Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range predictions and sleeping in a Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we have anything to worry about. The FORD Lightening won't hold a candle to the CYBRTRK. But then again there will be those who prefer the more conventional truck look. To each their own.

With the new batteries (4680 cells), I think we might just be looking at a 610-mile range on the Tri-motor CYBRBEAST.

With the slower charging in my 2015 S recently, I’m looking forward to the CT for long trips. Thinking to customize the second row into a flexible seating/sleeping area, and putting suitcases and gear in the truck bed. Hope the second row seats will be removable for camping mode in the truck bed when my wife is along, and for a captains chairs option.

Last edited:
Musk hasn't completely ruled out the ability to open up the cabin to the Vault, has he? If not, think of the arrangement where you have the Vault closed and the back window/partition open where you could pump the Vault with HVAC from the cabin. In regards to outlets, won't the CT have built-in compressor connections and maybe even some higher voltage connections (or am I just projecting?) :)

Reactions: QUBO
CT will use more power per mile because there's more vehicle to move. Seems assumption is 500Wh/mile for CT, vs 350WH/mile for M3 etc.

That said, range estimation takes that into account.
CT has a rapid-charge range (20-80%) equal to the entire range (0-100%) of a M3, so driven the same it will have substantially faster recharging.
Viewed from actual trip details, you're more likely to get there without recharging at all in a CT vs most anything else (so long as it's within 500 miles).

I make a 1000-mile trip (one way) on occasion. Of late enjoyed making the drive in my new-to-me Suburban with only one "recharge" midway, rather than the usual 3-4 stops with the prior ~300 mile range Explorer. Given a CT needing only to stop once, I'd be content to munch lunch while awaiting a full-range recharge.

My Model Y in camp mode loses ~10-13% range per night.

I expect with the much bigger battery of the tri-motor that will be more like 5% per night. That plus the much longer range means I'll be able to do 5+ night camping trips instead of the current 2-3 nights. Looking forward to that flexibility.

Reactions: UCF3
My Model Y in camp mode loses ~10-13% range per night.

I expect with the much bigger battery of the tri-motor that will be more like 5% per night. That plus the much longer range means I'll be able to do 5+ night camping trips instead of the current 2-3 nights. Looking forward to that flexibility.
And if there's any solar charging options for the CT, that could help offset a bit, as well.

The new 4680 batteries were Not part of the range equation when the CT was 1st introduce… the 4680 was developed from real world tests on the Tesla Semi truck which is the tech being used in the CT… I think the ranges will be as advertised under optimal conditions… add weather , traffic, lead feet and double footed driving and the range will drop … just like all motorized vehicles… as far as the F-150 … it’s a joke until they prove it … Tesla have wheels on the ground every day … getting stronger by the mile … real world knowledge and testing 👍👍
I’m pretty sure the new 4680 batteries are the sole reason Tesla introduced the Cybertruck at the prices they did. The weight and price of a Cybertruck made with 2170 cells would have been untenable.

Reactions: buckets0fun
If , IF, IF all trucks have 4680 battery pack??? The very same hardware. Then range will be totally software paid for range. He should have one standard pack. We pay for range as an option. It cost alot to have different pack size, shapes. That's why we can't get NEW packs for or 60 thru 100 antique cars. They don't make those packs anymore so our cars will become junk, or pay them for repaired used packs ($22k) with no warranty.

If , IF, IF all trucks have 4680 battery pack??? The very same hardware. Then range will be totally software paid for range. He should have one standard pack. We pay for range as an option. It cost alot to have different pack size, shapes. That's why we can't get NEW packs for or 60 thru 100 antique cars. They don't make those packs anymore so our cars will become junk, or pay them for repaired used packs ($22k) with no warranty.
There will be multiple battery pack sizes. 4680 is the form factor not the capacity.

It’s likely something like 125kWh for the dual motor/ 300 mile truck and ~200kWh for the 500 mile range truck.

No chance they will ship 75kWh of batteries which is software limited. That’s a Model Y worth of cells.