Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just use 50% if it is no problem to do so. If it’s a pain or means needing to remember to add more charge, use something higher. And keep it plugged in when not driving and charge every night.
Wait, does this imply the higher the charge percentage the worse it is for the battery? I thought the whole thing about lithium ion batteries are the load cycles. Going from 90% to 70% should be the same as going from 50% to 30%.

Cycle depth? Apologies - 25 hour old Tesla owner
Just means the range of SOC. So 5x between 60% and 50% is better than 1x 60% to 10%. Though average SOC matters too so have to separate that impact. But anyway ideally low SOC with small (shallow) cycles. But make it easy on yourself!

For most owners it is actually convenient to just plug in all the time and this is better for the battery for a given SOC charge target so it is win-win which is probably why Telsa recommends it.

Last edited:
Cycle depth? Apologies - 25 hour old Tesla owner
Depth of discharge - the amount of energy removed and then added to a battery compared to its capacity. 100% to 0% and back again is one cycle, but is also a 100% depth of discharge. 75% to 25% and back again twice is also one cycle, but with a 50% depth of discharge. 50% to 40% and back again 10 times is one cycle but with a 10% depth of discharge. But the total number of cycles (i.e. the amount of useful energy you can get out of the battery) before it degrades to a certain point is inversely proportional to the depth of discharge (see Table 2), roughly tripling every time the average depth of discharge is cut in half, as well as inversely proportional to the upper voltage you were using when you were cycling the battery (see Table 4 in the previous link), where every 10-15% reduction also doubles the number of useful cycles you get. Calendar aging (aging associated with the battery simply existing over a certain amount of time, even if it is not used at all) is inversely proportional to the state of charge at which the battery is kept. High temperatures are bad for batteries in storage, but are beneficial when fast charging because they make it where the ions can more easily move around.

Put it all together and for maximum battery life, you want to:
1. Charge as often as possible (minimize average depth of discharge)
2. Put as little charge into the battery as you can get away with (minimize upper voltage)
3. Charge the battery as close to your departure time as possible and drive the car immediately after you charge it (minimize calendar aging)

Anyone have experience with the Volta charging network? Discovered that one of my work sites installed these and they just went live. They don’t even show up on their map, but it appears they are live when physically looking at them. Just use the J1772 adapter?

Anyone have experience with the Volta charging network? Discovered that one of my work sites installed these and they just went live. They don’t even show up on their map, but it appears they are live when physically looking at them. Just use the J1772 adapter?
Volta is probably the most unreliable charging network. Their chargers are almost perpetually in use and you can never depend on being able to use them. But if you can get one, it's 2 hours of free energy.

Reactions: PushinT
Hey guys, so I keep reading about this and there's 2 thoughts:

1) People say M3P gets poor range solely because of either driving habits and/or heavy OEM tires/wheels.
2) People say M3P get worse range because it has a more aggressive rear motor and/or software which makes it more difficult to have the same range as M3 LR

So which one is it? And is there truth to both?

I’m an owner of a 2022 Model 3 Performance and i live in the Boston area. This past weekend I was up in Burlington, VT where my car was damaged by some guy who ran amuck and damaged several cars with rocks in an enclosed parking garage at the hotel I was staying at. My car sustained a damaged windshield and glass roof near the windshield. Luckily the police caught the guy and arrested him.

My insurance will pay for the damage however i’m having a hard time with the Tesla repair facilities in Massachusetts. I requested service through the app, selected the repairs (windshield & glass roof), picked a facility and date for the repairs about 2 weeks out. I received an email confirming the request. About 5 hours later i got a message through the app saying they do not do these glass repairs at the service centers at this time and that i should try a 3rd party. My appointment was then cancelled. Eventually i scheduled the windshield replacement at Safelite. However, I’m not sure who would do the glass roof panel replacement.

I am very shocked that they do not do these repairs at the service centers. Any ideas on where i should get this done? Anyone Tesla owners in New England who have experienced this problem? I suppose i could go to a Tesla Certified body shop but i’m not sure if they would do that repair.

Hi guys,

I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ with the sport rims (it's a dope car and I really love it). Have only had the car for a few months, but I've noticed that the range drops a lot more rapidly than I think it should be.

I charge the car to 90% so that leaves me with about 224 miles of range.

Anyways, I drove to the airport and back today. One way is 28 miles, which is about ~60 miles total and there was no traffic. My A/C settings weren't too crazy either (set to 73 degrees and the fan set to 1 the entire time). Never did any crazy accelerations or anything either, just cruised at the speed limit.

Yet when I got home I only had 110 miles remaining. So that 60 mile trip basically used up 114 miles of range. Is this normal? Cause this seems really excessive.

Would appreciate any insight!

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The closest I ever came to that was going 85 on a segment of a road trip. Saw I wasn’t going to make it to the next charger and slowed it down to 65, making it with about 5% in the tank. But even then I don’t think it was using 114 miles of range to travel 56 miles…What does your trips display show for watt-hours per mile for the life of the car? (And for that trip, if you still have it available.)