Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another potentially surprised model 3 owner here.
I have my m3 performance for about 9 months, driven around 15kkm.
I used obd reader with scan my Tesla app, and I see 75.5kwh available out of the original 82.1kwh.
Meaning that I’m at around 92% SoH.

Is that anticipated?
Chargers are almost always at home using the mobile charger that came with the car, usually discharge to around 40~50% and almost never had below 10-20%. Charges almost always to around 80%, only sometimes before long drives to 95-100%. Supercharged couple of times, during trips. But not too much.
In contrast my other electric car which I own for about the same time, driven 10kkm is at 95%.
Attached the scan results.

I guess I wonder how rare or expected such a value is, given the background and use?

Attachments

• 5F4A7512-B837-47DD-8361-83A0ACBCEAF3.png
    5F4A7512-B837-47DD-8361-83A0ACBCEAF3.png
    455.6 KB · Views: 1,967
Another potentially surprised model 3 owner here.
I have my m3 performance for about 9 months, driven around 15kkm.
I used obd reader with scan my Tesla app, and I see 75.5kwh available out of the original 82.1kwh.
Meaning that I’m at around 92% SoH.

Is that anticipated?
Chargers are almost always at home using the mobile charger that came with the car, usually discharge to around 40~50% and almost never had below 10-20%. Charges almost always to around 80%, only sometimes before long drives to 95-100%. Supercharged couple of times, during trips. But not too much.
In contrast my other electric car which I own for about the same time, driven 10kkm is at 95%.
Attached the scan results.

I guess I wonder how rare or expected such a value is, given the background and use?
Normal.

I've seen a number of reports that show range loss is greatest during the first year (maybe 5%) and then slows thereafter. I would not put too much stock in the mileage estimate and display percent SOC. I've also read that it is helpful to do occasional 100% charges to equilibrate the batteries. Most of the time, following the 20-80% is a good practice. Drive more, worry less!

I almost always charge to 80% and was not happy when yesterday I saw that meant 218mi. Today it was 212mi.

About 6mos ago, when the M3 was only 1.5yrs old, 10Kmi driven, I was seeing maybe 240mi, (with an 80% charge) about 5%. But since then, the decline has been steady, weekly, and rapid. Basically I've lost an additional 10% in the past 6mos, and it keeps dropping.

Try not to worry, but... I'm worried.

80% SOC is about the worst charging level you can select if you like to keep the capacity(but if you are trying to degrade it quickly, youre fine ;) )
High SOC for long time is the no 1 source for degradation.

Batteries degrade from calendar aging which is driven by SOC x Time x temperature. Batteries also degrade from cyclic aging but for most drivers that do not drive very much with hugh cycles the calendar aging is the absolute bigger part.

With 80%, and a charging scedule that let the battery sit with 80% for the most of the time 5 to 8% calendar aging is expected for the first year, depending on the temperature. In hot climates, maybe even more.

If cycling a li-ion with NCA-chemistry as most Teslas with very big cycles 100 to 0%) they might loose about 20% capacity for 750 to 1000 cycles. This means that we will loose about 1% capacyity for each 10.000km. As most people do not always drive 100 to 0% they will loose less than this.

Low SOC causes least calendar aging(contrary to many forum ”truth’s”). The less SOC the less the calendar aging is.

Small cycles eat much less of ther battery and small cycles placed low on the SOC-range eat even less. 6000 10% cycles around 70% SOC did degrade 10% of a NCA-battery capacity but similar 6000 10% cycles around 30% SOC only degraded the battery 2%.

So, if we like to keep the degradation low we should use low SOC. Period.

The SOC during rest/car sleep should be low.
The charging level should be as low as possible, and the charging should be done ”late” so the car doesnt get many hours with high SOC.

I live by the rules above and my M3P havent really lost any range since new. 14 months since new and closing up on 34.000km.
I still have a battery capacity of 80.5kWh(NFP) and thats about the new-capacity.

I did attach two calendar aging graphs, and my teslafi degrsadation report of today.
1610FE46-B71B-44E3-9F2F-9E2A85C1F76F.jpeg

There are some really easy tricks(the one above) that will help most people to mimimize the degradation. If you dont have your own charger and do not have the possibility to charge often(=daily) it might be hard, but otherwise its easy.

Attachments

• BF354AE3-B161-4377-8B49-179D82B4375F.jpeg
    BF354AE3-B161-4377-8B49-179D82B4375F.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 77
  • D2C7252F-FFA6-468F-82CA-40FC3DA139AA.jpeg
    D2C7252F-FFA6-468F-82CA-40FC3DA139AA.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 71
80% SOC is about the worst charging level you can select if you like to keep the capacity(but if you are trying to degrade it quickly, youre fine ;) )

Batteries degrade from calendar aging which is driven by SOC x Time x temperature. Batteries also degrade from cyclic aging but for most drivers that do not drive very much with hugh cycles the calendar aging is the absolute bigger part.

With 80%, and a charging scedule that let the battery sit with 80% for the most of the time 5 to 8% calendar aging is expected for the first year, depending on the temperature. In hot climates, maybe even more.

If cycling a li-ion with NCA-chemistry as most Teslas with very big cycles 100 to 0%) they might loose about 20% capacity for 750 to 1000 cycles. This means that we will loose about 1% capacyity for each 10.000km. As most people do not always drive 100 to 0% they will loose less than this.

Low SOC causes least calendar aging(contrary to many forum ”truth’s”). The less SOC the less the calendar aging is.

Small cycles eat much less of ther battery and small cycles placed low on the SOC-range eat even less. 6000 10% cycles around 70% SOC did degrade 10% of a NCA-battery capacity but similar 6000 10% cycles around 30% SOC only degraded the battery 2%.

So, if we like to keep the degradation low we should use low SOC. Period.

The SOC during rest/car sleep should be low.
The charging level should be as low as possible, and the charging should be done ”late” so the car doesnt get many hours with high SOC.

I live by the rules above and my M3P havent really lost any range since new. 14 months since new and closing up on 34.000km.
I still have a battery capacity of 80.5kWh(NFP) and thats about the new-capacity.

I did attach two calendar aging graphs, and my teslafi degrsadation report of today.
View attachment 771766

There are some really easy tricks(the one above) that will help most people to mimimize the degradation. If you dont have your own charger and do not have the possibility to charge often(=daily) it might be hard, but otherwise its easy.
Can I make some observations ?
In your graph above...there doesn’t seem to be much degradation past 60%...the lines flatten

On your other graph...Capacity Retention versus Cycles...ambient temperature is the biggest factor in reducing the total recharging cycles in a battery’s life. However, range is vastly reduced in cold climates therefore more charging cycles are needed...but in a warm climate the car keeps its stated range...therefore it needs less charging cycles.
Perhaps what is needed is mileage versus degradation

Can I make some observations ?
In your graph above...there doesn’t seem to be much degradation past 60%...the lines flatten

On your other graph...Capacity Retention versus Cycles...ambient temperature is the biggest factor in reducing the total recharging cycles in a battery’s life. However, range is vastly reduced in cold climates therefore more charging cycles are needed...but in a warm climate the car keeps its stated range...therefore it needs less charging cycles.
Perhaps what is needed is mileage versus degradation
I seem to have attached the wrong picture.
I tried to post two different about calendar aging.

8EE38D2F-38B2-4048-8B57-7D58703F2C4A.jpeg

Theres a steep step around 55 to 60% SOC, where the calendar aging is much higher with higher SOC.

Teslas will heat the battery when the car is used so the low temp is not an issue really.
The lowest degradation during cycles is at higher temperatures(about 25C battery temp) but as cyclic aging is not that big part anyway this do not affect the life noticable.
As cyclic aging is some 1/4 to 1/10 or so compared to calendar aging its a minor part.

Reactions: Bouba

While what you say sounds plausible and your graphs certainly are pretty they clearly do not encompass all of reality. It's true there have been lots of cars reporting heavy degradation and all of the things you mention likely play some factor but it's also true there are also a number of people with cars that don't fit your theory. As I've stated before my own first Model 3 was charged to 90% every night and I had no apparent degradation the first 1.5 years or so and only about 8% after 4 years 30k miles. It also gets warm here in California and every summer I would have had a large number of trips with road temps in the 40C-45C range. If I recall correctly I believe @KenC 's experience also does not fit your theory that high degradation is 100% certain with the Model 3.

Since there are clear examples that show degradation is not as simple as you believe I don't think it's helpful to tell people so emphatically and with such certainty that charging to 80% is "the worst." The real-world data we have simply does not support that argument in many cases. Lots of people charge to 80% and are just fine. There are some people that have charged to even higher levels yet still have had reasonable degradation so to me that means we haven't found a good way to model expected range loss yet nor have we accounted for all the factors that contribute.

[EDIT] this morning dropped to 74.5 kWh.
View attachment 771162
And yesterday dropped to 73,90 kWh today 73,8
so my graph changed in this way.
Since September I charge only to 55-60% and when charged more (SuC in long travels) the car sleeps always under 50% SoC.
And we are in winter so the temp can't be the cupltrit, nor the SoC level.
But the graph speaks for itself.
1645432236712.png

How all this works is confusing to say the least. For example there are people claiming that they are not showing degradation but are assuming that it must be coming out of the buffer... and in my case I used a supercharger the other day and my range increased by 2 miles...so it now has more than when it was new five months ago...of course I don’t believe any of it because you can lose a mile or two just coming out of the drive...

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I had a big drop like that, slightly below 74Kwh but it bounced back in the following 2 weeks. I guess the BMS was drunk that day and it had a long hangover.
You are definitely "enjoying" a battery pack with the same robustness as mine (but you are keeping more detailed logs). I'm curious how our cars will evolve in the next couple of years.
I'm more concerned that after my leasing will expire (2Y4M left) the next owner will show up on these forums, writing his/hers findings with high levels of frustration :( .

I agree BUT ... 80% is not a "high SOC" no matter how you look at it. I would say it is on the upper part of an average SOC, for daily use. Over 90%, that's what I would consider as being high SOC.
60% is not applicable for everyone. I, for example, live in an apartment building with no charger in the garage (regulations). I'm bound to use public chargers so charging every day is not an option. I'm plugging in every 3 days in average (when my SOC is hovering between 30 anmd 40%), and I charge up to 80%.

Since September I charge only to 55-60% and when charged more (SuC in long travels) the car sleeps always under 50% SoC.
And we are in winter so the temp can't be the cupltrit, nor the SoC level.
But the graph speaks for itself.
View attachment 771954

I understand how you feel about this. If you look on my graph (6/20 MY AWD) back around 17k miles, I was dead last on Teslafi, and have been in the bottom 5% most of the time.

It's easy to ride the BMS range / emotion Rollercoaster. I've had many range plunges that could cause concern. Here are a few:

7282 miles: 300
7400 miles: 282

10000 miles: 297
10300 miles: 287

14000 miles: 292
14500 miles: 282

I mentioned earlier in this thread that somehow, my reported battery capacity has climbed back to around average last fall. It has stayed around agerage through the winter so far. This reinforced my belief that the calculations aren't very accurate, and that focusing on them just takes away from enjoying the car.
Screenshot_20220221-055206_Chrome.jpg

This reinforced my belief that the calculations aren't very accurate, and that focusing on them just takes away from enjoying the car.
All of us know that but .... you know that feeling when you buy a new 65" TV and you mount it on the wall in your livingroom, then later on comes the little one with a big plastic toy and start smashing it on your brand new TV? You know that the TV will most likely resist that type of impact, but still, it is definitely defocusing, disturbing and is taking away from enjoying watching the show :) .... I'd rather not have a kid banging at the TV in the first place ...

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
FWIW, I'm not sure if they changed something with a recent software update, but I'm seeing my BMS report much less degradation recently. I have a 2018 M3 LR and was seeing 13-16% degradation in my cars reported max range. I've tried the various suggestions to try and help recalibration the BMS with no avail until recently. I used to charge to 75% during the summer, 80% in the winter (charge starts at 5AM before work) and would have sentry off at work. Now I've been charging to 70% in cold weather and reported range is only down 6-8%. I changed on a whim because I was watching a Rivian review on YouTube and saw their daily charge was 70%, and their next higher option had a note next to it indicating "Some battery wear.".

Yes, normal to loose 6 or 7 kWh for some batteries in 6 -10 months and normal too it's loosing 0 kWh in 12-15 months for the same battery type.
The fact is that being in the 6 or 7 kWh lost club, is not the same that being in the 0 kWh lost club , especially if the charge habits are almost the same.
...here my theory of bad batches and first choice batches.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
While what you say sounds plausible and your graphs certainly are pretty they clearly do not encompass all of reality. It's true there have been lots of cars reporting heavy degradation and all of the things you mention likely play some factor but it's also true there are also a number of people with cars that don't fit your theory. As I've stated before my own first Model 3 was charged to 90% every night and I had no apparent degradation the first 1.5 years or so and only about 8% after 4 years 30k miles. It also gets warm here in California and every summer I would have had a large number of trips with road temps in the 40C-45C range. If I recall correctly I believe @KenC 's experience also does not fit your theory that high degradation is 100% certain with the Model 3.

Since there are clear examples that show degradation is not as simple as you believe I don't think it's helpful to tell people so emphatically and with such certainty that charging to 80% is "the worst." The real-world data we have simply does not support that argument in many cases. Lots of people charge to 80% and are just fine. There are some people that have charged to even higher levels yet still have had reasonable degradation so to me that means we haven't found a good way to model expected range loss yet nor have we accounted for all the factors that contribute.

All research data tell us the same thing: Lithium batteries behave very predictable. Even if the cell capacity might differ slightly between batches, the behaviour is very predictable. You can review 10 or 15 sets of research reports of NCA battery tests, and you will see that the behaviour and degradation from time and cycles is more or less carbon copies. I actually have done that(read a lot of research), I started getting slightly interrested in the lithium battery world about 2006-2007.

For all research there is not really any exemptions that doesnt fit the very tight degradation curves. Within each research the variation between cells is extremely small and between research the variation is very small. The only thing that really differs is the conclusions. Some time you can see that the test data is following the same red line that all other research does, but the author did draw a conclusion that was wrong due to the fact that the test setup created holes in the findings. But if you take the data atn put it on top of another research report, you’ll see that the data is more or less carbon copies.

There is sometimes small deviations that is not important to us and that can be traced to different test setups. Despite this, we can see that the deviations is small.

This picture is from a research report of a 2170/21700 NCA cell of the type ”Manufacturer and cell model cannot be disclosed”.
One can suspect that it is a Panasonic NCA cell, as there isnt very many producers of NCA-chemistry. 256Wh/kg on the cell level.

This research report have a worse spoon form than most other NCA-tests, but in this case it actually is the 2170 cell, that we can guess is a Panasonic ncr21700. The reason for the spoon form is discussed in the report. Most other reports shows signs of the spoon form and that the worst SOC for calendar aging is around 75-80% but in most cases not this much. This report might show us how the 2170 behave including the worst point at 80%. It might look worse than real life, in that case depending on the test setup but as we can see or scent the same behaviour in more or less any other research report there probably is something to it.
( Link to the research report )
AA678302-55DC-496D-A96E-8DED474DC818.jpeg

There is a common idea that Teslas advise ”above 90% only for trips” is due to the calendar aging killing the battery.
From all research reports we know that that is not really the case. There just isnt that much more calendar aging at SOC above 90%.
But we know from research that if you limit you most charging to 90%, the battery will hold up for the double amount of cycles. My (qualified) guess is that this fact is a important part of Teslas advice. Still, I wouldnt leave the car with 100% SOC. On the other hand, I wouldnt leave it with 80% either.

This research report test >250 NCA cells, of two different batches. https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/1355829/file.pdf#page35
A long read(186 pages), but really good. The very small differences in capacity within a batch, capacity loss independent of batch is clearly discussed. There is a lot of data, among them data that show that the calendar aging is about the same for 60 to 100% SOC, and there also is data like this: We only have three points but we clearly can see that 75% is worse than 45 and 100%, or at lest close to the 100% SOC.
AFB502B0-2259-4D63-A51D-9D8D7FA60DE7.jpeg

This report also show the spoon form:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...on-EV-Batteries.pdf?origin=publication_detail

It would be easy to show at least another 15 research reports that tell us the same, and if we go beyond NCA theres about 50 reports more, telling the same thing.

I think that it is not probable at all that all research show one thing, but when the same cells or closely related cells is put in a EV they start to behave different. So, the panasonic NCA cells in Tesla model 3 will follow this quite closely. If it was only one cell, we problablyt could see strange behavoiurs because of some minor defect in a few cases(despite researcxh finding the cells being very close). But for a complete pack, there shouldnt/couldnt be ”bad luck” for all 4416 cells. You could get a slightly less capacity to begin with, but the calendar and cyclic aging most probalbe follow the normal behaviour.
There might be differences in initial capacity due to different batches and maybe that one car has been standing with high SOC before delivery(I have seen show room cars with 97% that we can guess have been at 97% for extended time.)

Despite this the aging should be behaving the same, but the use differs. For me, the main suspect for unexpected differences is the BMS.
I still have a NFP of 80.5kWh, after 34K km and 14 months. Most M3P ’21 start around there. In real life my battery should have degraded by about 3% by now. It doesnt matter how I charge or ”calibrate” now, the NFP stays about 80.5kWh but this is most certain a BMS overestimate.

Theres a lot of Model 3 owners that are worried about the degradation and I think that it is a good idea to tell someone that charge daily to 80% and is worried about high degradation that 80% is about the worst SOC for calendar aging. Many of us can use a lower daily SOC, and many can use the ”charge just in time concep”.
The good thing is that for someone living in a colder climate, even 80% wont cause that much degradation as the temperature have a very high effect on the calendar aging, specially higher ambient temps. Still, even if 80% doesnt cause much degradation due to low ambient temps, it most probalby causes the highest calendar aging, end reducing the SOC will lessen the calendar aging.

I have 10pieces of Panasonic 2170 arriving soon for some long time tests etc, and I plan to do another order in a while, just to make sure they are from different batches. Time will tell.

According to the Stats App my 310 mile rated Dec 2018 LR Model 3 only has 285 miles of range. Not sure how I feel about that considering the car just barely is approaching 20K miles. But granted, it's mostly highway miles and I know it's not as efficient at highway speeds. Charging I try not to let it go down past 20% and keep it at 80%. For a trip I used to charge to 100% and go when it's done charging but now I only charge to 90% for trips. I don't think I should be concerned but psychologically, it still sucks to loose range.

Reactions: CarlThompson
For a trip I used to charge to 100% and go when it's done charging but now I only charge to 90% for trips.

Why not 100%? There's not really any significant downside, unless you're ONLY taking trips. Just leave it at 50% SOC or so the rest of the time - it seems like all the evidence suggests it will be fine (and perhaps close to optimal). After reading post after post from @AAKEE, I'm kind of regretting not doing that with my car (due to free charging at work I frequently charged to 90% in the first couple years of ownership, and it spent a good deal of time between 80 and 85% SOC, and I also like the additional kick of performance at high SOC). That being said, I'm still not completely convinced that results are entirely determined by storage SOC. However, I can say that for me, there's no downside to leaving it at 50-60% (other than loss of performance in my Performance), so that's my typical daily charge level these days.

Not sure how I feel about that considering the car just barely is approaching 20K miles

It's the age, not so much the mileage. Anyway, you only have 10% capacity loss or so (assuming AWD here). Seems fine.