Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve done this trip many times from LA to LV. Always charged at Baker on the way there and Yermo on the way back. I can probably make it to Prim on one charge at 100% if I really tried. Like others had mentioned, it is be very difficult to drive less than 65 mph on this trip.

Reactions: jsight
I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be appreciated. Thank.
I finally got delivery of my MYP a few months ago; My daughter and grandkids live in Chandler AZ, I live in Anaheim (360 miles) and was hoping I would make it on two stops 😬 Nope 😡 Three stops; Took two trips ( had to watch my speed🙁) and finally gave up and now I rather take my five year old Prius, one (10.5) tank and still have one bar left.

BTW there are no Tesla Superchargers in Mesa, Tempe, Chandler & Gilbert 🤬

I haven't been to the Barstow Tanger Way Superchargers but I've seen photos and read that there are also destination chargers (72 KW) there. Maybe the OP charged at the these instead of the actual V3 ones? Then the Superchargers by the Aryes Hotel are V2. These are shared and I've heard it's more like 50/50 lately.

I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

Range trades against speed (and in some locations, temperature, rain, and other factors).

Around town? 330 - 350 miles.

Highway 60 MPH? - 320 miles

Highway 75 MPH? - 280 miles

Highway 85 MPH? 240 miles

Adjusting driving pace to taste

Reactions: Pobre

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be a
An hour to charge in Barstow? Not likely. I drive from Vegas to Orange County, use the navigation, and it was a 15 minutes charge in Barstow (each way).

took the delivery of my new Tesla Model Y 2023, Long Range, Seven Seater, on March 27, 2023. With an installed capacity of 75KWH battery pack, and an EPA range of 326 miles.

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the current EV reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. Using the recommended practices will allow for some safety buffer and help maintain the rated cycle life of an EV battery pack. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical guidelines for EV charging at any public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveal that I must start heading towards a charger about every 150 miles. Therefore, the real world range, without trigging any serious "range anxiety" is about 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I can continue charging up to 80%, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again, every 5-7 days. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night.

I took the delivery of my new Tesla Model Y 2023, Long Range, Seven Seater, on March 27, 2023. With an installed capacity of 75KWH battery pack, and an EPA range of 326 miles.

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the current EV reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. Using the recommended practices will allow for some safety buffer and help maintain the rated cycle life of an EV battery pack. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical guidelines for EV charging at any public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveal that I must start heading towards a charger about every 150 miles. Therefore, the real world range, without trigging any serious "range anxiety" is about 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I generally charge up to 80% every 5-7 days, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night. However, if I was leaving Tesla at home and going for a long vacation, I would have to keep it tethered to my Wall Connector.

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the current EV reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. Using the recommended practices will allow for some safety buffer and help maintain the rated cycle life of an EV battery pack. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical guidelines for EV charging at any public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveal that I must start heading towards a charger about every 150 miles. Therefore, the real world range, without trigging any serious "range anxiety" is about 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I can continue charging up to 80%, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again, every 5-7 days. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night.

I took the delivery of my new Tesla Model Y 2023, Long Range, Seven Seater, on March 27, 2023. With an installed capacity of 75KWH battery pack, and an EPA range of 326 miles.

After reading through many resources and analyzing my driving history, the current EV reality is sinking in. I have come to realize that only about 60% of the battery capacity is normally usable, from 80% down to 20% SOC. Using the recommended practices will allow for some safety buffer and help maintain the rated cycle life of an EV battery pack. So, while on a long road trip, this provides me the most practical guidelines for EV charging at any public charging facility. At this rate, my driving dynamics reveal that I must start heading towards a charger about every 150 miles. Therefore, the real world range, without trigging any serious "range anxiety" is about 150 miles. However, at home, since my daily commute is only 20 miles, I generally charge up to 80% every 5-7 days, and let the SOC drop down to 40% before charging again. FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Connector at home. So, I believe, I don't need to charge or keep my Tesla plugged in every night. However, if I was leaving Tesla at home and going for a long vacation, I would have to keep it tethered to my Wall Connector.
You are not wrong, you don't need to plug in every evening. Maintain the battery state of charge (SOC) between 40% and 80% if that meets your needs. If you want to do everything possible to minimize battery degradation over the coming years then setting the charging limit to 60% and plugging in each evening with perhaps a 50% SOC would be a better strategy.

Set Sentry Mode to be off at your home location (especially if you park inside a home garage). Sentry mode causes the Tesla Model Y to remain in standby mode, uses a lot more power (almost 10X more) than when the Tesla Model Y enters sleep mode while parked.

For the first segment of a trip, it shouldn't be that bad. Charge to at least 90% and if it will let you skip a supercharger going to 100 is fine to. It really isn't a big deal to do this for trips.

Similarly, the 20% rule is just not to leave it at a low state of charge for extended periods. Go down to 10% if it is useful. It is pretty easy to do 200+ for a first segment doing it like this.

After the first segment, riding the charge curve well will likely mean ~100 miles between stops. That keeps the stops to ~15 minutes.

If you want to do everything possible to minimize battery degradation over the coming years then setting the charging limit to 60% and plugging in each evening with perhaps a 50% SOC would be a better strategy.

Set Sentry Mode to be off at your home location (especially if you park inside a home garage). Sentry mode causes the Tesla Model Y to remain in standby mode, uses a lot more power (almost 10X more) than when the Tesla Model Y enters sleep mode while parked.
Thanks for these great suggestions. These two suggestions can be very helpful in the long run.