Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of Model 3 less than expected on my first long-ish trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was well aware that "your mileage will vary" due to speed, outdoor temp, etc., and that the 322 miles promised with a long-range, all-wheel-drive Model 3 would, especially in cold weather, be closer to 250 actual miles.

But I was terribly disappointed by my experience of my first long-ish trip in my long-range, all wheel drive Tesla Model 3.

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND IF MY CONCERNS ARE LEGIT OR WHETHER THERE MAY BE SOMETHING WRONG.

DETAILS:

I drove from my home in Minneapolis to a church in Rochester, MN and back -- exactly 180 miles total measured by the odometer (and Google maps).

My car was nearly fully charged when I left -- it showed 301 miles available. When I returned, it showed 26 miles available.

Outdoor temp when I left was 46F. On the return trip later that day it was 42°F.

Speed limit on perhaps 90% of the drive was 65 MPH and I maintained that constant speed, never going over except briefly to pass a truck. There was very little stop-and-go driving.

There were three adults in the car. The heater was on for less than thirty minutes total (to 66F).

I always anticipated getting less than the 322 possible maximum or, in this case, less than the 301 I started with. I thought I would get perhaps 250 actual miles. Instead I got (had I driven it to zero) about 190 - about two-thirds of what is advertised. I dread wondering what would have happened had I driven a reasonable 70 and had the heater on most of the trip

That seems like a problem.

Any thoughts / opinions / suggestions / reactions would be appreciated.

What thoughts / opinions / suggestions / reactions are you looking for which are not covered in the tons of posts on these topics already?

If it was 42 and you had the temp set to 66, how are you estimating that the heat was "only on for 30 minutes"? If its colder outside than the temperature is set to inside, then the heat will be on, unless you physically turned the system completely off... is that what you mean? I doubt you held the fan button and turned it completely off.

The battery was cold, and energy would have been spent to warm the battery as well as drive. We dont know if it was windy, rain, elevation changes, etc.

You had 3 adults in the car + luggage, most likely.

shrug... what "thoughts" are you looking for? People to tell you "oh yeah there is something definitely wrong, go take it to tesla" (who will basically run a remote diagnostic, tell you that nothing is wrong with your car and send you on your way)?

I realize that, to someone in Minnesota, 40s is no where near being "cold" but for your car and its battery it certainly is.

Last edited:
Payload + cold temps. As you own the car longer you will come to the realization that supercharging speed and availability makes range less important. You had enough to do your trip under pretty extreme circumstances, that's what matters. There's no bonus points for unused range.

EPA Rated mileage is usually assuming a mixture of city and freeway driving. Usually nothing over 55 mph.

Yours was only highway driving, during kinda cold weather.

Your were not fully charged when you began, so rated miles and actual miles might be quite different.

We do not know if you showed off to your friends the power of your car when passing, or used just enough to get the job done.

3 full sized adults can make some difference as well.

We do not know if some elevation was effecting your trip, the wind conditions, if the roads were dry...all sorts of things can effect range.

180 miles on odometer plus 26 miles remaining would give you total of 206, not 190.

Miles remaining might not have been absolute. Often car will travel some additional miles before reducing power.

In other words, one trip does not make a crisis. Too early to panic.

It is good that you are concerned, but many have found out just how different driving conditions effect range. If your trip computer notices that you are cutting things close, it will advise you on your display to reduce speed.

End result was that you made your trip there and back with plenty of juice remaining.

Believe, in your case, it was the mostly all 65 mph driving that reduced your range more than expected.

Reactions: Tman317 and Mr X
Thanks to all who replied.

And you are right...I ought to have spent more time viewing other posts before troubling people for their opinion.

For what it's worth, the geography is perfectly flat and the heating system was turned completely off. Body heat from the three passengers was enough to make it comfortable even though it was 42-46F outside.

Lastly, you are right...42-46F to a Minnesotan is not "cold". I guess we get used to it! (Zero is "cool" and we refer to minus 30F as "a bit nippy".)

Harlan

Try some simulations in ABRP. I punched in your location and data, and it predicts 278Wh/mile, and 66% SOC used, for your temperature and added weight, and speed. It's usually extremely accurate if you give it good inputs.

Not sure why your result is so poor. In Winter, on the highway here in Maine, 278Wh/mile is fairly typical. Were your tires pumped up? Was there snow on the road, raising rolling resistance? Was it windy? Did you stop at your destination for half a day with Sentry and/or Smart Summon on? All those things can increase your usage.

I was well aware that "your mileage will vary" due to speed, outdoor temp, etc., and that the 322 miles promised with a long-range, all-wheel-drive Model 3 would, especially in cold weather, be closer to 250 actual miles.

But I was terribly disappointed by my experience of my first long-ish trip in my long-range, all wheel drive Tesla Model 3.

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND IF MY CONCERNS ARE LEGIT OR WHETHER THERE MAY BE SOMETHING WRONG.

DETAILS:

I drove from my home in Minneapolis to a church in Rochester, MN and back -- exactly 180 miles total measured by the odometer (and Google maps).

My car was nearly fully charged when I left -- it showed 301 miles available. When I returned, it showed 26 miles available.

Outdoor temp when I left was 46F. On the return trip later that day it was 42°F.

Speed limit on perhaps 90% of the drive was 65 MPH and I maintained that constant speed, never going over except briefly to pass a truck. There was very little stop-and-go driving.

There were three adults in the car. The heater was on for less than thirty minutes total (to 66F).

I always anticipated getting less than the 322 possible maximum or, in this case, less than the 301 I started with. I thought I would get perhaps 250 actual miles. Instead I got (had I driven it to zero) about 190 - about two-thirds of what is advertised. I dread wondering what would have happened had I driven a reasonable 70 and had the heater on most of the trip

That seems like a problem.

Any thoughts / opinions / suggestions / reactions would be appreciated.

The real index is watt-hours per mile. Get competent in using the Energy tab on your road trips. This gives you an extremely accurate literally to the mile or so range prediction the. You can also check your consumption on any trip by brushing the bottom of the driver panel to the right. That's the part of the panel that contains the wiper control icon and also displays tire pressure. Tire pressure is on one side and energy consumption is on the other side of that scrollable panel. I do not think your energy consumption is wildly out of line. But I would check tire pressure. Range literally craters in the winter. In addition to that classic variable you also have significant extra load in your car and if your tire pressure is a little bit low that would easily explain your high consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Sounds like the added payload might have affected it along with any grade/elevation changes.
Elevation. That 325 quote is probably in a dyno or flat track.
How about this scenario. I went to big bear one time. Going downhill my estimated range actually went up instead of down because I regened due to the steep decline. I beat my estimated range by 4 dozen miles.

Reactions: P3D-R