TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range loss

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Joetnr1, Dec 13, 2015.

1. msnow

msnow Active Member

Jerry, can you share why you set always connected off? Was it to minimize vampire loss?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes. The minimum amount of vampire loss is with all the energy saving features turned on.

3. Soolim

Soolim Member

Always connected ON drains the 12V battery thus shortens the battery life.

4. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Yes. Also don't keep your keys to close to the car while at home.

5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Heating and cooling are different because they are high power draw, so they will pull from wall power. All of the electronics-only type of draw, though, will just run from the battery, including cellular connectivity, vampire idle draw, etc. It will let that run from the battery systems until the state of charge goes down about 3% from your set charging limit, and then it will do a charging cycle to refill it.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

That's very interesting. So if I have the slider at 90% and it goes down to ~87% after the scheduled charge is over it will charge again to 90%. Is that right?

7. jerry33

Sort of. If you leave the car parked (for say, a couple of weeks), what will happen is that it will wake up every so often, check, and charge if necessary. Other posters say that charging takes place about once every two days (I've never been away from the car that long). It will charge to whatever level you set.

8. BertL

BertL Active Member

Likely, yes -- but only when the next scheduled time for your charge is set to occur. See the 2nd part of my post #19 above for more detail. On my 90D, even if plugged-in to my HPWC, it tends to wait to start a charge cycle until it's down by 7-8 miles if not driven or interacted with for a couple or three days.

9. msnow

msnow Active Member

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Which means that I don't need to worry about phantom loss and turning off always connected unless I'm on a roadtrip.

10. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Yes, quitting the app (and not reloading the app) will reduce the "phantom drain". Every time the app queries the car it forces the car's computer to turn on. Quitting the app and leaving it off will allow the car to stay in sleep mode.

11. BertL

BertL Active Member

#31 BertL, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    I can't comment with absolute certainty the impact quitting the app and the difference on vampire loss if you have "Always Connected CHECKED" like I do, as IMHO it's a pretty small amount of drain unless perhaps you are constantly checking... I can offer two thoughts:
    1. If you do quit the Tesla App, you'll need to remember to start it back up before getting into your MS if you want the MS Calendar App to pick up any calendar entries from your smartphone for the next two days (I love that feature, especially allowing me to single click on Nav destinations I have tagged on the events from my Mac, Phone or iPad -- since there isn't another method to get an address to MS Nav unless you're sitting in the seat.)
    2. Because of that and my knowing I will never remember to turn the app on every time I approach my MS, I keep the Tesla App running all the time on my iPhone -- where it generally gets used once each day when I awake to make a mental note of that night's rated range after being charged. My Tesla App generally pops up a momentary notice I can never fully read about "are you there?" before then appearing to take a few moments to update the data (and then going out to wake up my MS to pull in current info). Using that process, with "Energy Savings ON/Always Connected CHECKED", I still have only 1-2 miles of vampire loss/day*. Fortunately Tesla gives drivers a few options what they prefer to do protecting range vs convenience.

---for those that like even more detail---
    * With "Energy Savings ON/Always Connected CHECKED" and keeping the Tesla App running in the background of my iPhone 6, this morning, my S90D was at 244 miles rated range when I checked it via my Tesla App. My MS has been sitting in my garage and not touched other than a Tesla App check each morning, door handle extension/retracts as I walked by, and less than 60 secs to open the door to take a picture for another thread here on TMC, now through 3 possible midnight charge cycles, plugged into my HPWC with a 90% Charge Setting to begin at 12 Midnight. My last completed overnight 90% charge resulted in 251 miles; I've lost 6-7 miles in vampire loss in 3 days; If I didn't drive my MS today, it should charge itself back to 90% at Midnight as it's done before.

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

It really comes down to how often you use the app.

When I had "always connected" turned on, my vampire drain was considerable (~15 miles per day) because I keep TeslaMS running to collect the car data. When I filed a support case with Tesla on the issue, I was told that it appeared that heavy app usage was causing it.

13. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Ok. So what I'm gathering from all of this information is that it's MUCH more important to have energy savings ON than either setting of the "always connected" checkbox.

Energy Saving ON seems to have lowered the vampire loss quite a bit for me. About a 2 mile loss overnight (12 hours or so). I will now try and turn the Always Connected back on and see what results I get overnight tonight into tomorrow.

14. msnow

msnow Active Member

In order to test it completely I made sure I had "Background App Refresh" set to ON on my iPhone.

15. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Great thanks, I have this selected as well.

16. jerry33

I never turn off the App, but I never use always connected. In the worst case it takes about as long to connect as it does to floss your teeth.

17. msnow

msnow Active Member

You floss much faster than I do then!