Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for such quick response! I have been so worried. I have looked into Sentry mode (idk what this even is) and made sure was off, which was off. i turned off cabin overheat but worried about screen or anything else overheating as car is sitting outside in Texas 100 degree weather all day at work.... but thank you for responding. I was worried about the difference the mileage actually was and what battery is registering.

Thank you for such quick response! I have been so worried. I have looked into Sentry mode (idk what this even is) and made sure was off, which was off. i turned off cabin overheat but worried about screen or anything else overheating as car is sitting outside in Texas 100 degree weather all day at work.... but thank you for responding. I was worried about the difference the mileage actually was and what battery is registering.
And to add to what dmurphy stated, there are other factors that will affect battery energy consumed (road condition, weather, and options used in car--air conditioning in hot Texas weather ;)). My wife's commute is about 45 miles one way--and mostly highway driving at 65 mph. She departs home with 80% SOC and arrives at work with 65% SOC.

Enjoy your new-to-you ride!

And to add to what dmurphy stated, there are other factors that will affect battery energy consumed (road condition, weather, and options used in car--air conditioning in hot Texas weather ;)). My wife's commute is about 45 miles one way--and mostly highway driving at 65 mph. She departs home with 80% SOC and arrives at work with 65% SOC.

Enjoy your new-to-you ride!
Ok, thank you.

When
Good morning! I am a new Tesla Model 3 RWD owner. I bought it used, its a 2021, and only has 12,000 miles. I drove it the first time to my town grocery store and back home, only maybe 20 miles total, but percent went from 80% down to 58%?! I have driven it to work all this week and switched from % display to miles, and the miles is always off in comparison to actual miles driven and miles lost per battery. For instance, i actually drove 75 miles round trip, but car battery shows a loss of 112 miles. Only driving 75 miles and battery % went down 47% (89% down to 42%). Oh, and the battery will lose 5% just sitting there from work arrival at 8 am to 4:45 pm. Is this normal or should i have dealership do something about this before its too late?
Sitting at work your sentry and your climate cabin overheating protection maybe on. Turn those off and you car will maintain its charge.

My 2018 AWD 3LR is down to 266 miles on 100% charge. Yes, I "reset" the battery gauge on the BMS by running the car down to around 6% charge and then charging to full. The car has about 75,000 miles on it now. I seem to recall the original rated range for this car was 310 miles, being down around 14% after less than 4 years seems like pretty bad degradation? Anyone else out there with a 2018 "Tent Era" AWD 3LR can corroborate this degradation level?

August 2018 build performance, @ 57kmiles, charged to 90% daily, 321wh/mile lifetime, current 100% SOC is 272 miles.
While I do charge to 90%, I have always used scheduled charging and now scheduled departure for as along as I can remember it was an option…..to minimize how long it stays at 90%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UnknownSoldier
Got a question about 2021 LRM3. The charge stats over the past 3 months shown below. Why information displayed in Trips tab miles driven and energy used since last charge (wh/mile and total number of kWh) does not match the number of kWh added post-charging. For example. yesterday (just prior to charging) the car displayed 171 miles driven, 37 kWh used yet 45 kWh post-charging. Also shown below is the total number of miles driven + remaining which is less than the projected number of miles at the time of charging. Not using sentry mode, cabin overheat protection off, climate off and no looking at the app. What explains this phantom drainage? Charging limit of 79%. Any thoughts? Thanks.
1656766128555.png

The Trip data is based on EPA test data that is taken on a test track at about 55 mph and establishes a Wh/mile. If you were to drive at or below the Wh/mile you could achieve close to the EPA range. If you drive above this mark, you will get less.

Also the Trip data does not record data when not in gear. So sitting in car in park, vampire drain, etc. is not included in Trip data.

My 2018 LR RWD EPA estimate is 234 Wh/mile. You do not say whether yours is a RWD or Dual Motor. I am not sure what your 2021 estimate is but I would expect somewhere around 240 Wh/mile.

Looking at your kWH/mile and converting to Wh/mile, you have trip at 230 Wh/mile. Your expected miles is 244, your driven miles is 145 and remaining miles is 120. So 145 + 120 is 265. So your range miles is greater than expected miles.

Another trip is at 310 Wh/mile. Your expected miles is 288, driven miles is 134, and remaining miles is 88. So 134 + 88 = 222. So in this case your range miles is less than expected.

Your driving speed, weather, wind, elevation change, etc. all affect your Wh/mile and your range miles. Look at your Energy Graph Consumption chart. The dotted line is your EPA rated Wh/mile. If your current consumption is above this line, you will get less range miles. If it is below this line, you get more range miles.

37 kWh used yet 45 kWh post-charging.
This post will eventually get moved probably, but anyway, summarizing above:

1) Charging is about 90%-92% efficient at 11.5kW (as low as 70% at 1.44kW). Note that the kWh added in your table is from the screen in the car (not a meter), it appears. Note that this number displayed in the car as “energy added” does not reflect energy added to the battery (it is about 1.047 times (1/0.955) larger than what is actually added to the battery).

2) Trip meter does not capture energy use when car is in park. So it is not useful for checking total energy use and true efficiency.

3) Displayed miles are a unit of energy not distance. For your 2021 LR the energy content per displayed mile is 0.955*77.8kWh/353mi = 210Wh/mi. The delta in the displayed rated miles is the easiest way to check your approximate actual energy use between charges, and then just multiply by 1/0.9 = 1.11 to get the (approximate) wall energy.

So for example if you used 200 rated miles between charges, with 11.5kW charging, that would roughly be:

210Wh/rmi*200rmi /0.9 = 46.7kWh from the wall. And the screen would display 200rmi*210Wh/rmi/0.955 = 45kWh

Last edited:
Reactions: jdcollins5
Got a question about 2021 LRM3. The charge stats over the past 3 months shown below. Why information displayed in Trips tab miles driven and energy used since last charge (wh/mile and total number of kWh) does not match the number of kWh added post-charging. For example. yesterday (just prior to charging) the car displayed 171 miles driven, 37 kWh used yet 45 kWh post-charging. Also shown below is the total number of miles driven + remaining which is less than the projected number of miles at the time of charging. Not using sentry mode, cabin overheat protection off, climate off and no looking at the app. What explains this phantom drainage? Charging limit of 79%. Any thoughts? Thanks.
View attachment 823904
Drain averages about 0.15m/hr, but can range as high as 2.0m/hr, depending upon what is on or off. When you look at how much time has passed between data points, 12 days, you can see that it can quickly add up. 43 miles of drain based upon the average of 0.15m/hr over 12 days. Maybe, your car is not sleeping, so your drain is higher than average, even with sentry and cabin protection off.

My 2018 LR RWD EPA estimate is 234 Wh/mile. You do not say whether yours is a RWD or Dual Motor. I am not sure what your 2021 estimate is but I would expect somewhere around 240 Wh/mile.

Looking at your kWH/mile and converting to Wh/mile, you have trip at 230 Wh/mile. Your expected miles is 244, your driven miles is 145 and remaining miles is 120. So 145 + 120 is 265. So your range miles is greater than expected miles.

Another trip is at 310 Wh/mile. Your expected miles is 288, driven miles is 134, and remaining miles is 88. So 134 + 88 = 222. So in this case your range miles is less than expected.

Your driving speed, weather, wind, elevation change, etc. all affect your Wh/mile and your range miles. Look at your Energy Graph Consumption chart. The dotted line is your EPA rated Wh/mile. If your current consumption is above this line, you will get less range miles. If it is below this line, you get more range miles.
Appreciate your response. It is dual motor AWD.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Drain averages about 0.15m/hr, but can range as high as 2.0m/hr, depending upon what is on or off. When you look at how much time has passed between data points, 12 days, you can see that it can quickly add up. 43 miles of drain based upon the average of 0.15m/hr over 12 days. Maybe, your car is not sleeping, so your drain is higher than average, even with sentry and cabin protection off.
Is there anything else I can do to ensure the car goes to sleep?

This post will eventually get moved probably, but anyway, summarizing above:

1) Charging is about 90%-92% efficient at 11.5kW (as low as 70% at 1.44kW). Note that the kWh added in your table is from the screen in the car (not a meter), it appears. Note that this number displayed in the car as “energy added” does not reflect energy added to the battery (it is about 1.047 times (1/0.955) larger than what is actually added to the battery).

2) Trip meter does not capture energy use when car is in park. So it is not useful for checking total energy use and true efficiency.

3) Displayed miles are a unit of energy not distance. For your 2021 LR the energy content per displayed mile is 0.955*77.8kWh/353mi = 210Wh/mi. The delta in the displayed rated miles is the easiest way to check your approximate actual energy use between charges, and then just multiply by 1/0.9 = 1.11 to get the (approximate) wall energy.

So for example if you used 200 rated miles between charges, with 11.5kW charging, that would roughly be:

210Wh/rmi*200rmi /0.9 = 46.7kWh from the wall. And the screen would display 200rmi*210Wh/rmi/0.955 = 45kWh
This is helpful, thank you.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is there anything else I can do to ensure the car goes to sleep?
Don’t use any third-party apps (change your password).

Turn off Sentry.

Turn off Summon Standby.

Turn off cabin overheat protection (this is only an issue for the first 10 hours and then COP stops operating so may not be necessary depending on the timeframe of interest).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Don’t use any third-party apps (change your password).

Turn off Sentry.

Turn off Summon Standby.

Turn off cabin overheat protection (this is only an issue for the first 10 hours and then COP stops operating so may not be necessary depending on the timeframe of interest).
There's the one other setting, "data"? Is that it? I'd turn that off so that the car doesn't get polled at all. After hermes has resolved his issue, he can slowly turn some settings back on. But for now, I'd turn as much off as possible.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hey all,

Hoping for some help. I have a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD.

Here are some relevant data:

Distance driven: 113 miles
Total Energy 27 kWh
Avg Energy 244 Wh/mi

Battery meter shows 22% left or 60 miles.
After charging back up to 81% --> I see 222 miles

-------

From what I gather -- my particular car has 75kWh of which 72.5 is usable.

72500 Wh x 244 Wh/mi = 307 miles

307 miles x 81% = ~249 miles

222 miles / 249 miles = 10% degradation?

I had my car checked a few weeks ago at Tesla. They reported that my battery "has a 2.5% lower than average of similar vehicles. The CAC of this battery does NOT reside within the concerning bounds."

---------

Are my calculations correct? Hoping for some confirmation and assistance on this matter!

Thank you!

There's the one other setting, "data"? Is that it? I'd turn that off so that the car doesn't get polled at all.
Yeah could do that too. I don’t seem to have any problems with it though I have not closely compared with it on/off.
Are my calculations correct?
No.
72500 Wh x 244 Wh/mi = 307 miles
Units are wrong. Calculation also incorrect. Not sure what this was supposed to mean.
After charging back up to 81% --> I see 222 miles
This is all you need:
222mi/0.81 = 274 mi at 100% (plus or minus a couple)

274/310 = 88.4%

So 11.6% capacity loss. It’s actually 13.7% loss because you probably started with closer to 77.8kWh than 76kWh. (Between 77.8kWh and 76kWh the car showed about 310mi when charged to 100%).

You don’t need to look at trip meter stuff.

Your BMS thinks you have 67.1kWh left, of which 64.1kWh is usable. Pretty typical, a bit below the average probably.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC