Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range / Mileage / Efficiency Loss with Aftermarket / 3rd Party Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New Model 3 (AWD, ext. battery) owner here (picking up the car in two weeks).

I ordered the 18" Aero wheels (didn't want to spend the $1500 for the 19" wheels... or the money on 19" tires!), but I'm going to be in the market for a second set of wheels for summer/winter tire swapping.

I understand the OEM Aero wheels/covers are designed to minimize drag and increase efficiency, and I think I even remember reading/hearing somewhere that they can increase mileage by 10% over other wheels.

Is this true? Can I expect a 10% reduction in range/mileage if I use 3rd-party wheels?
Have existing owners noticed a loss of range using non-Aero wheels? If so, any estimates of what that loss is?

Finally, are there aftermarket wheels folks recommend?

Many thanks!

Plenty of aftermarket options. In regards to the wheels/tires:
  • Aero covers provide between 4-7% range gain at high speeds (>60 mph) as opposed to open rims.
  • Tires rolling resistance impact range. The stock Aero tires are eco-focused but not necessary super low rolling resistance tires like other EVs due to the massive performance of Tesla's. If you get something super grippy like the 19" or 20" sports tires (ultra high performance grippy), expect an additional 10-15% loss in range.

290Wh/mi with 18" aeros MXM4
350Wh/mi with 18x9.5" TSW Bathurst 265/40R18 Pilot Sport 4S
Wheels and tires make a big difference!

That's a big difference! What is your source? Thanks.

I suspect a huge increase is due to the wider tires greatly increase contact patch surface and rolling resistance as a result. If you kept the same width for PS4S, the increase should be something in the 10-20 Wh/mile increase not the 60 that you're seeing there.

Near the end of my treadwear life on my stock 20" RIMs + PS4S, I was getting something like 250-260 Wh/mile vs 240 on my current 18" MXM4s.