Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode effect on battery pre-warming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Someone please remind me if leaving the Range Mode ON has an effect on pre-warming the battery, or not, while parked outside all night staying connected to charger and in the morning I raise the charge level for 80 to 90 percent.
I want to get the battery as unfrozen as possible prior to setting out...

Thanks

You will want Range Mode OFF for preheating to have an effect on the battery. Maybe someday Tesla will realize how silly it is to do the Range Mode settings dance... Sit in car, turn Range Mode On for best efficiency while driving. Arrive at destination, turn Range Mode OFF so preheating will also warm battery pack, and repeat...

Thanks! I will truck it back out to the car and OFF the setting.

Normally, it's off all the time... but I flicked it on whilst driving on this trip out to the mountains, because, you know, range was an issue and I needed to eek out every inch... landed with 3% SOC and a grumpy cold family, but we made it!

Tesla, are you listening? ;-)

They haven't been.

I've written to them about this, directed them to threads on here, polls on here, etc.

The situation became worse when Tesla created torque sleep for the Ds, and noted that for it to work best, range mode needed to be on. So now everyone with a D who wants to maximize the benefits of torque sleep should be driving around with range mode on.

I don't know what it will take for Tesla to get this stuff (range mode, battery preheating, etc.) right, but they certainly haven't done it yet.

They haven't been.

I've written to them about this, directed them to threads on here, polls on here, etc.

The situation became worse when Tesla created torque sleep for the Ds, and noted that for it to work best, range mode needed to be on. So now everyone with a D who wants to maximize the benefits of torque sleep should be driving around with range mode on.

I don't know what it will take for Tesla to get this stuff (range mode, battery preheating, etc.) right, but they certainly haven't done it yet.

Oh I'm well aware they aren't quick on the draw with lots of this stuff... The fact that backup lines got added (eventually) and it seems like recent firmware now allows unlocking only the driver door gives me a bit of hope that at some point they will improve this particular situation.

I am looking forward to any new software drop that will restore my broken nav, broken voice commands, and broken bluetooth, that all came along with the first update post 7.0.... :mad: the only thing good for me with last update was restoring the poor HVAC heating performance that 7.0 brought along.

I needed that heat for this trip... but was flying blind without the nav and really missed the charge estimates at points along the route.

Last edited:
Do we know as a fact that range mode will reduce battery heating while charging? It only says in the manual that cabin heating and cooling will be reduced, but I don't think it mentions anything about reduced battery heating. I know I have seen many discussions about the reduced battery heating in range mode, but I'm just wondering if that's just something that is repeated here so many times that people assume it's a fact.

Do we know as a fact that range mode will reduce battery heating while charging? It only says in the manual that cabin heating and cooling will be reduced, but I don't think it mentions anything about reduced battery heating. I know I have seen many discussions about the reduced battery heating in range mode, but I'm just wondering if that's just something that is repeated here so many times that people assume it's a fact.
It was well tested as a fact in earlier software releases, but that was quite a long time ago, I haven't heard of anyone testing it in any recent release so it's hard to know for certain if they've improved that logic or not. It really was a ridiculous decision in the first place, so it's possible they've fixed it at some point.

Here's a video Bjorn made regarding preheating (he talks about range mode later on in the video at about 10:40): Tesla Model S preheating explained - YouTube This is based on earlier versions of the software. I'd be interested to see if anyone has tested this out recently. I would like to turn range mode on and take advantage of more aggressive torque sleep on my D, but don't want to lose any preheating of the battery or limit regenerative braking.

Do any D owners turn range mode on? I just keep it off since my daily commute is very short...

Here's a video Bjorn made regarding preheating (he talks about range mode later on in the video at about 10:40): Tesla Model S preheating explained - YouTube This is based on earlier versions of the software. I'd be interested to see if anyone has tested this out recently. I would like to turn range mode on and take advantage of more aggressive torque sleep on my D, but don't want to lose any preheating of the battery or limit regenerative braking.

Do any D owners turn range mode on? I just keep it off since my daily commute is very short...

What many of us do is drive with range mode on, and turn range mode off when we get where we are going, particularly if where we are going is home, where we'll be plugging in. This allows us to still warm the pack when we warm the cabin on shore power, and eliminate some of the regenerative braking limit. When we start our drives, we engage range mode, and if we have any regen limit at that time, it does take quite a while to go away, depending on the drive, etc.

The fact that we have to play games with turning range mode on and off when we get in and out of the car, though, is just silly.

Silly is a milder word than I would have used...

I also find that solution completely impractical because I just don't remember to do it.

I didn't say it was a good solution. :)

I've written to Tesla several times about this issue, and the larger issue of battery preheating. I've started threads and polls. I'd suggest other owners concerned about this issue also write to Tesla, to express their concern.

I have to drive with range mode off in my 90D, due to the high pitched whine when driving at constant speeds when it's enabled.

I tried turning it on for a recent road trip to try to improve range, but could take the whine and had to turn it off. I have to spend more time at super chargers until Tesla figures out how to solve the whine when range mode is on.

I have to drive with range mode off in my 90D, due to the high pitched whine when driving at constant speeds when it's enabled.

I tried turning it on for a recent road trip to try to improve range, but could take the whine and had to turn it off. I have to spend more time at super chargers until Tesla figures out how to solve the whine when range mode is on.

It's because only the front motor is being used. Not sure there is a solution that isn't a mechanical change.