Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried all of the recalibrate tricks, and nothing lasts. I'm dead last on teslafi with my BMS reporting a paltry 285 miles and 67.5 kWh (from the 77.4 a year ago).

The BMS is wrong though. How do I know? I recently charged from 3% to 100%. It took 66.1 kWh, which extrapolates to 68.7 kWh. This doesn't count the 3.1 kWh buffer. I'm really down to 71.8 kWh, which isn't great, but it's better than what the BMS is reporting.

better than what the BMS is reporting

with my BMS reporting a paltry 285 miles and 67.5 kWh
This is from TeslaFi, which does not read the BMS. If this value is wrong, it is because TeslaFi is making the wrong calculation, there is probably a user setting which needs adjustment (I don’t use TeslaFi so no idea).

For a Model Y (?), 285 miles is about 68.5kWh so TeslaFi is probably correct.

The BMS is wrong though. How do I know? I recently charged from 3% to 100%. It took 66.1 kWh, which extrapolates to 68.7 kWh.

This is a common point of confusion, but TeslaFi data on charging sessions is notoriously unreliable (and configurable - again, I do not use TeslaFi, so read the documentation for details). In any case there is no way for them to directly measure the energy added so this 66.1kWh datapoint is just wrong.

If you have a Model Y, with 326 miles when new at 77.8kWh, you now have about 68kWh with 285 miles.

Not including the buffer you have 65kWh. It all makes sense. You’ll see this reality reflected in the trip meter as well.

After carefully configuring TeslaFi, you will be able to make it report that data consistently correctly. You can configure it to report wall energy for a given charging configuration, or energy added to the battery, as I recall. You just pick the right user adjustable scalar.

Reactions: Candleflame
I've tried all of the recalibrate tricks, and nothing lasts. I'm dead last on teslafi with my BMS reporting a paltry 285 miles and 67.5 kWh (from the 77.4 a year ago).

The BMS is wrong though. How do I know? I recently charged from 3% to 100%. It took 66.1 kWh, which extrapolates to 68.7 kWh. This doesn't count the 3.1 kWh buffer. I'm really down to 71.8 kWh, which isn't great, but it's better than what the BMS is reporting.

teslafi cant properly record charging and consumption kwh due to the limitation of the way it records. it doesnt mean much. 285 miles sounds normal.

teslafi cant properly record charging and consumption kwh due to the limitation of the way it records. it doesnt mean much. 285 miles sounds normal.
I get the same information from scanmytesla and teslafi regarding range. The battery capacity comes from scanmytesla reading it from the CANBUS. The charge energy is from teslafi and is the "added" figure, not the "used" figure.

I get the same information from scanmytesla and teslafi regarding range. The battery capacity comes from scanmytesla reading it from the CANBUS. The charge energy is from teslafi and is the "added" figure, not the "used" figure.
Right, trust the data from SMT. The charge energy from TeslaFi is not correct as you have stated it (3-100% is 63kWh for your vehicle, and that is what TeslaFi will tell you - when correctly configured (again, as I understand it - I don’t use it but I know there are scalars you can adjust for some of the quantities reported).

That same charge in SMT (assuming it says your battery is 68.5kWh), would have shown a charge delta of 63kWh (nominal remaining final - nominal remaining initial).

We took delivery of a M3LR a few days ago. I checked the Tesla Stats app on iPhone and the battery shows 90% charged with a Rated Range of 318 miles, but the Estimated Range only shows 244 miles with a driving efficiency of 77%. That that does not sound right.

To anyone with a 2021 LR AWD, how many miles are shown at a 90% charge and a 100% charge?

Curious to know for when I may upgrade, just to have an idea on the guesstimated range. My SR+ shows 196 miles at 90% for example (I want more lol)

Thanks!

To anyone with a 2021 LR AWD, how many miles are shown at a 90% charge and a 100% charge?

Curious to know for when I may upgrade, just to have an idea on the guesstimated range. My SR+ shows 196 miles at 90% for example (I want more lol)

Thanks!
It’s 353-mile range so until Tesla changes that display at 100% (which they can do anytime, since it is basically arbitrary and is by convention chosen to match the EPA rated range) it is 318 and 353.

The new vehicles may have more capacity than prior years now, which is a new key change which may result in more actual range (not currently displayed), but other than the heat pump and that key pack difference, they’re basically exactly the same efficiency and range as in 2018 (maxed out at 310 miles, which (confusingly!) is about the same as 353 miles under optimal conditions, since that 310 miles has been upgraded several times with no change in displayed range). And the scalar, etc, etc.

M3LR a few days ago. I checked the Tesla Stats app on iPhone and the battery shows 90% charged with a Rated Range of 318 miles, but the Estimated Range only shows 244 miles with a driving efficiency of 77%. That that does not sound right.
How does this not make sense?

77.8kWh/353mi is 220Wh/mi. 220Wh/mi/0.77 = 286Wh/mi.

0.9*77.8kWh/286Wh/mi = 245 mi

(Obviously you can substitute any number for 77.8kWh in the above and get the same answer, but I am using the correct number to avoid confusion.) And of course the resultant range must only match to two significant figures. It nearly matched to three, coincidentally.

Makes sense to me!

No idea what Stats is actually doing internally, but all correct methods lead to the same answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr X and hcdavis3
I know I know, this has been the longest debate of them all. However, after many days of finding and reviewing as much research and articles, it has come down to what’s best for daily charging.

In y’all’s experiences, do you charge to 80% or 90%? Any additional advice?

Using the standard Level 1 110v outlet until my NEMA 14-50 Level 2 240v is installed next week.

The Tesla owner's manual and several experts might just disagree with this reporters take on every night charging.
"The question of whether to charge your electric car every night gets asked by some EV drivers who worry persistently about depleting the battery without a charging station nearby.
The short answer to the question is no. In general, you should not charge your electric car every night. It isn’t necessary in most cases. The practice of charging an electric vehicle every night can shorten the lifespan of the car’s battery pack."

Here's 3+ years from my 2018 LR with 57K miles on it. I'm sitting around 304 miles today. The blue is the max range (left axis), the green is the SOC (right axis). You can see I changed my charging habits in March 2020 around 48k miles due to Covid significantly reducing my commute. Looks like I went from charging to 80% to 60%. I've since been adjusting that slightly higher towards 70%. None of this seems to help the range BTW! Last time I saw "full" range of approx 325 miles was ~ Nov 2020 @ ~52.5K miles, it's been downhill since then. This is counter-intuitive because things have only warmed up since then, so I would have expected less reduction. Oh well, fun data...enjoy!

1625769150114.png

I'm puzzled by the behaviour of my car. We drove to the mountain for a week for ski holidays.
I don't have access to the car until tomorrow so can only check via TeslaFi.
We arrived with 47% and a range of 212km left. The next day when I checked the SoC was 52% with 232.47 range left. It had gained 3kWh
Since TeslaFi has been showing at the top something like "52 (46) / 90%"

Whats that 46% referring to?

The Tesla owner's manual and several experts might just disagree with this reporters take on every night charging.
"The question of whether to charge your electric car every night gets asked by some EV drivers who worry persistently about depleting the battery without a charging station nearby.
The short answer to the question is no. In general, you should not charge your electric car every night. It isn’t necessary in most cases. The practice of charging an electric vehicle every night can shorten the lifespan of the car’s battery pack."

thats complete nonsense as we know that all batteries benefit from being cycled more shallow. The only exception here is if the car lets you charge to 100% so if you charge it everyday it ends up sitting at 100% most of the time.

This is from TeslaFi, which does not read the BMS. If this value is wrong, it is because TeslaFi is making the wrong calculation, there is probably a user setting which needs adjustment (I don’t use TeslaFi so no idea).
After carefully configuring TeslaFi, you will be able to make it report that data consistently correctly. You can configure it to report wall energy for a given charging configuration, or energy added to the battery, as I recall. You just pick the right user adjustable scalar.

Right, trust the data from SMT. The charge energy from TeslaFi is not correct as you have stated it (3-100% is 63kWh for your vehicle, and that is what TeslaFi will tell you - when correctly configured (again, as I understand it - I don’t use it but I know there are scalars you can adjust for some of the quantities reported).

That same charge in SMT (assuming it says your battery is 68.5kWh), would have shown a charge delta of 63kWh (nominal remaining final - nominal remaining initial).

Location in TeslaFI

kgywVV9.jpg

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
thats complete nonsense as we know that all batteries benefit from being cycled more shallow. The only exception here is if the car lets you charge to 100% so if you charge it everyday it ends up sitting at 100% most of the time.
It's much more nuanced than "shallow cycles" are best - besides cycle-life-depth-of-discharge aging, you also have calendar life aging. Most battery cycle life tests are run continuously (charge-discharge with little to no rest in between), but in real life, cars sit idle for the vast majority of the time.

A typical car might spend 5% of it's time actually driving. 95% of the time, it's parked. My car also spends about 5% of their time charging (average speed driven is close to charging speed).

Due to this, capacity loss due to calendar aging appears to cause the majority of capacity loss except in high mileage cars. To reduce this, you need to do two things: keep the battery cool and keep the batter at lower states of charge.

Aside from parking in the coolest spot you can find, the only other thing you can do is keep the battery's state of charge as low as possible. Note that some claim that very low SOC is also bad, but there are some conflicting studies out there - others say that < 10% is best for calendar life - it might depend on chemistry.

Ideally, you would only charge only as much as needed to get to your next charge. You would also time it so that you finish charging just before you need to drive. This would combine shallow cycles with low average SOC - the best of both worlds.

In real life, though, people are lazy. For example, I compromise on this and typically charge to anywhere between 50-70% for most of my daily driving, then charge up again between 20-40%. For infrequent road trips I'll charge to 90-100% as needed. With this my average SOC is 40-45% - mainly because the car still ends up sitting a lot at 50%+ SOC.

Reactions: Zoomit
Due to this, capacity loss due to calendar aging appears to cause the majority of capacity loss except in high mileage cars. To reduce this, you need to do two things: keep the battery cool and keep the batter at lower states of charge.

Aside from parking in the coolest spot you can find, the only other thing you can do is keep the battery's state of charge as low as possible. Note that some claim that very low SOC is also bad, but there are some conflicting studies out there - others say that < 10% is best for calendar life - it might depend on chemistry.
Indeed, Tesla states the following in their EPA applications (page 17):

“To maintain service life, the battery pack should be stored at a state of charge (SOC) of 15% to 50%.”