Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning an extended road trip in my 90D (19" tires), and was wondering what the effect of having Range Mode turned "on" would be. Everything else being equal, would it increase my driving range with it "on" rather than "off"? If so, would it be 2%, 3%, 5%? Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but I am new to this forum.

Welcome to the forum!

From the manual:

• Range Mode
If on, Model S conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. Cabin
heating and cooling may be less effective, but seat heaters can be used to provide
warmth in colder climates. When turned on in a dual-motor vehicle, torque distribution
between the motors is optimized to maximize range.

It also allows the internal temperature of the battery to rise slightly squeezing a few more electrons from the battery.

With my driving I find that it gives about 2 to 3 % more, but it all depends on your conditions and style.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
It also limits the amount of power used for the battery heater. Normally battery heater (when very cold) takes something like 6kW, but if you turn on Range Mode it goes down to much much less. Will thus take longer before the battery is ready to accept regen again.

Welcome to the forum!

From the manual:

• Range Mode
If on, Model S conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. Cabin
heating and cooling may be less effective, but seat heaters can be used to provide
warmth in colder climates. When turned on in a dual-motor vehicle, torque distribution
between the motors is optimized to maximize range.

It also allows the internal temperature of the battery to rise slightly squeezing a few more electrons from the battery.

With my driving I find that it gives about 2 to 3 % more, but it all depends on your conditions and style.

Thank you. This info helps a lot.

errr... my neighbour tested this, believing that "range mode" would mean savings: He were driving with range mode on, ~2*25km to-from job, during winter. (think < -5°C)
Then learned that the range mode actually heats the battery to *higher* than normal temperature, given the short distance, it consumes more than it gives.
Disabled range mode, and instantly used less each day...

So I believe range mode uses more energy to actively heat battery pack, and is better for longer trips, maybe not at all during winter, as maintaining a higher temperature pack in very low temperatures may spend a lot of heat too.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
errr... my neighbour tested this, believing that "range mode" would mean savings: He were driving with range mode on, ~2*25km to-from job, during winter. (think < -5°C)
Then learned that the range mode actually heats the battery to *higher* than normal temperature, given the short distance, it consumes more than it gives.
Disabled range mode, and instantly used less each day...

So I believe range mode uses more energy to actively heat battery pack, and is better for longer trips, maybe not at all during winter, as maintaining a higher temperature pack in very low temperatures may spend a lot of heat too.

Battery temperature is maintained by a heater and also by coolant fluid from drivetrain. The purpose of range mode obviously is to consume less energy and thereby increase range. When Range mode is On- the battery heater does not use a lot of energy to heat the battery . But still the battery temperature increases over a period of time by using the heat from drivetrain(through coolant fluid), thereby increasing the usable capacity of the battery and hence range.
So I use range mode when I take short trips(<5miles) in winter- I do not want the battery heater to waste energy by heating the battery. I do not like to use range mode when on long trips because of the increased temperature of battery(from drivetrain) which can result in battery degradation.Note that this is all theory and nobody has an exact answer. I also use range mode when I am about to run out of juice.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Battery temperature is maintained by a heater and also by coolant fluid from drivetrain. The purpose of range mode obviously is to consume less energy and thereby increase range. When Range mode is On- the battery heater does not use a lot of energy to heat the battery . But still the battery temperature increases over a period of time by using the heat from drivetrain(through coolant fluid), thereby increasing the usable capacity of the battery and hence range.
So I use range mode when I take short trips(<5miles) in winter- I do not want the battery heater to waste energy by heating the battery. I do not like to use range mode when on long trips because of the increased temperature of battery(from drivetrain) which can result in battery degradation.Note that this is all theory and nobody has an exact answer. I also use range mode when I am about to run out of juice.
Whose "theory" is it? Has Tesla ever said anything about possible battery degradation from using Range mode, or is this just conjecture on your part?

Whose "theory" is it? Has Tesla ever said anything about possible battery degradation from using Range mode, or is this just conjecture on your part?
Search tesla related forums and some have looked into the changes with range mode. Do you trust them or not is upto you. I personally use range mode on very short trips in cold weather(do not want the battery heater to waste energy) or when I am running out of juice.

Bjørn Nyland posted a you tube video that shows the coolant temperature at the battery inlet and outlet. When range mode was on the inlet temperature was higher than the output. Turning range mode off the inlet temperature was lower.

This makes sense because a warmer battery has more energy available, allowing longer range. Also, using waste heat from the motors to do this does not use any battery energy.

For dual motor cars, range mode shuts down the rear motor when it is not needed, resulting in lower Wh/mi consumption.

GSP

For dual motor cars, range mode shuts down the rear motor when it is not needed, resulting in lower Wh/mi consumption.

GSP
I know I have heard that this was the intention -- has anyone with the ability to read car stats been able to verify when this happens? Torque sleep was a big deal a while back. Can power to front and rear motors be dynamically monitored in some way?

I know I have heard that this was the intention -- has anyone with the ability to read car stats been able to verify when this happens? Torque sleep was a big deal a while back. Can power to front and rear motors be dynamically monitored in some way?
In one of the "I almost didn't make it" threads someone posted a graph while drafting with Autopilot. The numbers from before the drafting showed over 300 wh/mi, and afterwords lower than 240. I don't believe this would be possible without range mode putting the rear motor into free wheeling mode. (I'd expect 260 or 270).

Reactions: BerTX
In one of the "I almost didn't make it" threads someone posted a graph while drafting with Autopilot. The numbers from before the drafting showed over 300 wh/mi, and afterwords lower than 240. I don't believe this would be possible without range mode putting the rear motor into free wheeling mode. (I'd expect 260 or 270).
Thanks, not doubting that it happens, really, just wondering if anyone has been able to monitor it. It would be nice to be able to know what we can do to encourage it to activate (besides drafting a truck).

Bjørn Nyland posted a you tube video that shows the coolant temperature at the battery inlet and outlet. When range mode was on the inlet temperature was higher than the output. Turning range mode off the inlet temperature was lower.

This makes sense because a warmer battery has more energy available, allowing longer range. Also, using waste heat from the motors to do this does not use any battery energy.

GSP
Based on what you said above and what PRASH said earlier, I guess that means that with the range mode turned on, I would get some extra range in the short term but in the long term the extra inlet temperature would degrade the battery if range mode was on all the time, is that correct? I assume the term "degrade" means that the storage capacity of the car's battery would come down.

I have yet to take my Tesla Model S, 90D, on a long trip out of state, but I am planning such a trip next month. I plan to travel from Tucson, AZ and eventually end up in the Rio Grand Valley in Texas going to McAllen and Brownsville. There will be a few legs during my trip that I would want a few extra miles of range because of the distance between charging stations. I would want to have the range mode turned on, for those portions, but would not see the need to do so on other portions. The daytime highs would probably not exceed the low 70's on any stretches during this trip.

So if I had range mode on only occasionally as described above, would that have any long range effect on my battery life/capacity?

Our MS 75D Boston to Orlando Xmas time trip started at 12* F to 76*F in Orlando. 310 w/mi average for the trip there and back We did use the range mode early on and seemed to lengthen your SC time so we shut it off after 2SC Stops It was 32* by then. Best response to range through the the Carolinas and Georgia was limiting cabin heat and use seat heaters. We played with this for a few hundred miles and watched the energy consumption. Only one close call had at South CAROLINA SC 25 mi left. The plus was a quick charge due to SOC. Unless you are in cold or speeding above 75 the car will accuracy estimate range. We have 35500 mi on a2016. Sept build MS

We are leaving Cincinnati this Friday for Destin FL. Moderate temps are expected. Should we turn range mode on or off? Our first long trip in 2015 Model S85D. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've turned on range mode for my 2012 Model S and 2017 X permanently for more than 7 years except when passengers complain that they need quicker a/c-heater NOW then I would turn the range mode off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
We are leaving Cincinnati this Friday for Destin FL. Moderate temps are expected. Should we turn range mode on or off? Our first long trip in 2015 Model S85D. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I can't tell you the answer, because nobody knows the answer.

I can tell you what I do and why. I turn off range mode unless there is a situation where I really, truly need every bit of range available.

My reasoning is that the tiny bit of range improvement will be made up for in a matter of seconds when charging at the next Supercharger. Thus, there is no real advantage to having range mode on all the time. Range mode optimizes battery temperature control to maximize range. In my mind this means it is NOT optimized for longevity. Probably a tiny difference, but given the tiny, usually unnecessary increase in range brought by Range Mode, I opt for possible longevity.

This spring, when driving the 225 miles in my 245 rated range MS75D between Ozona, TX and Van Horn, TX uphill against the wind with everyone else on the road under an 80 mph speed limit, I guarantee I'll have Range Mode on.;)

I can't tell you the answer, because nobody knows the answer.

I can tell you what I do and why. I turn off range mode unless there is a situation where I really, truly need every bit of range available.

My reasoning is that the tiny bit of range improvement will be made up for in a matter of seconds when charging at the next Supercharger. Thus, there is no real advantage to having range mode on all the time. Range mode optimizes battery temperature control to maximize range. In my mind this means it is NOT optimized for longevity. Probably a tiny difference, but given the tiny, usually unnecessary increase in range brought by Range Mode, I opt for possible longevity.

This spring, when driving the 225 miles in my 245 rated range MS75D between Ozona, TX and Van Horn, TX uphill against the wind with everyone else on the road under an 80 mph speed limit, I guarantee I'll have Range Mode on.;)

BerTX have you made that drive yet and if so can you give a report on the difficulty? My wife and I are moving to Austin mid June and that's the one stretch that I'm most concerned about. Hard to find any users reporting experience doing that drive. Of course I'll be going the opposite direction, coming from El Paso, but any info you can give would be a big help.