Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

Range of Model Y LR

I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be appreciated. Thank.
I finally got delivery of my MYP a few months ago; My daughter and grandkids live in Chandler AZ, I live in Anaheim (360 miles) and was hoping I would make it on two stops 😬 Nope 😡 Three stops; Took two trips ( had to watch my speed🙁) and finally gave up and now I rather take my five year old Prius, one (10.5) tank and still have one bar left.

BTW there are no Tesla Superchargers in Mesa, Tempe, Chandler & Gilbert 🤬

I haven't been to the Barstow Tanger Way Superchargers but I've seen photos and read that there are also destination chargers (72 KW) there. Maybe the OP charged at the these instead of the actual V3 ones? Then the Superchargers by the Aryes Hotel are V2. These are shared and I've heard it's more like 50/50 lately.

I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be appreciated. Thank.

Range trades against speed (and in some locations, temperature, rain, and other factors).

Around town? 330 - 350 miles.

Highway 60 MPH? - 320 miles

Highway 75 MPH? - 280 miles

Highway 85 MPH? 240 miles

Adjusting driving pace to taste

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC