Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So! I've had my model 3 SR+ for a year now and for the first time I've charged it up to 100% today and the range shows 368km

That got me curious, in most places I search (wiki, Tesla website) it states the range of a model 3 is 250miles /402km.. which would've meant my battery is at 90%, a 10% degration for just 1 year.

Digging deeper via various forums and I've seen people quote a 240miles (386km)number, which would've put my vehicle at a 5% degradationm a number that i'm much more comfortable with.

So questions:
1. Is there a website of sorts for me to look up my car's range at purchase date? (Instead of the latest and newest)

2. Did the latest model 3 came with a slightly bigger battery? If the 10mile increase in range is done with software optimization wouldn't my vehicle also get it? If so, does that mean my vehicle got a 10% degradation after just 1 year?

3. How's everyone else doing in terms of range degradation?

Highly doubt your battery degraded 10% in year, that’s quite an edge case.

That said, the maximium distance presented can be higher or worst depending on driving style and condition. You will see it fluctuate often and as you drive those distance u can see if it really is lower.

• Disagree
Reactions: BEPA400
I was at 365 from the day I picked it up. Never had higher than 367. I’ve done all the rebalance baloney and it doesn’t change. Any chance you always have regen dots regardless of soc and temperature?
While I haven't monitored it that closely, my guess is I'm not far off what you're stating. I strongly doubt my car ever had the 386 km range it advertised from new. I've only charged to 100% a few times that being said but I believe I"m right there with you. Would I buy the car again? Without a doubt.

see this thread below for a recent discussion on actual vs rated range in km from the computer. The km number is only an estimation, based on normal driving. The rated 402km range is after having testing under specific conditions. If you want to get 402km, don't drive over 90kph on the highway. We don't look at the battery life on our cell phones in hours left because it will constantly change depending on how you use the phone. Set your car to % instead of km's and you'll probably worry about the range less.

402 mi range — Wow!

edit- see here, where he does it first at 90kph, then does it again at a faster speed at the end:

Last edited:
FYI:

I did find answers to my own question after a little more digging.

Tesla increases range of base Model 3, bumps price up - Electrek did confirm that my car did came with 240miles range (as opposed to 250 miles)

and per this thread SR+ range went from 240 miles to 250 on Tesla.com | Tesla, it mentioned the additional 10miles was a result of an updated manufacturing process so it wouldn't apply to existing vehicles

i know the range number is only an estimation. My concern was the degradation. 5% after 1st year vs 10% after 1st year is a pretty big difference imho and that gets me worries about the longevity of the car. i.e can i still drive this car 10-15 years down the road or is the battery gonna be busted by then

some follow up thoughts, while a 10% degradation every year over 8 years would mean you will have 43% capacity left when warranty ends. a 5% degradationevery year over 8 years is not exceptionally good either 0.95^8 = 66% (still under the warranty)

Now i know people have been claiming that the 5% drop pretty much happens as soon as the car gets on the road the first time and a more realistic per year drop % is around 1-2%

I just wonder, if our car battery does indeed drop below 70% at the end of 8 year, does the warranty give you a brand new 100% battery? or are they gonna just give you some sort of 70% refurb battery? lol

Obviously no one really knows since I don't think any car has been on the road that long ye and it was just a hypothetical scenario that has a very low chance of happening. still...one may wonder =P

...Obviously no one really knows since I don't think any car has been on the road that long ye and it was just a hypothetical scenario that has a very low chance of happening. still...one may wonder =P

Battery replacements have happened in the classic Roadster, Model S, Model X...

Tesla doesn't usually provide a brand new main battery pack if they can get refurbished packs somewhere.

The warranty also says "the Battery capacity of the replacement Battery will be at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred".

That means if the battery fails at 80%, don't expect to get another one with 100% capacity.

some follow up thoughts, while a 10% degradation every year over 8 years would mean you will have 43% capacity left when warranty ends. a 5% degradationevery year over 8 years is not exceptionally good either 0.95^8 = 66% (still under the warranty)

Now i know people have been claiming that the 5% drop pretty much happens as soon as the car gets on the road the first time and a more realistic per year drop % is around 1-2%

I just wonder, if our car battery does indeed drop below 70% at the end of 8 year, does the warranty give you a brand new 100% battery? or are they gonna just give you some sort of 70% refurb battery? lol

Obviously no one really knows since I don't think any car has been on the road that long ye and it was just a hypothetical scenario that has a very low chance of happening. still...one may wonder =P
The battery capacity will drop non linearly, so I wouldn't worry about losing 5% per year. There are also a lot (pretty much all) model 3s that saw a sudden range drop which was really just tesla adding a bit more low end buffer to the car beyond 0%. Bjorn Nyland had some in depth videos on this last summer.

For the question about refurb batteries, I believe tesla states that you will get a battery consistent with the km and age of the car. This implies that on a 7 year old battery you would get a battery that has a capacity of where a 7 year battery 'should' have, or better. But certainly don't expect a 100% new battery.

They would likely take your old battery and swap out the bad cells with new ones. So you might have a few new cells, but would be left with the other 'good' cells that still meet the 8 year/70% criteria, this the average would certainly be less than 100%. At least that is how I would run the process if I were them. You likely wouldn't even get the same battery back, they would likely have a refurbishment process where they take batteries in and swap a refurb one that isn't your original.

There is an iOS app where a user can enter their Tesla model, their odometer reading, their present battery charge level, and their present displayed rated range. The app then shows the vehicle’s battery health in relation to other cars of the same model and odometer reading. The app is called “Battery Compare”.

My SR+ has 36,284 km. At 80% charge it has a rated range of 284 km. At this level, 96% of SR+ cars have better rated range than me. :eek:

If you would like me to run your numbers, let me know.

4D6D1EFE-068C-40C7-A030-A9B40B65D03D.jpeg

Last edited:
There is an iOS app where a user can enter their Tesla model, their odometer reading, their present battery charge level, and their present displayed rated range. The app then shows the vehicle’s battery health in relation to other cars of the same model and odometer reading. The app is called “Battery Compare”.

My SR+ has 36,284 km. At 80% charge it has a rated range of 284 km. At this level, 96% of SR+ cars have better rated range than me. :eek:

If you would like me to run your numbers, let me know.

View attachment 554001

I am glad to finally see someone with similar range to mine. It has been driving me crazy from day one. At 18,000 km and one year in, I am at 280km at 80%. The app shows an estimated range or 349 if I were to charge to 100%. I have never seen above 360. In most day to day, it is fine but when I did a roadtrip at highway speeds I was often having to charge between 220-250 km driving around 125 km/hr

The biggest drop in battery you will see is within the first year. Also, the KM range you see is based off of your driving efficiency, wheel configuration etc. It doesn’t mean your battery necessarily lost that much capacity

The “Stats for Tesla” app shows both the Estimated Range, as you describe above that is affected by various user factors and environmental factors. It also shows the Rated Range that is independent of those factors and indicates the health of the battery.

There can be a large difference between those numbers.

My Rated Range is now 354 km at 100% but due to my driving and environment, my Estimated Range at 100% is 407 km.

Attachments

• 73A8E214-4A07-4C23-9625-23F3D046C96F.png
    73A8E214-4A07-4C23-9625-23F3D046C96F.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 70
Highly doubt your battery degraded 10% in year, that’s quite an edge case.

That said, the maximium distance presented can be higher or worst depending on driving style and condition. You will see it fluctuate often and as you drive those distance u can see if it really is lower.
No and no!
First.. 10% isn’t that unheard of. Mine was down 7.5% in first six months and is stable there now. I have read reports from others with similar build dates and similar readings.
Second.. it’s based on your battery! They just multiply your battery capacity by a conversion factor to come up with a distance!
It is not like most other EV’s out there which have a guessometer that uses your previous driving efficiency to extrapolate a forecasted remaining range. If you want that, go to the energy screen and look and your consumption efficiency graph. THAT is based on your previous driving and has nothing to do with the %/km display.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
FYI:

I did find answers to my own question after a little more digging.

Tesla increases range of base Model 3, bumps price up - Electrek did confirm that my car did came with 240miles range (as opposed to 250 miles)

and per this thread SR+ range went from 240 miles to 250 on Tesla.com | Tesla, it mentioned the additional 10miles was a result of an updated manufacturing process so it wouldn't apply to existing vehicles

i know the range number is only an estimation. My concern was the degradation. 5% after 1st year vs 10% after 1st year is a pretty big difference imho and that gets me worries about the longevity of the car. i.e can i still drive this car 10-15 years down the road or is the battery gonna be busted by then
My degradation happened in the first six months and has now been stable for the last six months. Warm/cold weather had no impact FYI.

My Model 3 AWD shows about 340km to 350 km for 80% charge, vs. 396 when I first got it in Nov. 2018. However, almost all driving is around town no a lot of higher speed highway driving, and it's rare I get down below 200km left.

I had a Tesla service call, I asked the technician about this. Unlike a tank full of liquid, he said, there is no simple indicator for the battery charge level. The management computer guesses based on battery output. The best way to recalibrate is to drive the battery down as low as you dare, say 10% or so. Leave it unplugged like this for at least an hour before charging. Then charge it to your normal level -some people do 90%, I do 80%. After charging is complete, let it sit for at least an hour unplugged.

The computer will then get a more accurate idea of the state of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You must read this thread first if you want to understand a bit about how that number of kilometers is calculated. If you don't want all the details, just know that the BMS tries to estimate the battery capacity, and multiplies by a constant wh/m from the EPA test to arrive at a distance. The estimation of capacity isn't perfect. The only way to really know your degradation is to fill to 100%, drive (constantly and reasonably) until you are stranded, and fill to 100% again, do calculations.... All the apps like Stats, TeslaFi etc rely on the Tesla API's reported values to make a statistical average and plot your position relative to others. Knowing that this is just an estimate, and seeing how you can influence that estimate if you want to put the effort into it (see linked thread), you shouldn't rely on it too much.
Tesla batteries typically lose a few percent in the first year and it slows down drastically after that. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: house9
I followed the service guy's advice - sort of. I only got the car down to about 160km, not 100. After the "leave it unplugged" advice, it charged to indicate 368km.

Of course, km like % is just a number. I pull out the trip stats window under the pic of the car, and my consumption per km can vary wildly depending on assorted factors - speed, stop and go, and especially the need for heat. I just use it for a guide. I took a rural road trip once and the car somewhat into the stiff wind (about 30kph) at 105kph was using 4k per 3k travelled. On the return, 1:1. I suppose before anyone tries an iffy road trip distance, they have a rough idea how their car behaves.

It varies according to how you charge, how you drive, and tesla voodoo magic. Here’s my Teslafi battery report since I got the car.
I’ve only supercharged it once. Every other charge has been at home.
It looks like the range is dropping off again like it did in October after a software update. Doesn’t make any difference in how I drive on a daily basis...

80E58DBF-6EB7-4AEB-9A10-988AC632AE46.jpeg