Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on Long Road Trips

Do you experience any buyer's remorse with your tesla purchase due to take issues?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I love my Y. I am sure Tesla fans will give me grief about this post, but here it goes.

I am writing this as I am in the midst of a long "ski bum" road trip that started in Orlando, FL and will hit Breckenridge, Vail, Jackson Hole, Park City, Wolf Creek, and Crested Butte before heading back. I am writing this as a means to help some avoid "buyers remorse" with respect to battery range. This drive covers a variety of terrain in mostly cold climates through long stretches with minimal inhabitants. This also means that charging stations can be few and far between.

I will start with the fact that I am sitting in Rock Springs, WY having had an unscheduled stop half way from Ft Collins, Co because I would not have made the range the car told me, or even come close. Even with an extra stop, I reached 4% charge. When I put this stop in navigation at the last stop, the car predicted I would have over 25% range at this stop. My next stop is Jackson, WY. It's a long stretch that I am not fully confident I will make though not making it is not an option.

For the prospective Tesla buyer, like you, I have watched the Tesla advertised ranges extend year over year, and model over model. When the Y reached 324 mile range, and my old car reached 130k miles, I made the plunge and bought the Y. My measure for range was to be able to reach my parents in Hilton Head, SC from home in Orlando on one charge. I learned on my first trip, that was not going to be possible; however, I am retired, so I adjusted my expectations and learned patience in my old age (62). But this trip took my expectations adjustments to another level entirely.

Out West, speed limits are 70 to 80 mph. You will not be able to go the speed limit in many/most cases. This will become less a source of anxiety as super charging stations proliferate. But, unless you want to stop every 150 miles for a charge, you will not be able to use the car's full capabilities to go fast in places with high speed limits. It's like hitching a race horse to a cart of rocks. If you ever see a Tesla going at or below speed limits, you can bet the driver is trying to stretch the range.

Adding just a bit of insult to this problem, the car will tell you when you connect to charge at 4% that for the sake of the life of the battery, you should not let the battery be drained to that level. It will also tell you that you should not routinely charge to over 90% or more for the sake of the battery. Believe me, I would like to avoid doing so, but on more than a couple of occasions, between the car and the paucity of charging stations, I don't have a choice!

Finally, given the technology Tesla is developing for fsd, do not assume that Tesla can predict your range with much accuracy at the time of completing a charge. Also, Tesla is not good at predicting the time needed to charge especially as it closes in on the desired range you set when starting the charge.

There, that feels better.

My expectations were changed with a couple of 1500 mile trips as well, but the good thing is where I live (west coast), there are no shortages of superchargers. I actually come to welcome the more frequent stops (about 2 - 2.5 hours in between each charge).

I have a different perspective on my longer trips now, less prioritizing how quickly I get to the destination and more about how comfortably I can get there.

I highly recommend ABRP (a better route planner) for your navigational needs.
You can put everything in there, like wind, temperature and car weight. I use ABRP as a preplanning tool, and put the SuCs ABRP recommends in the car Nav.
works like a charm.
The EPA range test is performed indoors on a dyno with temperatures in the high 60s, you’ll come nowhere near that number in neither EVs or ICE vehicles during winter.
How Does The EPA Calculate Electric Car Range?
Abetterrouteplanner.com

...So many first time posters complaining about their problems. Surely it's not FUD, right?

- 70-80 mph in midwest winter and the Rockies. Sure. Everyone does that all the time. o_O
- Difficulty finding Superchargers off freeways? Right... :rolleyes: (Actually having to fill a car with gas or electrons when it's empty is an insult!)
- Autopilot not working well on freeways? Right... :rolleyes:

Sandy Munro is on a longish trip out west. No such problems from him.

Reactions: cstork and Ciaopec
Don't try to skip Superchargers in the winter. Doing so will only increase your charging times and anxiety level. The fastest way to get somewhere is to charge up enough to make it to the next Supercharger. Ideal Supercharger stops are about 110 miles apart... anything more than that, while possible, is stretching it and adding time.

My rule of thumb is a 30-50% reduction in range in the winter. 30% on the low end if you have dry conditions and the wind isn't against you. 50% if it's really cold, snowing or you have a head wind. If I know I'm going to be facing adverse weather, I'll charge up enough that the computer estimates arriving at the next charger with 30% remaining. This is usually sufficient to make it without having to slow down (I usually go 10% over the limit).

We have nearly 100,000 miles on our car with no major issues. We've only had range anxiety a handful of times due to not checking the weather before leaving a Supercharger. Being uninformed about travel conditions is risky business in any car, more so in an EV due to limited charging options. Be prepared.

First, I love my Y. I am sure Tesla fans will give me grief about this post, but here it goes.

I will start with the fact that I am sitting in Rock Springs, WY having had an unscheduled stop half way from Ft Collins, Co because I would not have made the range the car told me, or even come cse. Even with an extra stop, I reached 4% charge. When I put this stop in navigation at the last stop, the car predicted I would have over 25% range at this stop. My next stop is Jackson, WY. It's a long stretch that I am not fully confident I will make though not making it is not an option.
Just FYI, there is a Tesla destination charger halfway in Pinedale, at Wind River Brewing. I found that with a quick search on Plugshare. You do sometimes have to use other apps, like Plugshare or A Better Route Planner, to find charging options. It's an accommodation we have to occasionally make when off the beaten track.

So, I spent a little bit of time plugging in numbers to ABRP based on my experience with the Model Y and your start/end locations. It says that leaving Ft Collins, CO with 90% would get you to the Rawlins supercharger with 12% and should charge to 67%. It then says you should go to the Rock Springs supercharger and get there with 10% and should then charge to at least 91% to make it to Jackson, WY with 10% remaining. I have not tried the in car planner for this trip, but Tesla's online trip planner also estimates that this trip will require two stops.

I'm not sure how you could say that one was unplanned?

Adding just a bit of insult to this problem, the car will tell you when you connect to charge at 4% that for the sake of the life of the battery, you should not let the battery be drained to that level.

I think that you may be misunderstanding this warning. The issue isn't getting to 4%, it is leaving it after that without charging it. Going to 4% and then plugging in is fine. Charging to 100% for a trip is generally considered fine, but IMO should be weighed against the benefit. In some cases it can get you to a destination without charging, in others it might save you less than 7 minutes at a supercharger and may not even be worth it.

This line also confuses me:

My measure for range was to be able to reach my parents in Hilton Head, SC from home in Orlando on one charge. I learned on my first trip, that was not going to be possible;

That trip is only ~320 miles. While it may be quicker to stop twice, it should be possible to do a one stop if you do not mind a slightly longer charging session. Granted, I'm assuming speeds of ~75. Go up to ~85 and two stops is the only way.

Reactions: Tedkidd
unless you want to stop every 150 miles for a charge
Winter in the mountains with high sped limits - don't skip superchargers. Rock Springs to Jackson is pushing it a bit at 177 miles - most supercharger connections are closer than that. For those longer legs drive the speed limit until you know you're good and use plugshare to have a backup plan.

When my wife was a kid their family used to drive from Minneapolis to Big Sky Montana every winter for a ski trip - this was late 70's early 80's. Her father had to meticulously plan the drive and where he could refuel, their station wagon didn't get good mileage. He said he had to stick close to the 55mph speed limit and always get gas in Glendive. One of his early drives he carried extra gas with him. Today this is not an issue - gas cars have better range and there are more gas stations available. Today's EV situation in the sparsely populated Northern plain states reminds me of his stories of planning those ski trips. A generation from now you will have amusing stories.

I've had to adjust my driving style now that I have my LR AWD Y.
In the past, I'd go 400-500 miles between stops.
As I got older, getting out of my car after 400-500 miles was a bit more difficult. Very stiff.
With my Y, yes I am "forced" to stop every 2 or 2.5 hours (120-150 miles).
This is actually quite nice as I get to stretch for 20 minutes.
Pre (and hopefully post) pandemic, got to talk with the other Tesla owners which was another bonus.
Most are just as crazy as you are, judging from the car that they drive.
The puppies like it as well. Lots of new spots for them to sniff.
Plus the last 20+ miles is not spent wiggling on the seat thinking I shouldn't have had that large coffee.
Relax, take it easy, enjoy the drive. It is difficult having to reprogram yourself but reduce the stress and enjoy life.
Let's face it, you get to drive one of the best EVs on the market and go skiing as well. Life is pretty good.

I'm picking up my Y this Saturday so...I don't have any skin in this game, but I got into a debate with a friend about the feasibility of road tripping a Tesla. Friend would argue "well, I drive from Austin to Dallas in one shot.... you can't do that with a Tesla". I kind of feel like we're comparing apples and oranges because I don't really prefer driving much more than 2-2.5 hours at a time without stopping. I have kids so the inevitable potty break is always going to force us to stop.

I think there's plenty feasibility road tripping with a Tesla but some things are different. There's still compromises... you can't have your cake and eat it too. Stop often. Charge up. TAKE A BREATH AND ENJOY THE JOURNEY. If you're trying to race to your destination... maybe a Tesla isn't for you.

What bothers me most is Tesla milage figures are unachievable no matter how hard you try. Yet other companies are? Here is a good example of the new Mustang which they were able to achieve 34miles OVER the rated range. Looking at real world driving, the Mustang goes farther than a Y yet is rated to go less.

Here is a tidbit from Edmunds car test.

Tesla continues to be a range leader in virtually every EV segment. Owners also benefit from Tesla's exclusive Supercharger network, which is currently the most hassle-free network for fast charging. The Model Y has an EPA-estimated range between 244 miles and 326 miles.

However, Edmunds conducts its own real-world range testing on EVs and has found that Teslas, in most cases, don't achieve their range estimates. For example, a 2020 Model Y Performance that Edmunds tested had an EPA-estimated range of 291 miles but Edmunds managed only 263 miles.

Ford's Mustang Mach-E's EPA estimates range from 211 miles to 300 miles. Edmunds' real-world range test of an all-wheel-drive Mach-E, with an EPA-estimated range of 270 miles, resulted in an impressive 304 miles.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
What bothers me most is Tesla milage figures are unachievable no matter how hard you try. Yet other companies are? Here is a good example of the new Mustang which they were able to achieve 34miles OVER the rated range. Looking at real world driving, the Mustang goes farther than a Y yet is rated to go less.

Tesla continues to be a range leader in virtually every EV segment. Owners also benefit from Tesla's exclusive Supercharger network, which is currently the most hassle-free network for fast charging. The Model Y has an EPA-estimated range between 244 miles and 326 miles.

However, Edmunds conducts its own real-world range testing on EVs and has found that Teslas, in most cases, don't achieve their range estimates. For example, a 2020 Model Y Performance that Edmunds tested had an EPA-estimated range of 291 miles but Edmunds managed only 263 miles.

Ford's Mustang Mach-E's EPA estimates range from 211 miles to 300 miles. Edmunds' real-world range test of an all-wheel-drive Mach-E, with an EPA-estimated range of 270 miles, resulted in an impressive 304 miles.

That differs a bit from what Ive been reading on the Mach E forum that contains real world current driving experiences...and reality on range in the Mach E..

To the OP: Also, in addition to the advice given above, its fine to charge to 100% regularly at an SC for road trips. Its suggested that you may not WANT to, because the last 10-20% of charging takes MUCH longer than the first 10-20% of charging. A fuller battery pack takes longer to accept the charge. True with any EV not just Tesla.

Also, its recommended to not charge to 100% and leave it full like that for extended periods of time. Not good for the battery. And you can let the pack go down to below 10%..thats fine. Again, just not good for the pack to do it regularly. On looooong trips like you did, in addition to mapping out (in case of emergency) destination chargers, third party charging stations, trailer parks (which often have 14-50 plugs for 240volt charging in a dire emergency), and actual Tesla Service Centers (They will always help you out with charging in a pinch during a trip), use the ABRP planner as recommended above. (You'd want to buy the Nema 14-50 plug adapter from Tesla in advance and have with you, obviously)

Also, in very cold temps, setting your cabin temp to 68 or less and relying more on heated seats can also preserve precious electricty.

Have to think outside the box a bit if you plan on those cross country trips and plan to drive at 70mph+ speeds on those trips

Last edited:
First, it is important to note that the range estimates are not provided by Tesla but are provided by the EPA which has it's own testing methodology which may or may not be related to real world situations. It's really no different than their MPG ratings which are rarely achieved even in ICE cars which supposedly they can predict more accurately.

Second, once you understand that, most experienced Tesla owners don't leave their display on distance but on energy instead since the battery percentage is a far more accurate picture of what is going on.

Finally, use the energy screens to actually determine how you are doing. The consumption screen is helpful and will give you a much more accurate projection of the range you are getting based on your current driving conditions but on any long trip, the trip consumption screen is my bible. It all depends on how you drive. In my Model Y LR, you need to achieve about 234 wh/mile to hit the EPA rated range. Since I've owned the car (last June) I average about 254 wh/mile overall and 270 wh/mile here in the PA winters.

I travel from PA to Austin, TX on a regular basis. I have never had a moment of range anxiety on these trips because I took the time to understand how these things work. I reduce my charging times by following the 80-20 rule. I don't charge until I am below a 20% SOC and I don't charge beyond 80%. This allows you to spend the least amount of time charging. At a V3 supercharger, it will take about 20 minutes to go from 10% to 80%. It will take another 25 minutes to go from 80% to 97% so use your time wisely. As far as range is concerned, the only factor that you really have control over is your speed. For every 10 mph reduction in speed, you will add about 35 miles of range to the car at 68 degrees. That will vary based on outside temperature.

So, put the display on percentage, turn FSD on and relax and enjoy your ride! As a final charging tip, be sure to set your next supercharger as your destination at least 20 miles before you get there so the car can pre-condition the battery for supercharging before you arrive.

I'm not sure what to make of that, tbh. That real world range for the Y performance seems optimistic to me for highway use. But that range for the Mach-E is also really optimistic compared to what I'm seeing in the forums for them?

I'd also add that I'm not so sure about Y numbers being unachievable. I've done some local trips that stayed under the rated consumption figures, and I'd bet it'd be possible to beat the estimate by 20-30 miles at lower speeds in good weather.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Same thing applies to your race horse analogy. If you ride your race horse slowly down the path, it will give you hours of transportation, but if you are running it on a race track it will only last a couple miles.

Range simply goes down with speed, cold weather and headwinds.

Drivers can extend their range by simply slowing down. You can have great range or great speed...but not both at the same time.

That's less than 200 miles, flat, and most of the time not very cold in Texas. Of course you can do that in one shot.
Sorry, I should clarify that he was arguing he'd drive up in one shot, pick something up and drive back in one shot.

Also, I'm in San Antonio, so I have another 60+ miles each way. I'm not terribly concerned with stopping in Waco to charge up. It's like a 4ish hour drive for me and could benefit from a leg stretch in Waco anyway.

Reactions: Johnny Vector