Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range predictions and sleeping in a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 part thread:

1. With the rumors surrounding the F-150 Lightning possibly offering over 450 miles of range with an empty bed what are your predictions on how much range each Cybertruck variant will get? I reserved the dual motor so I'm guessing 500 miles w/ empty bed simply based on Tesla's more efficient battery tech compared to Ford.

2. Any ideas on the camping feature will allow a pass through option from the bed to the main cabin to allow for HVAC? I'm genuinely curious to see if I can sleep comfortably in a Cybertruck. Thoughts?

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Site says 300+ on dual motor. I wish I was wrong, but I don't see how that "+" will add 200 more miles.

Screenshot_20210616-235429.png

2 part thread:

1. With the rumors surrounding the F-150 Lightning possibly offering over 450 miles of range with an empty bed what are your predictions on how much range each Cybertruck variant will get? I reserved the dual motor so I'm guessing 500 miles w/ empty bed simply based on Tesla's more efficient battery tech compared to Ford.

2. Any ideas on the camping feature will allow a pass through option from the bed to the main cabin to allow for HVAC? I'm genuinely curious to see if I can sleep comfortably in a Cybertruck. Thoughts?
Certainly hoping for both:
  • 500 is planned for tri-motor, maybe it will exceed 400 for dual?
  • with Camping Mode available in the S, surely they will do this

2 part thread:

Teslas are some of the most efficient cars out there (Chevy Bolt is also in the M3 ball park in terms of efficiency) BUT from all of my research, the Mach E (along with many other non-Tesla EVs) tend to come closer to or exceed their EPA range. In real world driving a M3 drives further than a Mach E, but not as much further as the EPA ratings indicate. While I anticipate the real world range of the Dual Motor will exceed the real world of the F-150 extended battery, it won't actually be as much as the EPA estimates will indicate. Of course this is all guessing since neither truck is in production, but I doubt either company will change the way they determine their EPA estimates. One of many articles that bear this out: EV Range Tests: Real-World Vs EPA.

I'm also guessing that the CT's shape will make it significantly more efficient than the F-150 from an aerodynamic standpoint.

here is my question about range. the Plaid + was canceled because I guess we didn't need it or something. It was also supposed to have the new batteries The CT is also supposed to have the new batteries which is going to give the CT its range. It almost makes me think those new cells wont be happening now given the cancelation of the plaid + and that lame reason. I dunno, could be grasping at straws but it seems weird.

Reactions: Phyzi Driver
here is my question about range. the Plaid + was canceled because I guess we didn't need it or something. It was also supposed to have the new batteries The CT is also supposed to have the new batteries which is going to give the CT its range. It almost makes me think those new cells wont be happening now given the cancelation of the plaid + and that lame reason. I dunno, could be grasping at straws but it seems weird.
It's all just delays. I really hope they wait to release the CT until the new batteries are ready. As much as I want one ASAP, I wouldn't take one with current batteries just to get one now.

My guess is that the dual motor will end up in the 340-350 mile range, maybe 380 tops, and based on the recent patent filings the tri motor will be over 600 miles of range. This will all depend on the 4680 batteries which in the last earnings call sounded like they are already reliably producing at Fremont. Although the CT and its batteries will be produced in GF Texas so that all still needs to be installed and ramped up. If we're lucky I think a small number of CT's could be produced by the end of this year but mass production will ramp in Q1 2022.

My guess is that the dual motor will end up in the 340-350 mile range, maybe 380 tops, and based on the recent patent filings the tri motor will be over 600 miles of range. This will all depend on the 4680 batteries which in the last earnings call sounded like they are already reliably producing at Fremont. Although the CT and its batteries will be produced in GF Texas so that all still needs to be installed and ramped up. If we're lucky I think a small number of CT's could be produced by the end of this year but mass production will ramp in Q1 2022.
Let's hope. I have an SR+ today so a Dual Motor CT will be a range upgrade anyway.

Nice, but not sure I want to spend $70k. I am good with the Dual Motor as long as it is in the 325-350 miles of range. I don't plan to tow much or for very far. I wonder if they plan to increase the charging rate on the tri-motor, 600 miles could take a while.
True, but even at current charging rates, you can get 350+ overnight at home, and could leave with 300+ (dual) or 550+ (tri) and not have to stop to charge, except at meals and overnight, in most cases.

Where did you get this from?
From the patent applications.
The most interesting piece of information in the images is the fact that it is consistently showing a range of 610 miles (982 km) for the Cybertruck. When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck, it announced that the top performance version would have a range of “over 500 miles.”May 28, 2021

From the patent applications.
The most interesting piece of information in the images is the fact that it is consistently showing a range of 610 miles (982 km) for the Cybertruck. When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck, it announced that the top performance version would have a range of “over 500 miles.”May 28, 2021

A 600+miles range would be wonderful :D

The new 4680 batteries were Not part of the range equation when the CT was 1st introduce… the 4680 was developed from real world tests on the Tesla Semi truck which is the tech being used in the CT… I think the ranges will be as advertised under optimal conditions… add weather , traffic, lead feet and double footed driving and the range will drop … just like all motorized vehicles… as far as the F-150 … it’s a joke until they prove it … Tesla have wheels on the ground every day … getting stronger by the mile … real world knowledge and testing 👍👍

The new 4680 batteries were Not part of the range equation when the CT was 1st introduce… the 4680 was developed from real world tests on the Tesla Semi truck which is the tech being used in the CT… I think the ranges will be as advertised under optimal conditions… add weather , traffic, lead feet and double footed driving and the range will drop … just like all motorized vehicles… as far as the F-150 … it’s a joke until they prove it … Tesla have wheels on the ground every day … getting stronger by the mile … real world knowledge and testing 👍👍
The 'bricked' Mach-E's currently littering highways and Ford dealerships, make Ford pretty funny to watch. :p
F-150E ain't gonna make it outa the starting gate, IMHO.