Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on my LR AWD seems low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 LR AWD yesterday and charged it up at home. The service centre had set the charge limit to 90%. I noticed that when it had stopped charging at 90%, the range indicated 287 miles. The range for my car on the Tesla site states 348 miles so taking that as the 100% range, shouldn't 90% charge be 313 miles?

Complication of method used to convert percentage or KWh to miles.

In North America, EPA range is used, which is actually achievable in some viable driving scenarios. That's where the 310 miles comes from.

In Europe, all the EV companies use a higher mythical method, which is where the 348 miles comes from (556 km).
But since the OP was in the UK, they are correct to wonder relative to the 348, not the 310.

And yes, 90% on a brand new LR AWD in Europe should should around 313 miles (500 km), so that's a concern.

Where does it say 310 mile range? As fumusic said the official Tesla website lists the cars range as 348 miles. I’m waiting on mine and based my decision on a few things but the deciding factor was the range!

In the car it shows epa range. 310 epa is 348 wltp. EPA is achievable and wltp only in certain circumstances ie low speed and good weather.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Mine is similar - averages around or just below 310m on 100%. I assume this is based on actual driving now after 2.5k miles (it was 320 odd when I first picked up the car). I probably could get closer to 350m if I drove constantly at 60mph or less, but happy with this.

Mine is similar - averages around or just below 310m on 100%. I assume this is based on actual driving now after 2.5k miles (it was 320 odd when I first picked up the car). I probably could get closer to 350m if I drove constantly at 60mph or less, but happy with this.

People have said it doesn’t change based on driving and the driving estimate is under the energy tab which seems correct.

Reactions: TestPilot
As above - 100% do that.

Change the miles to % - It removes the range anxiety from the equation.

Two things I learned in my 1st week owning my SR+ it:

Don't use Teslafi and change miles to % battery.

Teslafi is super detailed and I thought it would be right up my street - it's a cracking piece of work, don;t get me wrong - however, I found myself analysing each trip in detail thinking about I could have been more efficient and I could have done this and that, and why am I only getting this mileage etc.

Similarly with the mileage in the top right corner - change it to battery as I was watch it dropping and thinking - I've only done 30 miles and it gone down my 35 miles etc......

Just drive the car - enjoy it, stop worrying about mileage/range etc.

Outside temp/heating/tyre pressure/battery state/heated seats/spotify/luggage/wind/uphill/downhill - all of these factors and more make each and every journey/car different.

Reactions: Palros
My LR AWD usually shows a range of 279 miles on 90%, and 308 on 100%.

I understand what you’re saying about displaying percentage not miles, but personally I prefer the miles display. It makes it easier for me to see at a glance if I’ve got enough range for a particular journey.

the deciding factor was the range!

Recommend you try your "out of range" journeys in A Better Route Planner - you can apply "bad weather factor", or "I speed a bit" ... or "I speed a lot" :rolleyes: and it will show journey time, where you would have to stop, and for how long etc.

In real world you are likely to get held up by traffic / roadworks, which increases the range, so unless you go like the wind, or have atrocious weather, you are very likely to do better than ABRP predicts

Slowing down makes a huge difference, so on a journey that becomes touch-and-go for some reason (e.g. unexpected diversion) that should be enough to get you there.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Sentry seems to have contributed to 8 miles overnight range loss. That may become a problem when we are staying away when we will want range and sentry for a couple of weeks.
I find sentry mode uses roughly 1 mile per hour of use, so roughly 25 miles a day. That means it’s pretty useless if, say, you’re parking at an airport for two weeks or longer, unless you don’t mind returning to a flat battery!

It would be good if Tesla could further optimise sentry mode power draw. Having said that it is far, far more advanced than anything I’ve had on a previous car!

I understand what you’re saying about displaying percentage not miles, but personally I prefer the miles display. It makes it easier for me to see at a glance if I’ve got enough range for a particular journey.

So you are in the UK and seeing EPA miles not WLTP miles? Very interesting.

Is there a setting we can't see in the States to choose which range setting to use?

I agree. When I picked my M3 up yesterday it was showing range %. That figure didn’t really help me understand how far I could,or couldn’t, go before recharging so I instantly switched it to miles. It’s just easier to understand in my opinion. Clearly the number will decline based on driving style and conditions as much as actual mileage but it’s still, surely, an easier indicator of how much range you have to play with?