Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this is a common issue but seems like its hard to drive this car normal without gunning the pedal most times, range at full charge on p85 shows 245 miles but I regularly only get about 115-135 with gunning it often but not constantly. Is this normal? Cause wow that SUCKS IMO....

Also, be sure to keep some air in your tires. Even a couple of psi low makes a big difference. I estimate 280-320 miles on a full charge in my S85 with good weather and traffic, but I could easily get less.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Here it is

Attachments

• IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: hiroshiy
Yeah, the short trips over a few days is going to make your range look terrible. When I first leave my garage, and in the first half mile or so, my energy usage is sometimes about 800 wh/mile. It settles out into that 300-ish range within the first mile or two, so on longer drives, it's not going to be like you're talking about, getting only half of the rated miles.

Yeah, the short trips over a few days is going to make your range look terrible. When I first leave my garage, and in the first half mile or so, my energy usage is sometimes about 800 wh/mile. It settles out into that 300-ish range within the first mile or two, so on longer drives, it's not going to be like you're talking about, getting only half of the rated miles.
But we should add that it doesn't matter what the range looks like with multiple short trips, because by definition they are SHORT trips. Plug in when you get home again and you'll be fine. Where range matters is on long trips.

The range ratings are based off continuously driving the car steady state for that number of miles. It does not factor in warming up, climate control / battery thermal control bringing temperatures to range, etc etc etc.

It doesn't seem too abnormal for someone who, say, commutes 15 miles per day, to see an effective range that's 1/2 or 2/3 of the rated range. On a hot summer day I can see 3 miles disappear before I even pull out of the parking lot…. yet on a long trip I can easily be around 10% of the EPA rating.

As others have said it's nothing different from gas cars. My Audi A6 laughably told me 450 miles every time I filled up. I was lucky to break 250.

But we should add that it doesn't matter what the range looks like with multiple short trips, because by definition they are SHORT trips. Plug in when you get home again and you'll be fine. Where range matters is on long trips.
Exactly. People get freaked out with seeing these worst case scenarios, but it's in cases where it doesn't matter.

It doesn't seem too abnormal for someone who, say, commutes 15 miles per day, to see an effective range that's 1/2 or 2/3 of the rated range. On a hot summer day I can see 3 miles disappear before I even pull out of the parking lot…. yet on a long trip I can easily be around 10% of the EPA rating.

We have a drive of about 2 miles to work. It will sometimes use up 6 or more rated miles to do that if there is some heat or A/C use or defrosting ice off the windows and heating the battery some.