TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 13, 2016.

1. GadgetGeek407

GadgetGeek407 Member

I am sure this is a common issue but seems like its hard to drive this car normal without gunning the pedal most times, range at full charge on p85 shows 245 miles but I regularly only get about 115-135 with gunning it often but not constantly. Is this normal? Cause wow that SUCKS IMO....

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Same with any car. Drive it hard and it uses more fuel.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

Look at your wh/mile:

200 : you drive slow enough to drive Miss Daisy.
    300 : around average - this is where you'll get rated miles.
    400 : you're a maniac, like the rest of us.
    500 : you're a maniac that should be locked up.
    600 : brianman? Is that you???

• Funny x 4
  4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Also, be sure to keep some air in your tires. Even a couple of psi low makes a big difference. I estimate 280-320 miles on a full charge in my S85 with good weather and traffic, but I could easily get less.

• Like x 1
  5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, @talk2bilal , why don't you post a photo of your trip computer screen in the instrument cluster (IC)? That would tell how much energy you are using. Also, do you do many short trips? Somehow in the beginning of a trip, Model S uses so much energy. So making many short trips, you would get like half range.

6. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Fuel? What's that?

• Dislike x 1
  7. kort677

kort677 Active Member

fuel=energy, in ice cars gas or diesel is the energy, in the tesla and other evs electricity is the fuel for propulsion.

• Dislike x 1
  8. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Thanks, capitan obvious. I was trying to make a joke based on most Americans' understanding that fuel implies gas/petrol. Party pooper! :p

• Funny x 1
  9. GadgetGeek407

GadgetGeek407 Member

Here it is

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  10. GadgetGeek407

GadgetGeek407 Member

On trip B though I plugged in at home on the slow 3 mile an hour charge last night which added like 36 or so miles

Attached Files:

11. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

@talk2bilal , it seems in the last 30 miles you averaged 350Wh/m which is reasonable. Other screenshots indicate over 400Wh/m, do these consist of multiple short trips?

12. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Yeah, the short trips over a few days is going to make your range look terrible. When I first leave my garage, and in the first half mile or so, my energy usage is sometimes about 800 wh/mile. It settles out into that 300-ish range within the first mile or two, so on longer drives, it's not going to be like you're talking about, getting only half of the rated miles.

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

But we should add that it doesn't matter what the range looks like with multiple short trips, because by definition they are SHORT trips. Plug in when you get home again and you'll be fine. Where range matters is on long trips.

14. chillaban

chillaban Member

The range ratings are based off continuously driving the car steady state for that number of miles. It does not factor in warming up, climate control / battery thermal control bringing temperatures to range, etc etc etc.

It doesn't seem too abnormal for someone who, say, commutes 15 miles per day, to see an effective range that's 1/2 or 2/3 of the rated range. On a hot summer day I can see 3 miles disappear before I even pull out of the parking lot…. yet on a long trip I can easily be around 10% of the EPA rating.

As others have said it's nothing different from gas cars. My Audi A6 laughably told me 450 miles every time I filled up. I was lucky to break 250.

15. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Exactly. People get freaked out with seeing these worst case scenarios, but it's in cases where it doesn't matter.

We have a drive of about 2 miles to work. It will sometimes use up 6 or more rated miles to do that if there is some heat or A/C use or defrosting ice off the windows and heating the battery some.