Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode Choice Effects Displayed Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I happened to be charging today and I happened to switch range mode on, and within a couple of seconds I noticed my max range jumped up by a couple of miles. I was a little surprised and thought I was seeing things so I switched it back, and the rated range dropped. I cycled it a number of times and it was very consistent though it took up to about 30 seconds to show updated rated miles on the display.

I played a bit with it driving and sitting in the driveway after, and I could get it to drop on the switch out of range mode, but it stopped there and would not go back up when switching it back to range mode. (Edit: I think this is due to the ~1kWh/3 mile hysteresis the display uses to not increase the range displayed every time the car goes into regen.)

I'm curious if anyone else found any other settings the directly effect the displayed rated range?

Peter

Last edited:
So I happened to be charging today and I happened to switch range mode on, and within a couple of seconds I noticed my max range jumped up by a couple of miles. I was a little surprised and thought I was seeing things so I switched it back, and the rated range dropped. I cycled it a number of times and it was very consistent though it took up to about 30 seconds to show updated rated miles on the display.

I played a bit with it driving and sitting in the driveway after, and I could get it to drop on the switch out of range mode, but it stopped there and would not go back up when switching it back to range mode.

I'm curious if anyone else found any other settings the directly effect the displayed rated range?

Peter
range mode reduces power to the heating and cooling system as well as the battery pack warmer, which is why your seeing a increase in range. heat plus pack warmer combined is drawing almost enough power to sustain 60mph.

range mode reduces power to the heating and cooling system as well as the battery pack warmer, which is why your seeing a increase in range. heat plus pack warmer combined is drawing almost enough power to sustain 60mph.
Ok, I'm confused. Please assist. How is "range driving mode" related to "displayed rated range" while charging?

Yes yes, I know that. My observation and point is different. I'll restate it slightly, the maximum range my car displays changes depending on the mode setting of range mode. My 100% max charge is 246 miles with range mode off, and 248 miles with range mode on.

Last edited:
Yes yes, I know that. My observation and point is different. I'll restate it slightly, the maximum range my car displays changes depending on the mode setting of range mode. My 100% max charge is 246 miles with range mode off, and 248 miles with range mode on.
ah ok, that range mode. for future reference, range mode is a toggle to reduce power to the hvac system, range charge/trip charge is to 100% charge.

as for The change in reported range from 100% charge, no idea. software bug most likely.

Trunk midgets is my new security upgrade. you try to touch my car, and my two midgets jump out of the trunk with baseball bats and break your knee caps. and don't underestimate their ages at 3 and 5, those boys are deadly, and if their really angry they will launch the snowball attack (peepee diaper throwing) or gas bomb attack (pooie diaper balls).

software bug most likely.

I suppose anything could be a software bug, but I kinda doubt this one. To be clear, this effect can be seen at any SOC, not just 100%, that just makes for a cleaner example.

For others, If you have had the car in range mode for a while (i.e. driven a couple of miles or more), and take it out of range mode, do you see your rated range drop (within 30 seconds)?

I'm curious what other items change the rated range displayed: Tire pressure? Exterior Temperature sensor? Etc.?

Peter

I suppose anything could be a software bug, but I kinda doubt this one. To be clear, this effect can be seen at any SOC, not just 100%, that just makes for a cleaner example.

For others, If you have had the car in range mode for a while (i.e. driven a couple of miles or more), and take it out of range mode, do you see your rated range drop (within 30 seconds)?

I'm curious what other items change the rated range displayed: Tire pressure? Exterior Temperature sensor? Etc.?

Peter

Thx for your experimentation, Peter. Through the whole debate on degradation/range loss, I've been convinced that new software is the culprit for lower rated range numbers. This finding further supports that. I was consistently 265ish on range charge up until recent batch of software releases over last 6 months, after which I'm low 250s. Wish I was tracking better, and I might know which release might be culprit, tho that's purely academic.

Here's my take on how it OUGHTA work. Rated range should never change. It's the only thing that gives us a baseline, and it should reflect the battery's SOC extrapolated to the EPA rating. Period. Full stop.
Projected range should reflect temp, settings, usage, etc., and should be improved as Tesla accumulates data.
Problem is, the only way projected range is displayed is via the energy app. So, I'm guessing that post-Broder, Tesla felt compelled to make "rated" more dynamic.
It would have been better if, rather than messing with "rated", Tesla had further enhanced "projected" range, and found a way to display alongside "rated" or "ideal" on the dash.

Projected range should reflect temp, settings, usage, etc., and should be improved as Tesla accumulates data.
Problem is, the only way projected range is displayed is via the energy app. So, I'm guessing that post-Broder, Tesla felt compelled to make "rated" more dynamic.
It would have been better if, rather than messing with "rated", Tesla had further enhanced "projected" range, and found a way to display alongside "rated" or "ideal" on the dash.

IMO thats a great idea! Say projected range in a yellow line, Rated Grey line as now, and Ideal as a green line.

Thx for your experimentation, Peter. Through the whole debate on degradation/range loss, I've been convinced that new software is the culprit for lower rated range numbers. This finding further supports that. I was consistently 265ish on range charge up until recent batch of software releases over last 6 months, after which I'm low 250s. Wish I was tracking better, and I might know which release might be culprit, tho that's purely academic.

Here's my take on how it OUGHTA work. Rated range should never change. It's the only thing that gives us a baseline, and it should reflect the battery's SOC extrapolated to the EPA rating. Period. Full stop.

I agree that rated range should never change for a particular SOC. (I don't agree about the whole debate on degradation, and I think I can prove you wrong there). In any case, I have reproduced Peter's findings.

Basically, the rated range remaining and measured Wh/mi keep changing with software revs and Tesla isn't transparent about what they're doing. Presumably, they're trying to make things more accurate and help us drivers predict how far we can go, but the whole system is broken. What's needed (and I think most of us realize this) is integration between Energy and Nav apps (along with multivariate regression of Tesla's huge telemetry database to correlate consumption to all variables). This is doable, but I'm not sure Tesla would see the ROI deploying resources on this vs. new cars, etc. In the meantime...

We've found the EVTripPlanner.com Planner is quite accurate at predicting usage if you put in the payload/speed/car/temp parameters accurately. You should allow 5% margin at minimum, though (or just slow down a bit).

Planner at EVTripPlanner

Unreleased version with a few more tweaks at EVTripPlanner

There are thousands of drivers using it now and we're planning hundreds of routes per day. Pretty exciting. To see where drivers are planning routes you can see the interactive map at Where The Teslas Go

Basically, the rated range remaining and measured Wh/mi keep changing with software revs and Tesla isn't transparent about what they're doing. Presumably, they're trying to make things more accurate and help us drivers predict how far we can go, but the whole system is broken. What's needed (and I think most of us realize this) is integration between Energy and Nav apps (along with multivariate regression of Tesla's huge telemetry database to correlate consumption to all variables). This is doable, but I'm not sure Tesla would see the ROI deploying resources on this vs. new cars, etc. In the meantime...

We've found the EVTripPlanner.com Planner is quite accurate at predicting usage if you put in the payload/speed/car/temp parameters accurately. You should allow 5% margin at minimum, though (or just slow down a bit).

Planner at EVTripPlanner

Unreleased version with a few more tweaks at EVTripPlanner

There are thousands of drivers using it now and we're planning hundreds of routes per day. Pretty exciting. To see where drivers are planning routes you can see the interactive map at Where The Teslas Go

A little on the curious side. Does EVTripPlanner take into consideration terrain and elevation?