Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took My 2020 long range to a road trip for 300km, 100% soc to 22% at the end. Mostly at 120km/hr (yup I’m Canadians eh??)
So that implies 300/.78 = 384 for the whole 100%.

10oC weather my heater set to 19oC and my guy lol range is 384 km That’s 230miles. I put the aero hub cap in and tires are at 45 psi.
Is that expected?

Got similar number in this page. It’s quite a bit lower than the 518 (brand new range). Just find it odd that it’s that much lower than rated.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my model 3.

I took My 2020 long range to a road trip for 300km, 100% soc to 22% at the end. Mostly at 120km/hr (yup I’m Canadians eh??)
So that implies 300/.78 = 384 for the whole 100%.

10oC weather my heater set to 19oC and my guy lol range is 384 km That’s 230miles. I put the aero hub cap in and tires are at 45 psi.
Is that expected?

Got similar number in this page. It’s quite a bit lower than the 518 (brand new range). Just find it odd that it’s that much lower than rated.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my model 3.
It’s normal. All the info is available here for you to calculate and have it all make perfect sense.

You got roughly 175Wh/km or 280Wh/mi which seems great for those conditions and speeds (I assumed 10% capacity loss). You used 78% of 95.5% of 90% of your original 78kWh capacity to go 300km.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It’s normal. All the info is available here for you to calculate and have it all make perfect sense.

You got roughly 175Wh/km or 280Wh/mi which seems great for those conditions and speeds (I assumed 10% capacity loss). You used 78% of 95.5% of 90% of your original 78kWh capacity to go 300km.
Ummm I have 22000km on my car. 10% degradation seems high doesn’t it? I thought data from this site shows 3-4 % in the first year and it or els off afterwards?

Ummm I have 22000km on my car. 10% degradation seems high doesn’t it? I thought data from this site shows 3-4 % in the first year and it or els off afterwards?
It is what it is - as you know, the exact estimate of the capacity loss is available in the vehicle. The 10% is just a guess based on the age of the vehicle. Could be much less. Just whatever the 100% km are is what tells you.

3-4% in the first year is possible but not sure how common it is.

Anyway, if you have 5%, then you got 184Wh/km.

Last edited:
460 km at 100%. Which seems quite a bit of degradation. I guess no one else gets degradation like that?

So 11%. Perfectly normal for your 2020 vehicle (that's why I assumed 10%!!!). Many people see that capacity loss.

People who keep their cars at 60% or lower most of the time and live in cool climates may do better, but there's an element of luck to it too, perhaps.

In any case, regardless of whether it can be controlled, it's perfectly normal.

I thought data from this site shows 3-4 % in the first year and it or els off afterwards?

There is no data on this site that I am aware of that says MODEL 3s get "3-4% degradation, then level off after that". Neither is there any data like that in this 177 page thread, which you could review if you desired. 10% is pretty average for a model 3, then leveled off after that, in general terms. feel free to read through this thread, though.

Actually I’ve been following this page as well as the calibration page for a year. 3-4% was my impression tho. Guess I got the wrong impression.

Since warranty gets triggered at 30% degradation for 8 years. Even if the degradation is going to level off, I wonder how many people actually get warranty covered battery replacement.

Even if the degradation is going to level off, I wonder how many people actually get warranty covered battery replacement.

It's quite rare to see vehicles with more than 15% capacity loss, even if they are approaching 4 years old. And it's quite common for these same vehicles to have reached about 8-10% loss in their first year. It's not flat but it slows way down it seems.

I have only heard of battery replacements for malfunctions & damage.

I am not sure if this was already discussed but I just want to get your guys opinion on this. I just picked my 2022 M3 Long Range exactly 7 days ago. As per Tesla website the estimated range is 358 miles on a full charge. I know these numbers are relative and reality I should expect at least 30% less than that but I feel like my range is way lower than that.

I did some range tests recently and here are my results:
First of all I live in Pittsburgh PA which can be hilly in some areas and the temperature during my test was between 30- 45 degrees Fahrenheit
I charged the car to 90% and I was planning to see how many real miles not expected I will get between 90% and 20%.

So far with 40% battery left I drove 113.5 miles, with 30 kWh used and 266 Wh/mi which in my opinion is low. I feel like these numbers should be close to the SR + model.

I guess my questions are:
Are these numbers ok ?
Is the battery calibrating or something during the first months?

rated kms are a unit of energy not a unit of range..... get used to it. they roughly correspond to range if you drive around 90 km/h.
266 wh/mi is quite low thats why you get such a high real world range.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I put very little mileage on my vehicles (sold a 4.5 year old Kia with 26K miles (43K kms). That's an average of 16miles/26km per day + I live in a relatively cold climate (Ottawa) - where in the winter it goes down to -20/-30C. Summer it can get warm (May-August) in the 30C (80-90F).

Wondering if maybe a regular 80% SoC is even worth it since I barely drive the car (I can go 4-5 days without driving it). I have a HWPC being installed Friday so I can get it up pretty quickly if needed.. Makes me wonder if I should set a max charge to 50-60% and go up to 80-90 when I know i'll be taking a trip/going to the inlaws, etc.

I do plan to keep the car for 6-8 years and would like to get some kind of trade in value for a $90K CAD car (M3P)

Reactions: Lephturn
I put very little mileage on my vehicles (sold a 4.5 year old Kia with 26K miles (43K kms). That's an average of 16miles/26km per day + I live in a relatively cold climate (Ottawa) - where in the winter it goes down to -20/-30C. Summer it can get warm (May-August) in the 30C (80-90F).

Wondering if maybe a regular 80% SoC is even worth it since I barely drive the car (I can go 4-5 days without driving it). I have a HWPC being installed Friday so I can get it up pretty quickly if needed.. Makes me wonder if I should set a max charge to 50-60% and go up to 80-90 when I know i'll be taking a trip/going to the inlaws, etc.

I do plan to keep the car for 6-8 years and would like to get some kind of trade in value for a $90K CAD car (M3P)

yes it is worth it especially if you drive very little. in fact id recommend going perhaps to just 60% if you seldom drive.
or even better 30-40% and just charge it before you actually need it. 40% is enough for city driving.

There is no data on this site that I am aware of that says MODEL 3s get "3-4% degradation, then level off after that". Neither is there any data like that in this 177 page thread, which you could review if you desired. 10% is pretty average for a model 3, then leveled off after that, in general terms. feel free to read through this thread, though.
I feel like folks were conflating what Model S folk were seeing for Model 3's.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Hey there - Ottawa here as well! After reading this thread I have learned that time spent at higher SoC is what matters, after calendar aging. Various graphs and what not posted here show a step at about 57% SoC. I work from home and don't drive a great deal, so I am now aiming at 55% SoC when parked for more than an hour or two. I will charge over that only if I will need to do a longer trip. Even in the cold and with winter tires that gives me plenty to reach a Supercharger if I need to go much farther unexpectedly. If I am not driving it much I will only charge every few days and go as low as 20% and then charge up to 55% or higher if I charge and then drive - setting it up so that I am 55% or less when it sits overnight. Lower is better.

Data on earlier pages indicates that the best charging rate is 2C for these batteries, so roughly 2x the kW rating of the battery. That requires a DC charger like a Supercharger so I won't worry about that too much, but when I have the opportunity and the time I will limit the charge rate at the supercharger to 2C. If I'm on a trip I'll supercharge as normal, but if I'm shopping at Rideau or downtown doing something I'll supercharge at 2C up to 65 or 70% - so that when I get where I'm going it will be 55% or less most of the time.

Reactions: Stokkes
Hello, I'm new.

As the title states, I've noticed approximately 11% degradation after 4400 miles in a little longer than a year and a half (I barely drive my tesla because of covid).
See attached screenshot. At 90% only able to drive 254 miles?

Is that normal? or should I schedule a service appointment? The warranty should still cover any repairs, right?

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.PNG
    IMG_1170.PNG
    340.7 KB · Views: 75