Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If My calculations are correct, I would have only 50 kwh in my pack at 100%. Is that right?
That math would be right, but unless the car was 92% right before you drove it, and you drove it continuously, the system doesn't count kWh usage when the car is not in motion (vampire drain, any HVAC use).
Also, as you say, without a perfect fuel gauge, you aren't sure if the drop from 92% to 60% is accurate. My range went up at one point as I was driving UPHILL. It's always re-calculating things.

That math would be right, but unless the car was 92% right before you drove it, and you drove it continuously, the system doesn't count kWh usage when the car is not in motion (vampire drain, any HVAC use).
Also, as you say, without a perfect fuel gauge, you aren't sure if the drop from 92% to 60% is accurate. My range went up at one point as I was driving UPHILL. It's always re-calculating things.
Good to know. I didn’t realize that the kWh used didn’t account for usage outside of driving. It wasn’t continuous driving but accounted for last 2 days of usage. I am concerned that my 90% charge is now down to 231 miles from 279 when new. I’ve tried cycling the battery down to 5% and charge back up to 100% many times but it just keeps on dropping

I am concerned that my 90% charge is now down to 231 miles from 279 when new. I’ve tried cycling the battery down to 5% and charge back up to 100% many times but it just keeps on dropping
I agree, that is worrisome. I'd file a service ticket with Tesla for them to look at it. You have an 8 year battery warranty, so it is covered- and they will cover if it gets below 80% I believe. A 2018 Model 3 Performance was advertised as 310 miles range, so I'd think anything below 248 would trigger a replacement.

Reactions: dds28
My battery charged at 82% and estimation miles is 242 miles. is that normal reading range? seem low to me.

I am sure you guys talk about that, but wanted a quick conversation for it. I provided some data about my 35 miles trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    794 KB · Views: 44
My battery charged at 82% and estimation miles is 242 miles. is that normal reading range? seem low to me.

I am sure you guys talk about that, but wanted a quick conversation for it. I provided some data about my 35 miles trip.

its talked about in this (very very very long) thread I moved your post to. You can read through or search this thread for more conversation on this topic.

You can also calculate your remaining battery capacity using the information on the tesla screen:

The range for my 2021 MP3 last week suddenly and without any discernible changes in driving or charging habits dropped from 315 miles to 270 for 100% charge level and to 248m for 90% charge. Temps are above 50º now in my garage, which were in the mid 40s a week ago, when I still could charge to 100% (which I rarely do except before trips). Can you please send the link where similar sudden drops in battery capacity are being discussed?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The range for my 2021 MP3 last week suddenly and without any discernible changes in driving or charging habits dropped from 315 miles to 270 for 100% charge level and to 248m for 90% charge. Temps are above 50º now in my garage, which were in the mid 40s a week ago, when I still could charge to 100% (which I rarely do except before trips). Can you please send the link where similar sudden drops in battery capacity are being discussed?
You will not loose that much in one chunk, so its most probable the BMS thats off.

How is your charging schedule? Charge to which SOC, and how often.
Whats the lowest SOC during a week.

You might wanna perform a BMS Calibration( showing the battery at low and high SOC to the BMS, and let tge car sleep at those SOC( no Sentry, no peaking in the app).

You will not loose that much in one chunk, so its most probable the BMS thats off.

How is your charging schedule? Charge to which SOC, and how often.
Whats the lowest SOC during a week.

You might wanna perform a BMS Calibration( showing the battery at low and high SOC to the BMS, and let tge car sleep at those SOC( no Sentry, no peaking in the app).
I have done a few BMS Calibration without any success. How low and how high of SOC would you recommend? 10-100? I have read some threads going as low as possible and some recommending 20% is enough. Also if I charge to 100%, is it ok to let it sleep for 4-5 hours in full charge?

Reactions: AAKEE
It looks, that Tesla is lying and supplying EU LR21 with a china NMC 811 LG Chem battery. I don't want this unstable chemistry! The only benefit is a low price - for Tesla. About 60% slower charging speed and no information about lifecycle.
My only request through out my LR 21 order was that I had the. 82KWH battery - not the 2020 75kwh battery, my adviser assured I had the 82KWH battery, when I picked up my car the tesla person was oblivious to battery size, the Tesla service said they cant tell me its proprietary information, now they tell me I got stuck with older smaller 75kwh battery, some LR21 got stuck with the older smaller battery, others got the newer bigger 82KWH battery, & we all paid the same price. I’m so upset w/ Tesla over the battery issue. My battery has degraded 2.5% in 6 months. They should offer the LR21 customers a battery swap or upgrade to the the 82KWH battery, they need to be transparent & honest re: battery size your car upon purchase

I have had my 2021 M3P for 15 months now, and put 10k miles on it. I use a level 2 Chargepoint charger in my garage (48A) and always charge to 80-90%, (82kWh battery) with the rare supercharging on long trips.

I started sifting through the 226 pages of this thread, but have so far not come across any other report of sudden, big drop in range (from 315 to 270) and that in less than two weeks, when, prior since new, the 310-315 range had never ever dropped.

Big question: has Tesla in any of its recent updates recalibrated range or messed with something else that would cause such a sudden drop in range? I already made a service appointment.

My only request through out my LR 21 order was that I had the. 82KWH battery - not the 2020 75kwh battery, my adviser assured I had the 82KWH battery, when I picked up my car the tesla person was oblivious to battery size, the Tesla service said they cant tell me its proprietary information, now they tell me I got stuck with older smaller 75kwh battery, some LR21 got stuck with the older smaller battery, others got the newer bigger 82KWH battery, & we all paid the same price. I’m so upset w/ Tesla over the battery issue. My battery has degraded 2.5% in 6 months. They should offer the LR21 customers a battery swap or upgrade to the the 82KWH battery, they need to be transparent & honest re: battery size your car upon purchase
I received my M3 LR AWD MiC end September 2021 and it's a model "5C" with the LG NMC L48 battery, stated Full Pack when New in SMT, 74.5 kWh. I, like a number of others in Europe, was given a € 2000 discount on purchase. I won't say I was entirely satisfied with the transparency of Tesla over that process but they did give the discount, the guy at handover in Nantes thought I had an LFP :cool:! I read that sort of story elsewhere too.

All that's history and over with. I will say I am really entirely satisfied with my M3 and have no regrets at all about the purchase. It's a really great car! It's got all the range I need and more. Charging at a Suc is fine even if a bit slower than the NCA chemistry batteries.

I try to look after the battery and follow @AAKEE's advice on storage and charging. I have the luxury of not needing to use my car every day so I can store @ low SoC (as a function of ambient temperature) and then charge to use.

The attached graphic shows that based on NFP measurements from SMT for my M3 (Dusty Crophopper), I appear, to date, to have about 1.3% "degradation" since the dawn of time, 6 months ago (note, I only started measuring NPF when I got SMT, about three months ago so the first part of the graph is my extrapolation (right or wrong)). I use NFP data because it seems less "noisy" (less variance) than Full Rated Range data. I understand the data is about normal for NMC or NCA and it seems to align with the degradation chart @ teslalogger.de although I admit it's not easy to see at the start of their (generic) chart. I'm happy to be challenged on that. By extrapolation, I could have between 2 and 3% degradation @12 months, likely I guess, from calendar aging, my cyclic aging doesn't appear to be very great right now, but neither do I have enough SMT data for that at present. Overall, if I've understood from discussions elsewhere in this forum and Master Thread, these data are not unusual. Hope that helps for interpreting yours too!

Attachments

• Max Rated Range and Nominal Full Pack (SMT) Vs Time.png
    Max Rated Range and Nominal Full Pack (SMT) Vs Time.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Paige111
Hi Bouba, did you mean the this one? https://teslalogger.de/
Select M3 on the degradation page but, for the moment as I mentioned it used too much host bandwidth
Did you mean something else?
Isn’t that one German? Besides it’s offline ‘it exceeded its data limits ‘
What I’m looking for is a used connector for a French wall socket and a M3....the ones on the Tesla shop are €340 and are out of stock

Isn’t that one German? Besides it’s offline ‘it exceeded its data limits ‘
What I’m looking for is a used connector for a French wall socket and a M3....the ones on the Tesla shop are €340 and are out of stock
Indeed, the price charged for a wallbox is quite scandalous, at least in France. I suppose that's because of all the government or car supplier subsidies - a bit like solar panels. I don't know about used connectors. I bought my wallbox in 2020 off amazon.fr. As far as I could tell it was the cheapest and simplest (just a box, no attached cable). I have a separate 6 M cable. Amazon.fr says not available but it's still available on the supplier's UK website @£300 inc VAT. I paid €330 inc VAT. My electrician installed it and it's worked really well since then without problems - though not used every day. It gives me 6.2 kVA Some risk ordering from the UK maybe?

If I find anything else I'll let you know (maybe other forum users can comment?).

Reactions: Bouba
Indeed, the price charged for a wallbox is quite scandalous, at least in France. I suppose that's because of all the government or car supplier subsidies - a bit like solar panels. I don't know about used connectors. I bought my wallbox in 2020 off amazon.fr. As far as I could tell it was the cheapest and simplest (just a box, no attached cable). I have a separate 6 M cable. Amazon.fr says not available but it's still available on the supplier's UK website @£300 inc VAT. I paid €330 inc VAT. My electrician installed it and it's worked really well since then without problems - though not used every day. It gives me 6.2 kVA Some risk ordering from the UK maybe?

If I find anything else I'll let you know (maybe other forum users can comment?).
It’s not the wall box i want...just the cable from an ordinary household socket to the Model 3
But yes, I am used to the extraordinary high prices we pay in France for everything 😡