Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range opinions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking for your thoughts on a range issue.

I did a drive of 105 miles on Tuesday, with four people in the car (2020 M3P). The drive was a mix of dual carriageway and single carriageway roads, with a few miles of M1. I didn't exceed the speed limits and much of the time sat at around 60 - 65 mph. The weather was atrocious on the outward journey, with rain most of the time. The return journey (same route) was in the dry, but dark. Climate was on auto, set at 19 degrees C.

I started the journey at 100% battery and ended it at 42%. I thought that was on the poor side. What do you think?

I think that's not great. In my model Y (albeit a different battery technology and less aerodynamic) I do a similar journey of ~140 miles with a percentage drop from 90% to 45%. I do find that elevation plays a large part.

I did a drive of 105 miles on Tuesday, with four people in the car (2020 M3P). The drive was a mix of dual carriageway and single carriageway roads, with a few miles of M1. I didn't exceed the speed limits and much of the time sat at around 60 - 65 mph. The weather was atrocious on the outward journey, with rain most of the time. The return journey (same route) was in the dry, but dark. Climate was on auto, set at 19 degrees C.

I started the journey at 100% battery and ended it at 42%. I thought that was on the poor side. What do you think?

I would say it is what it is. The key outcome is that you returned with loads of charge left in the battery so "no sweat". Atrocious weather with wind and rain can make a huge difference to range. I'm sure you have had enough trips in other conditions to know what your car is capable of. I'm guessing this trip wasn't typical.

I would say it is what it is. The key outcome is that you returned with loads of charge left in the battery so "no sweat". Atrocious weather with wind and rain can make a huge difference to range. I'm sure you have had enough trips in other conditions to know what your car is capable of. I'm guessing this trip wasn't typical.
No, not very typical, you're right. I rarely carry more than one passenger for a start. I think I underestimate the draining effect of bad weather also. Being retired, much of my driving is in decent weather. As you rightly point out, there was plenty "in the tank" when I got home, so nothing to worry about!

No, not very typical, you're right. I rarely carry more than one passenger for a start. I think I underestimate the draining effect of bad weather also. Being retired, much of my driving is in decent weather. As you rightly point out, there was plenty "in the tank" when I got home, so nothing to worry about!
I don't think carrying the extra passengers makes much difference. I also don't often drive with more than "2 up" but a recent drive with 5 onboard wasn't a noticeable issue.

Is your 2020 M3P a heat pump one or not? That really does make a big difference it seems. The P is more thirsty than an LR, but with the poor weather a PTC heater vs a heat pump will impact the energy used a fair bit. Given it was two separate journeys it will have used some re-heating the car for your return too, so different to single journey of 105 miles. Another thing worth checking, but are your tyre pressures correct, they can drop with the colder weather and rolling resistance impacts energy use too.

Is your 2020 M3P a heat pump one or not? That really does make a big difference it seems. The P is more thirsty than an LR, but with the poor weather a PTC heater vs a heat pump will impact the energy used a fair bit. Given it was two separate journeys it will have used some re-heating the car for your return too, so different to single journey of 105 miles. Another thing worth checking, but are your tyre pressures correct, they can drop with the colder weather and rolling resistance impacts energy use too.
No, it isn't a heat pump model and I did wonder how much better the heat pump would have been in this instance. The car would have cooled down completely for the return journey as it was parked up for some six and a half hours between drives. Tyre pressures are all around 42 psi. I should have checked the energy app to see how much the climate impacted but didn't think at the time!

Reactions: Burley

Exactly in line with my experience. I never get more than 1%=2 miles in a 2020 M3P, driving it like … er… a car on motorways (usually sit at 75-77).
I did exactly 100 miles today from Hopwood Park home, and used 49.7%

Reactions: thax1 and G4WFT
No, it isn't a heat pump model and I did wonder how much better the heat pump would have been in this instance. The car would have cooled down completely for the return journey as it was parked up for some six and a half hours between drives. Tyre pressures are all around 42 psi. I should have checked the energy app to see how much the climate impacted but didn't think at the time!
I'm sure the heat pump does make a big difference, it'd be interesting to see how much energy the HVAC is using in the colder weather. I've done 25k miles in our LR now going into our second winter with it. I've averaged 248 wh/m as lifetime energy use.

I'm sure the heat pump does make a big difference, it'd be interesting to see how much energy the HVAC is using in the colder weather. I've done 25k miles in our LR now going into our second winter with it. I've averaged 248 wh/m as lifetime energy use.
248? 😬
5F697A41-E82F-4BDA-BEBE-C1A16D0240E9.jpeg

I wasn't feeling doubted, just thought it would be a useful comparison. Mine's a mixture of urban and long motorway hauls. The 2.1k mile trip was to southern France and back to Leeds, so that 247wh/m includes a fair whack at 130kmh on autoroutes too. Its surprisingly efficient...

I wasn't feeling doubted, just thought it would be a useful comparison. Mine's a mixture of urban and long motorway hauls. The 2.1k mile trip was to southern France and back to Leeds, so that 247wh/m includes a fair whack at 130kmh on autoroutes too. Its surprisingly efficient...
Your figures are really impressive - I’ve always taken those with an pinch of salt when they come from someone who does 1800 miles a year - and would remove the one thing, beyond the wipers,TACC, incessant bonging, that really spoils it for me: the awful range.
Be really interesting to see long term figures for someone with LR and acceleration boost (assuming you don’t have it?)