Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range of Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be appreciated. Thank.

Reactions: DanCar
I'm in Orange County and make the trip to Las Vegas every now and then. You'll discover quickly that the stated range and the mileage you get in reality is often off by 15-20%. The rated range is under ideal conditions and driving slowly; when we're driving on the 15 at 90MPH the range goes way down. Do you ever look at the efficiency you're getting? Look at the Trips info (in the car menu, or hold down the right steering wheel button and say "Show Trips") it shows you how many watt hours your car is using per mile. I think the rated range assumes you're somewhere down around 250 watt hours per mile (which is 1 kWh for every 4 miles). If your efficiency is worse, say 350 wH/mile then you will never reach the rated range.

I just plan for the charge on the way, but don't stop for the whole hour to get to full, just put in enough so you can make it to Vegas and charge at your hotel or a supercharger. Charging from 20% to 80% battery is fastest, any more than that and it slows down a lot. I like to charge in Yermo at EddieWorld. The bathrooms there are clean, the shop is fun to walk around. I stay at the Venetian and have had good luck getting one of the free ChargePoint chargers on the bottom (P4 level) of the parking garage, and if not then the Supercharger at the ferris wheel is fast. Good luck with your Y!

I love my 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range except for the range issue on trips. I have had it about six months. I am asking for your advise.

I live in the Los Angeles, CA, area. I have made two trips to Las Vegas starting at 100% charge. The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge. With my old gas-driven car, it only took 3/4 of a tank of gas. This is very frustrating. Refueling takes nearly one hour as opposed to a gas engine fill up that would take 10-15 minutes.

in addition, in spite of me using the screen navigation to direct me to the SuperCharger, only once has my Tesla said it was pre-warming the battery. And the SuperCharger in Barstow and Vegas only seem to have a max output of 72KW rather than the higher output advertised.

You just have to learn from experience to get how much you need to charge to get home.

For my conservative driving style, if I am 105 miles from home, I would charge an extra 100 miles and wouldn’t leave until the battery gauge says 205 miles.

The pre-warming is automatic and since you use the navigation, there is nothing else you can force it to do.

But I do agree that range is king: We need more range.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
The distance is 260 miles for me. The Y range is supposed to be 330 miles. Yet at Barstow, 105 miles from home, my fuel is at 46% meaning I am not likely able to make it on a single charge.
The EPA range is on flat surface, not like LA to Las Vegas !!!

LA to Las Vegas .jpg

I suggest scoping out the superchargers along your path. For instance: according to Tesla's info (tesla.com/findus) - the Barstow chargers on E. Main are 72kwh but the ones at Tanger Way (not far from the ones you stopped at) are 250kwh.

Also - check out A Better Route Planner. Often you'll discover a much better charging plan, vs the built-in charger suggestions in-car, like my example above, altering the SC location in Barstow. You can charge like 10-15 minutes at Tanger Way, another 10-15 minutes at Baker, and then arrive in Vegas with ~20%. And there are plenty of Superchargers in Vegas (some at 250kwh)

Also: just remember that, at 100%, you won't have regen for a while, so you're not getting the best efficiency. You can charge to 95% (or even 90%), then charge at Tanger Way - it'll only cost you an extra few minutes at most.

Last edited:
There is no need to charge to 100% before you start out from home to Las Vegas as 90% will be fine. Plan on stopping about every 2 hours at a Supercharger for a short charging session.

Select the first/next Supercharger location using the Navigation system as the destination and the Tesla Model Y will precondition (warm) the battery for fastest and most efficient Supercharging. Supercharging will be quickest if you cut off charging at no more than 80%. It takes too long to charge past 80%, better to continue your trip and stop as needed for a quick charging session.

Urban Superchargers are limited to 72kW so avoid these unless you are stopping for a longer stay or longer meal. V2 Superchargers can charge at up to 150kW; V3 currently can charge at up to 250kW. In real world use the difference between charging using V2 and V3 is ~10 minutes per session so if you are at or close to a V2 Supercharger with available charging spaces I would use the V2 instead of going further out of your way for a V3.

Any suggestion on range and pre-warming would be appreciated

1. There is virtually zero chance you are driving at EPA speed (which is liike 48 or 55MPH) when you are driving from LA to Las Vegas. You are likely driving 75+.

2. You are trying to "Fill up" which is not what you do when you are driving an EV on a trip.

3. You should be planning for a stop when you are down to about 20% or so of your range, and only charging up to about 55-60% which will be about a 15 minute stop, not an hour.

4. You are trying to "fill up" which is contributing to your slow supercharging speed.

For more than that, you can search "Range" in this subforum or the model 3 subforumm and likely find 100+ threads If you want to read more in depth than that.

Speed kills range, over 75 really seems to hurt bad. Use SuperChargers along your route as rest stops. But check them out first. If they are close to the interstate then popping IN/OUT for a 10 or 15-minute stop is easy, but some SCers are further away from the highway and maybe not be worth the time, and energy. Use A Better Route Planner to plan various routes before setting off.

I suggest scoping out the superchargers along your path. For instance: according to Tesla's info (tesla.com/findus) - the Barstow chargers on E. Main are 72kwh but the ones at Tanger Way (not far from the ones you stopped at) are 250kwh.

Also - check out A Better Route Planner. Often you'll discover a much better charging plan, vs the built-in charger suggestions in-car, like my example above, altering the SC location in Barstow. You can charge like 10-15 minutes at Tanger Way, another 10-15 minutes at Baker, and then arrive in Vegas with ~20%. And there are plenty of Superchargers in Vegas (some at 250kwh)

Also: just remember that, at 100%, you won't have regen for a while, so you're not getting the best efficiency. You can charge to 95% (or even 90%), then charge at Tanger Way - it'll only cost you an extra few minutes at most.
I always stop at the Barstow Super Charger at Tanger Way but I never get more than 72kwh at those station. 4 times and no more than 72kwh each time. It's right behind the outlet stores. The SuperCharges near close-by Aryes Hotel give me the same 72kwh output. If there is one on Main Street, I am unaware of it.

There may be some issue at Barstow, it is listed at 250kw on supercharge.info. I've never seen a SC that has limited the output, they usually just limit the % you charge to, i.e., 80% if it's a busy SC location. OTOH, if there are a lot of cars there, that can limit the output if you are sharing a cabinet. But that also should not be happening at Barstow, as it advertises 250 kw SC's which do not share stalls... So if you've NEVER gotten more than 72kw on your car, you may actually have an issue with the car itself.

When I road trip, I typically try to charge to 95% as that leaves me some regen, and I simply stop where the car tells me to stop. I may charge a little extra at my last stop, just to have a little buffer, but not usually more than 10% or whatever gets me home with somewhere between 15 - 20%. I set my cruise for 73, which is a good compromise for me between speed and efficiency.

An hour to charge in Barstow? Not likely. I drive from Vegas to Orange County, use the navigation, and it was a 15 minutes charge in Barstow (each way).

I've done this trip. I'd stop at Baker rather than Barstow when going east. It is a V2, but often not busy enough to need to share and you'll have a better soc when you get there. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to have enough to make the rest of the trip. You might even have enough to make Primm, depending on how fast you are going.

Going back, I'd probably do either yermo or the Tanger v3. I definitely got more than 72 kw at that Tanger v3.

Just get what you need and use l2 in Vegas if possible. You shouldn't need an hour in that part of the country.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm in Orange County and make the trip to Las Vegas every now and then. You'll discover quickly that the stated range and the mileage you get in reality is often off by 15-20%. The rated range is under ideal conditions and driving slowly; when we're driving on the 15 at 90MPH the range goes way down. Do you ever look at the efficiency you're getting? Look at the Trips info (in the car menu, or hold down the right steering wheel button and say "Show Trips") it shows you how many watt hours your car is using per mile. I think the rated range assumes you're somewhere down around 250 watt hours per mile (which is 1 kWh for every 4 miles). If your efficiency is worse, say 350 wH/mile then you will never reach the rated range.

I just plan for the charge on the way, but don't stop for the whole hour to get to full, just put in enough so you can make it to Vegas and charge at your hotel or a supercharger. Charging from 20% to 80% battery is fastest, any more than that and it slows down a lot. I like to charge in Yermo at EddieWorld. The bathrooms there are clean, the shop is fun to walk around. I stay at the Venetian and have had good luck getting one of the free ChargePoint chargers on the bottom (P4 level) of the parking garage, and if not then the Supercharger at the ferris wheel is fast. Good luck with your Y!
Thanks for the tips. Going down to 20% gives me range anxiety. Meaning will I make it or not?

Could be... Couldnt it also be the fact that it sounds like this OP is rolling into the supercharger at around 50% charge, based on what it sounds like they are saying (and spending 1 hour trying to "fill up")?
Perhaps, but I think even at 50%, at a 250kw SC, you'd still pull more than 72kWh, especially if the battery is warmed up.

Also - I should edit my earlier post a bit -

When I road trip, I typically try to charge to 95% as that leaves me some regen, and I simply stop where the car tells me to stop. I may charge a little extra at my last stop, just to have a little buffer, but not usually more than 10% or whatever gets me home with somewhere between 15 - 20%.

I meant to say that I charge to 95% prior to leaving for the trip. One on the road, I just charge to whatever level the car tells me to to get to the next SC. If it's a one-stop trip, I might charge a little longer to get a little more buffer for bopping around at my destination. Then, on the way home, I will add a little extra to get home between 15 - 20%, if the car estimates that I'll be home at less than that level. I've found the car estimation to be pretty accurate - within a percent or two. Of course, I am using % not miles as my range guide.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin