Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on dash rated in KM but on Nav its displayed as %

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range on dash rated in KM but on Nav its displayed as %..... am I missing something in the settings? I would like my nave to show me the same way its displayed in the car.... estimated KM remaining not %. As it is what is %, is it of my 90% charge or a 100% charge?

So true buddy. We are in Detroit MI at the moment using Nav to keep within super charger locations and while the % remaining at destination point is good, showing km remaining would definitely be the preferred and desired info!

We changed our Tesla to report % as that makes a lot more sense (at least to us) vs rated distance.
Reason : the majority of our long trips are in winter, and we never get near rated, not even close.

But, we can use % and use a multiple factor to get range (we are in Canada so use km).

Example : summer is % times 4, winter is % times 3, and if colder than -10C is % times 2.5

So, if you have 50% on an S85 you have 200 km range in summer, 150 km range in winter and 125 km in brutal cold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
We changed our Tesla to report % as that makes a lot more sense (at least to us) vs rated distance.
Reason : the majority of our long trips are in winter, and we never get near rated, not even close.

But, we can use % and use a multiple factor to get range (we are in Canada so use km).

Example : summer is % times 4, winter is % times 3, and if colder than -10C is % times 2.5

So, if you have 50% on an S85 you have 200 km range in summer, 150 km range in winter and 125 km in brutal cold.

While I get what you are doing and I do think it's a more realistic way of getting real range.
I guess I was thinking that it could be changed.

Multiplying % to get km seems a good idea, although your factors seem too low. Maybe just to be on the safe side?

At -10°C I can get about 350 km if the rated range figure doesn't go above 220 km, which it rarely does. Your figures indicate that you lose 37.5% in -10°, which I've not noticed in two winters, even at temperatures lower than that.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
My experience with a (currently reported) rated range 417 @ 100% SOC (was 425 new) 2013 S85 in cold weather conditions is that long steady highway driving with "range mode on" and keeping to the speed limit can result in longer than 300 km total range.

However, if you drive 20% over the limit, or park the car for some hours during the day without range mode enabled, this will use up range and therefore 250 km is a conservative estimate.

My direct experience with driving (passing lane highway speeds) 250 km in -10C in two 125 km trip segments separated by a 6 hour stay in between results in arriving home with 10% SOC when starting with 100% SOC. So 275 km is possible in such conditions using the entire range of the car.

Driving with less than 10% SOC in cold weather (-10C) results in the yellow dotted line on the dash gauge shows reduced power and regeneration. In such conditions, I reduce my throttle inputs as I have read stories where heavy throttle inputs with the yellow dotted line can result in the car shutting down before reaching 0% (best guess on that thread was this condition was due to the stress on any particular battery cell group at lower voltage).

Final note, I always maintain cabin temperature regardless of conditions, the best way to reduce power is to just slow down, I never compromise comfort for the sake of range.