a 5% loss in range if the numbers are correct. I'm a bit concerned. Running 2020.28.6. I usually charge the battery to 80%. I only charged to 100 because there maybe rolling blackouts soon where I live in CA. I have never let it get down below 100 mi range. Do I need to drain it down to 10 mi or so and then charge to 100%?

Thanks, LG

this is the kind of weird **** everyone is talking about here.

I think their case specifically may have been temperature effects. Without looking way back in the thread, they suspected a May update and live in Colorado. My bet is just reduced reported range due to cold, which is absolutely normal.

the cold weather doesn't seem to preserve batteries the way it did with the earlier chemistries.

Was this a thing on S/X? First time I've heard this. Or do you mean other types of batteries entirely?

I have a 2020 LR Model 3. I bought it in March and it is supposed to be getting 322mi. I never charged it to 100% until today. It is stating only 307mi. I only have just over 3000 miles on it. This is a 5% loss in range if the numbers are correct. I'm a bit concerned. Running 2020.28.6. I usually charge the battery to 80%. I only charged to 100 because there maybe rolling blackouts soon where I live in CA. I have never let it get down below 100 mi range. Do I need to drain it down to 10 mi or so and then charge to 100%?

Thanks, LG

I should really make this post elsewhere to reference.

So, you're fine, but explaining why is annoying (because of Tesla, not because of you!). They used to rate them at 310mi and "hide" the first few percent of degradation. That is, it would still report 310mi even after some small amount of degradation. Li-ion batteries like those in the Model 3 degrade quickly at the beginning of their life, but this slows down and the batteries degrade much slower after. Like a break-in period, I guess? By hiding this initial sudden and quicker than normal drop (compared to future life of the battery), they avoid a lot of quesitons of range degradation in early ownership.

They now rate them higher, but have no hidden buffer anymore. The result is that you immediately see any degradation, and a few percent in early life is expected.

So you're down to 307mi. In "old" terms, this means you've lost just under 1%. In "new" (but technically more accurate) terms, you've lost 4.7%. With either way of looking at it, both of these are normal so far. Comparisons to older vehicles will unfortunately make yours look much worse since the old ones hide that initial chunk of degradation, even if they're actually about the same.

You do not need to do any sort of calibration. Your battery is normal (so far) and the reported reduction is most likely correct. Your current charging habits sound great. Keep on doing what you're doing (but best not to store it at 100% for an extended period of time, in case that was your plan).

My Nov 2019 build 2020 model stealth performance with 19 inch wheels with the rated 260 Wh/mi constant gives me anywhere from 258 miles to 265 miles at 90% charge. Seems to be going up and down as it pleases but regardless what it shows, I seem to get about 100 miles per 40%. That doesn't seem to change. I have now over 7K miles and it has been always like this since day one. So for me, using between 90% to 10% charge cycle I would rate my real world range at 200 miles. If I do long distance travel in a single drive, that would go up to around 240-250 miles (If I was to charge it up to 100% and get down to 5% or so). Even though I seem to have around 5% loss according to what the car estimates, I am not seeing this reflected on my actual range so far.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White

Thanks, LG
No. According to what Tesla published it is of zero benefit to drain the battery to a low SOC then charge to 100%.

Reactions: lgxray and drdumont
Anybody got any new theories to explain this battery capacity graph of my 2018 M3LRAWD? One theory is that Tesla reprogrammed the BMS at about 13K miles to clip/cap the max voltage to which the cells were charged, causing that drop from 310 to abt 293-294. It appears to have recovered some of that loss & is now showing about 302-303 at 19.3K miles.

AAE3B423-9AE1-4749-B2F4-DE371E548435.png

For what is worth, I did try to schedule an appointment to have them look at my Mid Range battery. They did a remote diagnostic, confirmed the 14% loss, and then cancelled the appointment since they said it's within spec. Oh well

Did they put that capacity loss in writing? Willing to share an (anonymous ?) service .pdf?

I only hear them dodge my questions and telling me actual capacity is Tesla secret (even though I have ScanMyTesla, of which they don’t know, that confirms our -13.8% loss in the SR+ model 3, which was pretty much INSTANT, 10% was after delivery )

Did they put that capacity loss in writing? Willing to share an (anonymous ?) service .pdf?

I only hear them dodge my questions and telling me actual capacity is Tesla secret (even though I have ScanMyTesla, of which they don’t know, that confirms our -13.8% loss in the SR+ model 3, which was pretty much INSTANT, 10% was after delivery )

It was via text message, and they used range and battery% to confirm the range loss. They didn't tell me the actual capacity in term of kWh. Let me know if you are still interested in a snippet of the message

• Funny
Reactions: mrgoogle and N54TT
Anybody got any new theories to explain this battery capacity graph of my 2018 M3LRAWD? One theory is that Tesla reprogrammed the BMS at about 13K miles to clip/cap the max voltage to which the cells were charged, causing that drop from 310 to abt 293-294. It appears to have recovered some of that loss & is now showing about 302-303 at 19.3K miles.

View attachment 577950

There could be plenty of theories, reprogramming the BMS would be last personally.

Would the dip correspond to any dip in temperatures or winter?