Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have followed the advice provided in this forum in letting the car discharge and let it sleep. So 90% to 20% , with some in between , taking several days before charging again. That barely made a difference in the reported range.

However, last weekend I charged to 100%, and let it stay at 100% for a day. I had never dared to do that as I had read several times it was bad for the battery. So whenever I charged to 100% I would immediately drive off.

scan my Tesla now shows a battery capacity of 70.6kWh from 68kWh.
It’s the first time I see the capacity significantly going up
Intereating...I reported a couple of months ago through the phone app about my battery only getting to 233 at 100% when I was getting 244 in my '18 MR3 and they came back and told me it was fine. They told me to reset the BMS calculations I would need to charge from 20 to 100% five times and then to 90% from then on out. It seemed to work, but haven needed to charge to 100% since then, so I don't know if it has stayed that way....

• Informative
Reactions: jyavenard
I have followed the advice provided in this forum in letting the car discharge and let it sleep. So 90% to 20% , with some in between , taking several days before charging again. That barely made a difference in the reported range.

However, last weekend I charged to 100%, and let it stay at 100% for a day. I had never dared to do that as I had read several times it was bad for the battery. So whenever I charged to 100% I would immediately drive off.

scan my Tesla now shows a battery capacity of 70.6kWh from 68kWh.
It’s the first time I see the capacity significantly going up
That would be some incredible amount of cell imbalance. I wonder what happened, the BMS lost track of the top?

Probably should have asked this sooner.
M3P So I’ve been working from home mostly for the last year. If I do need to go in once or twice a week it’s about a 20 mile drive each way. Been charging to about 80% every night in my garage.
With driving it so little should I let the batteries go lower once in a while or should I not worry about it? I don’t think I’ve ever charged it when it was below about 55% in the nearly a year since I bought it. Any thoughts are always appreciated!

Yesterday I drove my M3 200 miles, but the battery range went from 308 miles at full charge down to 66 miles at destination. This represents a 20% ”loss of miles” compared with the starting range indicated on the battery. (My trip was interstate driving at 75 mph without heating or AC on.) I think this mileage difference is worse than what I’ve casually noted before. My long-range M3 is a June 2018 build, and I’ve only driven it 17000 miles since I picked it up in July 2018. I usually keep the battery charged at around 75%.
Two questions, please:
1. Does this degradation warrant a service call, or is there other action I should take?
2. Will the navigator planner for SC stations be accurate? Or am I at risk of not having enough charge to reach a charging station, even if at the beginning of a trip, the on-screen planner indicates I will?
Thanks for feedback.
C Woernle

Yesterday I drove my M3 200 miles, but the battery range went from 308 miles at full charge down to 66 miles at destination. This represents a 20% ”loss of miles” compared with the starting range indicated on the battery. (My trip was interstate driving at 75 mph without heating or AC on.)
That is to be expected. Those numbers on the display are called "rated miles". They are based on the very granny-style EPA efficiency ratings tests. Driving 75 mph is faster than that, so you will be effectively getting worse efficiency than at the "rated miles" constant.
Two questions, please:
1. Does this degradation [...]
Stop right there. That is not degradation. It's like you were driving extra fast, and your car got worse gas mileage than the window sticker advertises. That is normal and happens with all cars. This has nothing to do with your battery.
2. Will the navigator planner for SC stations be accurate? Or am I at risk of not having enough charge to reach a charging station, even if at the beginning of a trip, the on-screen planner indicates I will?
Initial projection may be a bit off, but is usually pretty accurate. But even more than that, it is not carved in stone. It continually updates in real time as you drive, so that arrival % estimate will continue to auto adjust. So once you get going for 5-10 minutes, it will have gathered info on how your current driving conditions and energy use are, with speed and heater use and whatnot and have updated the projection. So just keep an eye on it every once in a while as you go, and don't totally ignore it, and you won't have to worry about not having enough charge to reach the next station. If you see the % dropping pretty fast, turn your cruise control down a few mph. It will then adjust, and change the estimate, and you'll see with plenty of notice how you're doing.

As long as you pay a bit of attention to the estimate early on and adjust a little if needed, this isn't much of an issue. Where people run into problems is if they drive really fast for the first three fourths of the trip, while completely ignoring all the info the car has, and then check on it late to discover they messed up and are having to figure out what to do with less options.

Yesterday I drove my M3 200 miles, but the battery range went from 308 miles at full charge down to 66 miles at destination. This represents a 20% ”loss of miles” compared with the starting range indicated on the battery. (My trip was interstate driving at 75 mph without heating or AC on.) I think this mileage difference is worse than what I’ve casually noted before. My long-range M3 is a June 2018 build, and I’ve only driven it 17000 miles since I picked it up in July 2018. I usually keep the battery charged at around 75%.
Two questions, please:
1. Does this degradation warrant a service call, or is there other action I should take?
Thanks for feedback.
C Woernle
308 miles at 100% shows no deg for a June 2018 LR. The 308 is EPA-rated miles. You do the EPA test, and you'll go 308 miles. You might get that driving around 65mph, in Spring. At 75mph, you're not going to get EPA-rated mileage. You don't get the EPA-rated miles in your gas vehicle, the faster you go, either.

Two questions, please:
Thanks for feedback.
C Woernle
Your cars battery will degrade with *age* as well as the number of full charging cycles (ie. miles).
Your 308 is not accurate for a 2018 car because it doesn't account for the age even tho you have low miles.
Here is an example of several thousand Model 3s ... the green line is the TeslaFI.COM 'fleet' averge.
LYX4pkq.jpg

Reactions: brulaz and cwoernle
Have also heard that fast charging degrades the battery more than slow, home, L2 charging. But how much more?
Sort of important for those of us in apartments who have to charge on the road.
True. I was mainly responding to their specific post/situation. However, based on all I've read (hot topic for several years), I don't think there is much to worry about with DCFCing at a SuC as Tesla manages the charging carefully (temps, kW, etc). If I were in your shoes I would only charge up to 80% or 85% SOC which is your fastest way to charge anyway.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brulaz
Hi all,

I’ve just received my new Model 3 LR, and I have a question about it’s range at full charge.

When buying it it’s advertised as having 360mi (WLTP), and of course I didn’t expect it at full charge to have that full 360mi, but mine only charges up to 324mi at max charge.

I think what’s bothering me is when I charge the battery to the recommended 80-90% it’s at 290-odd miles, so I’m never seeing that 300+, and considering I paid for that long range I can’t help but find that a bit annoying.

I just wanted to hear peoples opinions, is this completely normal? Is this a bit lower than it should be for a brand new Model 3 LR that I’ve only had for a week?

Hi all,

I’ve just received my new Model 3 LR, and I have a question about it’s range at full charge.

When buying it it’s advertised as having 360mi (WLTP), and of course I didn’t expect it at full charge to have that full 360mi, but mine only charges up to 324mi at max charge.

I think what’s bothering me is when I charge the battery to the recommended 80-90% it’s at 290-odd miles, so I’m never seeing that 300+, and considering I paid for that long range I can’t help but find that a bit annoying.

I just wanted to hear peoples opinions, is this completely normal? Is this a bit lower than it should be for a brand new Model 3 LR that I’ve only had for a week?
I'd ask in the uk subforum where WLTP range is the norm.

Hi all,

The range shown in EU( and outside, like UK :) ) is still the EPA range, or close to that. My M3P shows 507km at full charge but WLTP is 567km. 507km happens to be the EPA range 315miles).
Anyway, WLTP is only a comparison between different vehicles and it isnt close to any real driving at all. Even though WLTP is told to be less optimistic than the old NECD-ranges, WLTP still is more or less a dream. It might be possible to resch the WLTP range during summer with the AC off, and creeping slow speeds( average speed in the WLTP-cycle is 46.5km/h or 29mph). So even if its possible, yoe really wouldnt like to se the WLTP range on the screen. Its an utopia.
The EPA range is also actually only for comparison but less utopic, and you can actually reach that range if you drive slow and economic.
For the fully charged range, its 353 miles EPA range in USA but the battery is limited due to the fact that they use a smaller LG battery for some cars. So the max charge range is most often said to be about 545 or 325miles. Looks like your car shows the same range.
Do you k ow if your car has the Panasonic(E3D) or the LG(E5D) battery ?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and scottf200
The range shown in EU( and outside, like UK :) ) is still the EPA range, or close to that. My M3P shows 507km at full charge but WLTP is 567km. 507km happens to be the EPA range 315miles).
Anyway, WLTP is only a comparison between different vehicles and it isnt close to any real driving at all. Even though WLTP is told to be less optimistic than the old NECD-ranges, WLTP still is more or less a dream. It might be possible to resch the WLTP range during summer with the AC off, and creeping slow speeds( average speed in the WLTP-cycle is 46.5km/h or 29mph). So even if its possible, yoe really wouldnt like to se the WLTP range on the screen. Its an utopia.
The EPA range is also actually only for comparison but less utopic, and you can actually reach that range if you drive slow and economic.
For the fully charged range, its 353 miles EPA range in USA but the battery is limited due to the fact that they use a smaller LG battery for some cars. So the max charge range is most often said to be about 545 or 325miles. Looks like your car shows the same range.
Do you k ow if your car has the Panasonic(E3D) or the LG(E5D) battery ?
No I’m not sure, but I understand what you’re saying. I guess it’s pretty normal then!

Reactions: AAKEE
Your cars battery will degrade with *age* as well as the number of full charging cycles (ie. miles).
Your 308 is not accurate for a 2018 car because it doesn't account for the age even tho you have low miles.
Here is an example of several thousand Model 3s ... the green line is the TeslaFI.COM 'fleet' averge.
LYX4pkq.jpg

that's one thing. But when other people have a 1.5 year old Model 3 with only 20k miles on it with 10% degradation thats a completely different matter.
Model 3 packs seem to degrade 3-5x as fast as Model S packs.

Probably should have asked this sooner.
M3P So I’ve been working from home mostly for the last year. If I do need to go in once or twice a week it’s about a 20 mile drive each way. Been charging to about 80% every night in my garage.
With driving it so little should I let the batteries go lower once in a while or should I not worry about it? I don’t think I’ve ever charged it when it was below about 55% in the nearly a year since I bought it. Any thoughts are always appreciated!
I highly recommend reading the first post in this thread