TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range or Percentage...a Simple Poll

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Jun 12, 2018.

?

How do you roll?

1. I prefer showing range.

209 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. I prefer showing percentage

149 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. SDRick

SDRick Member

Since we cannot choose both range and percentage I thought I would ask. Curious as to the preference of TMC Tesla folks.

• Like x 1
  2. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

I want to use percentage. I respect those that use percentage. But I keep switching it back to range.

• Like x 5
  3. Charliek

Charliek Member

I used mileage for a while and found the jump in miles when driving the car a bit disconcerting epsepciall in the winter with the heat on. plus you run the car down pretty far in the battery if you are one to “go to e” in an ice car seeing the miles left . I found , like my phone, Iwas more consistent going down to just under 20% then charging vice going down to 20 miles . If I saw 50 miles it seems like a lot left when it really isn’t ,(especially in the winter)The yellow and red notation at 19percent and 10percent Work for me to remind me to charge . I generally don’t charge every day as I like to run a couple of day between charges on my regular commute days . I gotta say having the nav on road trips be so accurate as it is is really nice in percent or miles. Now I just leave it in percent

• Like x 1
  4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Range for sure, personally I think its a lot more of a relatable number than percentage. If I had it on percentage, I would inevitably be doing the math in my head of about how much range it would mean I had left.

• Like x 8
  5. Petra

Petra Member

Range, simply because it's more granular than using whole number percent. I view the rated mile (rm) as an arbitrary unit rather than a distance.

• Like x 4
  6. 303JeffB

303JeffB Member

I keep it on percentage, my 40+ years of driving ICE vehicles makes me very comfortable looking at a gauge that shows the portion of fuel remaining and making refueling decisions. I agree that the Nav seems to be incredibly accurate - my only scare came on a segment with strong headwinds, but even with that, the Nav showed the remaining energy at the annex SC declining rapidly, so I had the information I needed to adjust speed and tuck in behind a semi to draft until it was clear we'd make it...

• Like x 6
  7. d21mike

d21mike Member

I would prefer both. But I had to pick. And my charging is based on percent so I am using the percent. But I would also like rated miles like my prior car.

• Like x 2
  8. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Some people like doing math in the head. :) Or crossword puzzles, reading a magazine, whatever.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  9. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I got sick of watching my rated miles continually degrade at max charge so I switched to percentage and all is well now. :)

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah that ^^

• Like x 1
  11. dailo

dailo Member

Percentage. I just switch to range when I get below 15%

• Like x 1
  12. SDRick

SDRick Member

This poll is pretty evenly split so far. I did not realize it would be so close. It will probably remain undecided until all the absentee ballots are counted.

• Funny x 6
  13. dpilone

dpilone Member

I started with range and couldn’t understand people who used percentage. Without doing the math, seeing “54%” left on my battery meant nothing to me in terms of how far I could go; I couldn’t imagine why you’d want to use that. Then after about 6 months with the car, constantly watching my rated range number and never getting anywhere close to empty with my daily usage I realized that just having a general sense of “about how full is my battery” was way more relaxing. I had no need to think “I only have 146mi left!” when I was heading home to plug in for the night.

It’s a different story for actual distance trips where I might care about range remaining but for those I use the Nav which gives fantastic range info and supercharger routing. For everything else, percentage gives me one less thing to obsess about... — Dan

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  14. bigdaddie

bigdaddie Member

Range for sure. I commute 265mi and I need to know if I'll get there. 99% of the time I can there in my P100D, but sometimes (cold Wx, headwinds) I cannot.

BD

15. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Always use percentage except occasionally to check what the degradation is (now at 284 miles from 294 miles 14 months ago).

A percent is a percent, regardless of how fast or slow one drives. Never have used miles while traveling, since the concept of a mile *traveled* is wholly subject to speed/elevation/temperature/rolling resistance.

The poll split (about 50/50 at this juncture) reminds me of that blue dress/gold dress visual dichotomy this past year.

• Like x 2
  16. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I keep it on range but I mentally interpret it as percentage :)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. bigdaddie

bigdaddie Member

Yes but using your method you have to calculate the percentage back to miles or kilometers or Elon steps or whatever. I learned a long time ago, never do math in public.

BD

• Like x 1
  18. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Sage advice, that. However, I don't calculate back during travel legs.

For example, if at SC A ye olde Nav sez I'm expected to arrive at SC B with 12%, and if I've not traveled that route to SC B before, I'll charge to ~+20% rather than +12% and off I go. Depending upon relative progress using the Trip/Consumption charts, I'll speed up or slow down to arrive with, ideally, some SOC between 5% and 10%. I don't advocate this one way or the other for anyone else - it's just what I tend to do after getting into a rhythm from SC to SC to SC.

The miles become secondary, aside from the larger objective of covering 800 miles/day, mas o menos. I'll also sanity check miles versus ETA once in awhile to see if there might be some sort of delay ahead (usually construction).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. bigdaddie

bigdaddie Member

See, math in public. Blew my mind man......

• Funny x 2
  20. Tdub621

Tdub621 Member

Range offers more information without having to do any math in your head. Anyone capable of eyeballing can gauge what the approximate percentage is just by looking at the green battery indicator.

• Like x 9