Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss with Cargo Weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYLR on order and my dad is considering ordering one as well. He carries a lot of gear around for work (about 400lbs) and wants to know how the range is affected with that amount of weight in the back of the car. I'm assuming there is some loss, but haven't been able to find a good estimate. Anyone know? Thanks!

In a conventional vehicle weight/extra weight has a greater impact on efficiency. You have to burn gas (or diesel) to accelerate from a stop to the cruising speed. When you come to a stop all of the energy in the vehicles momentum is lost as you slow down and brake. The next time you start moving you have to use more fuel to get back up to speed. In an EV with regenerative braking when you slow down or stop approximately 70% of the energy is captured and put back into the battery. You can use that energy to extend your driving range.

A Google search turned this up.

Q: How efficient is regenerative braking?

A: Efficiency of the regenerative braking process varies across many vehicles, motors, batteries and controllers, but is often somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70% efficient. ... This simply means that 70% of the kinetic energy lost during the act of braking can be turned back into acceleration later.

A Google search turned this up.

Q: How efficient is regenerative braking?

A: Efficiency of the regenerative braking process varies across many vehicles, motors, batteries and controllers, but is often somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70% efficient. ... This simply means that 70% of the kinetic energy lost during the act of braking can be turned back into acceleration later.
My Google search and use of scan my Tesla shows much less

Model S drivers have reported recapturing as much as 32% of their total energy use while driving up and then back downhill. This would effectively increase a 100 mile car’s range to 132 miles, for example. A Model S P85D owner reported approximately 28% energy recapture (forum in Danish) and still others have reported recapturing between 15-20% of their total kWh usage on average during normal trips.

My Google search and use of scan my Tesla shows much less
Different units.

The article says drivers report regaining 32% of total energy use, so extending a 100 mile range to 132. But if you drive 100 miles and never hit the brakes, you extend the 100 mile range 0 miles through regen. You regen a higher percentage of total use when doing a lot of stop and go.

The 70% figure is referring to the percentage of braking power that is recovered. Both can be true.

The first is about how much braking drivers do in a typical drive. The second is about the efficiency of converting the kinetic energy back into stored potential energy in the battery. 70% seems to be in the ballpark given other estimates on charging efficiency.