Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah sadly my car is not even a year old but i do have 18,302 miles on it as of right now. My home to work round trip is similar to yours at around 65 miles. We are planning a weekend day trip to New York state from CT so the battery will be down in the low teens at our destination so a supercharging session will be in order. Whats interesting for my car is i have never run the car battery below 20% since owning it.

was trying to drive down my car below 20% and do the 20%-100% the second time yesterday. The 100% of my MR was around 404km. I also updated the software to 2019.32.2.2in yesterday before the scheduled charge start. After the charge completed at 7am today, its still sitting at 404km@100%. But one interesting observation was that after the software update finished, the estimated 100% range of my car was fluctuating between 396km-400km. So after the 100% charge, it went up to 404km. I am not sure if it is still considered an improvement. So basically in the same day, the car was rated at 404km before the update. After the update, it was rated at 396km. Then I recharged the car from 20% to 100%, it went back to 404km.

My car got the newest update last night to 2019.32.2.2 so i figured i would see if charging back to 100% gave me my missing battery range.. "

I lost 9 miles after upgrading to 32.2.2. Someone else reported something similar and they reported that rebooting helped so I rebooted and will charge tonight to see if anything changes.

Attachments

• 3AC11DFB-925F-49F2-A6E3-9961381C6532.jpeg
    3AC11DFB-925F-49F2-A6E3-9961381C6532.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 105
Sitting at 236 at 17,000 miles. If it keeps trending down, I guess i'll try contacting the service center.

Haven't received any notifications saying the charging system is faulty, but my experience has been pretty similar to other posts in this thread. Early December 2018 LEMR.

Attachments

• deg.PNG
    deg.PNG
    23.2 KB · Views: 62
I lost 9 miles after upgrading to 32.2.2. Someone else reported something similar and they reported that rebooting helped so I rebooted and will charge tonight to see if anything changes.

It's hard to take your name seriously :D, but seriously, I tried the reboot sequence, i.e., steering wheel nipples, then turn it off on the display, wait 3 or 4 minutes then turn it all back on, which did nothing. Then I tried the cycling down to 10% then up to a full charge, again, nothing. My full charge is 233 out of 240 miles and I just turned over 1600 miles, so it's not a mileage issue either. All this since I got 32.2.2. I generally charge to 90% daily, except for the aforenoted dubious cycling effort.

Just an update. Actually after my 2nd 20-100% charging, the next day, the range went up a notch from 405km to 410km. So I think the 20-100% trick works.

I think they key to a more accurate reading is utilizing a large range of the battery (though I know this counters some other users' experience). I’ve been playing with my charging habits the last couple of weeks, as well as took my first road trip this weekend, and my estimate is creeping back up slightly:

Attachments

• 9C9A5544-5607-4192-B036-059188739C74.jpeg
    9C9A5544-5607-4192-B036-059188739C74.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 60
I think they key to a more accurate reading is utilizing a large range of the battery (though I know this counters some other users' experience). I’ve been playing with my charging habits the last couple of weeks, as well as took my first road trip this weekend, and my estimate is creeping back up slightly:
did u also do any 20-100% charge? Or just used the battery deeper more frequently?

did u also do any 20-100% charge? Or just used the battery deeper more frequently?

No, I've not done a full charge. I've just played around with my set SOC. I typically only use about 15-25% on a given day, once a week maybe use 50%. So, I've been charging to 65% most days to utilize the lower range a bit, and on Fridays doing 85%. This weekend we drove it down in the 30s a couple times and down to 25% once, but typically weren't charging higher than about 80-85%.

(Previously I was just always charging to 80% or 85%)

You're not restoring anything real. You are just restoring an estimate on the screen :)

Yeah, tell that to my wife who last weekend at around 10PM frantically searched the southbay area of California for a f'ing supercharger so she could get home because the range didn't show enough miles to get her home. If it's not real, then Tesla should remove the damn mileage note from their order placement screen or caveat it by clarifying that it's not really 240 miles, it's just a con job, so you'll buy our vehicles.

range.PNG

If it's not real, then Tesla should remove the damn mileage note from their order placement screen or caveat it by clarifying that it's not really 240 miles, it's just a con job, so you'll buy our vehicles.

It is real if you are driving the EPA 5-cycle test which is what the number is based on. If you don't like how the range is calculated and reported you should lobby to get the EPA to change the rules/standard to make it more realistic.

Yeah, tell that to my wife who last weekend at around 10PM frantically searched the southbay area of California for a f'ing supercharger so she could get home because the range didn't show enough miles to get her home.
My full charge is 233 out of 240 miles

Honestly, if your car says it can't make it home, another 7 mi isn't going to make it any less tight. Driving habits, traffic, hills, weather can all make much more than a 7 mi (<3%) difference in battery consumption.

What @MP3Mike said is true... just like an ICE car, it's based on the EPA-rated milage. For example, if you had to drive 30mi in an ICE car rated at 30 mpg, you would never put just 1 gallon in it and think you're ok. You should think of the range display the same as you do as the window-sticker miles per gallon in an ICE car. Sure, meet the window sticker with just the right conditions at 55 mph, but it's unlikely you're going to get that milage for every gallon of every tank

It's hard to take your name seriously :D, but seriously, I tried the reboot sequence, i.e., steering wheel nipples, then turn it off on the display, wait 3 or 4 minutes then turn it all back on, which did nothing. Then I tried the cycling down to 10% then up to a full charge, again, nothing. My full charge is 233 out of 240 miles and I just turned over 1600 miles, so it's not a mileage issue either. All this since I got 32.2.2. I generally charge to 90% daily, except for the aforenoted dubious cycling effort.

I like your screen name. I’ve read about a lot of people that “lost” estimated rated range with this release.

Yeah, tell that to my wife who last weekend at around 10PM frantically searched the southbay area of California for a f'ing supercharger so she could get home because the range didn't show enough miles to get her home. If it's not real, then Tesla should remove the damn mileage note from their order placement screen or caveat it by clarifying that it's not really 240 miles, it's just a con job, so you'll buy our vehicles.

View attachment 461129

Hey if you go all downhill you can drive 2400 miles on one charge too. It's not a con job, it's an EPA *ESTIMATE*. Not all miles are equal.
Uphill miles cost more than downhill miles. Slow miles are cheaper than fast miles. Etcetera, etc.

What @MP3Mike said is true... just like an ICE car, it's based on the EPA-rated milage. For example, if you had to drive 30mi in an ICE car rated at 30 mpg, you would never put just 1 gallon in it and think you're ok. You should think of the range display the same as you do as the window-sticker miles per gallon in an ICE car. Sure, meet the window sticker with just the right conditions at 55 mph, but it's unlikely you're going to get that milage for every gallon of every tank

agreed as a matter of fact my ICE car would not show miles remaing past 30( even though I'm sure it could)

View attachment 461129

2 things you and/or your wife might not know ...
1. If you use the nav to get home, it shows you how short you will be, and will route you to a supercharger to make the trip.
2. If you still want to look for a supercharger "on your own", if you tap the map, then tap the lightning bolt icon at the lower right corner all the superchargers and their in-use status pops up on the map, you can tap on one, tap navigate, and the car will route you to the one you chose, and precondition your battery for faster charging if necessary.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: house9 and Rocky_H