Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Rover SVR to EV but I'm torn.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Just sold my Range Rover SVR 2019. It was on PCP, recently sold it as I was in positive equity and settled the agreement, the leftover I'm putting towards solar and battery storage. Loved the car however time for something more practical and it will also be quite a significant cost saving exercise, especially with inflating fuel costs.

As part of my recent review at work I've been advised I have a circa £60-70k budget top end for a company car. This will save me a fortune as the RRS was a personal lease and honestly with fuel, insurance, mileage allowance etc. stood me at circa £1800 a month. In contrast the company car is going to be serviced, insured and maintained by my employer with me literally only paying the BIK. So from £1800 a month to well under £50. Free charging will be available at work 22kw x 2 chargers and only myself and my boss with EV's.

My commute is 50 miles round trip so it does fit rather well into my life. My wife also has the New Fiat 500 which has helped with my decision to move to EV, I'm a petrol head but I'm genuinely excited to transition. This is also reason for solar mainly to charge her car but occasionally for mine if off work etc,

It's a no brainer.

Now I've driven the Polestar 2, Model 3 LR and Model Y LR, disregarded the P2 from this I'm now torn between the Model 3 and Model Y. I'm 6 foot 2 however i'm genuinely happy from a comfort perspective in both the Model 3 and Model Y however feel more at home in the Y coming from a larger vehicle. I have no real additional space requirements. I have no kids and don't plan to, it's just a commuter for me with personal use.

Now for my dilemma. If the Model Y was as fast as the Model 3 i'd probably go Y however it isn't and the performance gap only increases with the available deliveries.

So my options taking into account I slightly prefer the Model Y for additional space however really do enjoy performance so that I feel is trumping space considering i don't have kids etc.

Looking late year deliveries for anything other than the below options, this is really pushing me down the Model 3 route. Has anyone else opted for performance over comfort and regretted or alternatively opted for comfort over performance and regretted it?

Model 3 Performance - May 2022 (Circa £60k)
Model Y Long Range - May 2022 (£Circa 55k)

If it was my personal car i'd probably go for Model Y and add AB so close the gap on performance. However as it's my employers this is not really an option.

Just really interested to see what others have done when driven by delivery timescales etc.

Hi Guys,

Just sold my Range Rover SVR 2019. It was on PCP, recently sold it as I was in positive equity and settled the agreement, the leftover I'm putting towards solar and battery storage. Loved the car however time for something more practical and it will also be quite a significant cost saving exercise, especially with inflating fuel costs.

As part of my recent review at work I've been advised I have a circa £60-70k budget top end for a company car. This will save me a fortune as the RRS was a personal lease and honestly with fuel, insurance, mileage allowance etc. stood me at circa £1800 a month. In contrast the company car is going to be serviced, insured and maintained by my employer with me literally only paying the BIK. So from £1800 a month to well under £50. Free charging will be available at work 22kw x 2 chargers and only myself and my boss with EV's.

My commute is 50 miles round trip so it does fit rather well into my life. My wife also has the New Fiat 500 which has helped with my decision to move to EV, I'm a petrol head but I'm genuinely excited to transition. This is also reason for solar mainly to charge her car but occasionally for mine if off work etc,

It's a no brainer.

Now I've driven the Polestar 2, Model 3 LR and Model Y LR, disregarded the P2 from this I'm now torn between the Model 3 and Model Y. I'm 6 foot 2 however i'm genuinely happy from a comfort perspective in both the Model 3 and Model Y however feel more at home in the Y coming from a larger vehicle. I have no real additional space requirements. I have no kids and don't plan to, it's just a commuter for me with personal use.

Now for my dilemma. If the Model Y was as fast as the Model 3 i'd probably go Y however it isn't and the performance gap only increases with the available deliveries.

So my options taking into account I slightly prefer the Model Y for additional space however really do enjoy performance so that I feel is trumping space considering i don't have kids etc.

Looking late year deliveries for anything other than the below options, this is really pushing me down the Model 3 route. Has anyone else opted for performance over comfort and regretted or alternatively opted for comfort over performance and regretted it?

If it was my personal car i'd probably go for Model Y and add AB so close the gap on performance. However as it's my employers this is not really an option.

Just really interested to see what others have done when driven by delivery timescales etc.
With your other car being a Fiat 500 the chances of you sitting at the back in the Fiat is pretty close to nil from your description.

All the factors considered Model 3 P sounds like the car you want but worried that is going to spoil the comfort. Having driven a Range rover for number of years I can tell you model 3/Y will never come closer to the luxury/comfort or the suppleness of the Rangie. You just have to accept that fact and choose Model Y. The reason is Model 3 P is a lovely car in all its glory but that one occasion you sit at the back in any of the model 3/LR/P you will regret and miss your Rangie.

What you want may not be the ideal one for your needs unfortunately. Good luck with your choice.

I switched from a 2020 M3 LR to a 2022 MY LR and am delighted with the move. The MY is (in my view) more comfortable than the M3, easier to get into and out of, and the higher driving position is excellent. No complaints at all about performance. There’s always the option to buy the performance boost in the future but for me the standard version is all I need.

a company car
EV is 1% (or something tiny like that) BiK tax. Compared to ICE I expect that will be very significant.

100% first year writeoff for company (therefore significant for them too - they might cut you some slack because of that, e.g. pay for your home charger?).
Free charging will be available at work ... My commute is 50 miles round trip

Pre-Covid I was commuting and had free charging at work ... basically I came home with enough charge such that I rarely charged at home. Even so on best overnight rate £100 of home charging will get you 5,000 miles ... so its unlikely to be worth bothering to measure and claim bits-and-pieces of home charging.

If the Model Y was as fast as the Model 3 ...

I have two markers on a road near here 200M-ish apart. Approaching at 40MPH on Cruise and flooring it at first marker MS Raven LR and M3 both hit exactly 90MPH (on paper MS should be quite a bit quicker 0-60), and MY LR gets to 86. So basically there is pretty much nothing in it "overtaking". (All bog-standard, no acceleration boost, not Performance)

If your thing is "away from the lights" then either get the £1,500 (I think) acceleration boost for M3 or MY, or buy the Performance (which will likely have shorter delivery wait as a) more profit for Tesla so prioritised and b) less demand). I haven't tested acceleration boost, nor performance (first MS I had was performance, but I never thought to do a 40MPH-Start test back then ...), so I have no comparison data, but my perception is that a lot of Performance is in 0-30, rather than 40+ ... so real world overtaking is pretty sharpish and may be rather similar between Performance and Non-P.

I think the M3 is more enjoyable to drive spirited - more like a hot hatch. I find the MY less precise (but as I have mentioned elsewhere here, I have a sample-size of one, and mine might be out of whack)

Can't get one at present, but have you considered MS instead?

While the Model Y has absolutely loads of storage space, the Model 3 isn't exactly short of space. Managed to take my family of 4 on holiday for a week including a paddleboard without any issue. Yes there isn't the huge opening for transporting washing machines, but I don't need to transport washing machines. I brought 2 big desks back from IKEA without issue.

So unless you have really specific space requirements, in all other respects it sounds like a M3P is the car for you.

Good for you, although the SVR does still count against you.

I have a 3 LR. I haven’t bothered with AB. It’s pretty damn quick anyway ;)
I sat in a Y the other day (didn’t drive it) the seat height is definitely more befitting my age.
It’s apparently half a second or so slower than mine. Not really enough to make much difference.
I shan’t buy a Y though. Two reasons; it looks like a 3 trying to be something else and, when the tailgate opens, at it’s highest point it’s just shy of 8 feet high. Because my electric garage door is just under 7 feet off the garage floor when open, it would make the boot more difficult to access. Despite being able to set the opening height, sometimes they have a mind of their own…

I’m quite sure you’ll be happy with either but the 3 does look the part.

My advice - test drive and consider a low mileage Model S Performance, or P100D

This site Tesla inventory search has listings which you can filter.

Model S has the size and heft you will have had in the RR. Plus faster by a second to 60 than the SVR. [Plus boot to the floor costs 5p, not £5!!!] You would need to go back to a 2018 or 2019 P100D if you want the size over the smaller siblings.

just my thoughts for you.

Tony

I have both a RRS SVR and M3AWD… both really fun to drive and nice vehicles… but honestly prefer the M3 most of the time. RRS sounds mean but M3 is quicker and smoother. I’m 6’2 225lbs and both have comfortable seats. The

I have both a RRS SVR and M3AWD… both really fun to drive and nice vehicles… but honestly prefer the M3 most of the time. RRS sounds mean but M3 is quicker and smoother. I’m 6’2 225lbs and both have comfortable seats. The
You wouldn’t say M3 is comfortable at the back if you sat behind and your other half is driving you around in what we call here as the Lakes (it is Lake districts). It is a comfy car in autobahn, european roads, american roads, British motorways in that order. Not very comfortable in britain’s A, B and unnamed roads.

My advice - test drive and consider a low mileage Model S Performance, or P100D

This site Tesla inventory search has listings which you can filter.

Model S has the size and heft you will have had in the RR. Plus faster by a second to 60 than the SVR. [Plus boot to the floor costs 5p, not £5!!!] You would need to go back to a 2018 or 2019 P100D if you want the size over the smaller siblings.

just my thoughts for you.

Tony

Certainly a good consideration although It has to be brand new for the capital expenditure for my boss to benefit so those options are out of my reach.

To be fair with both the M3/MY I genuinely love the tech and that makes me overlook the reduced comfort compared to the RRS.

Genuinely leaning towards the M3P at this point. I've driven my wifes little fiat 500 here and there and honestly the comfort in that didn't bother me all that much even though it was way too small for me. Just my heart telling me M3P and my head telling me MYLR. I know however whatever I choose I'll be really happy with as I thoroughly enjoyed them both on the test drive.

Actually looking back the RRS comfort was somewhat wasted on me as I just enjoy the driving experience. I've had daily drivers comprising of Track prepped Mitsubishi Evo's, BMW M3's etc. and that never actually bothered me. The EVO was stripped out, noisy as hell and I had to climb through a cage and smell petrol fumes. Yeah maybe M3P is winning for me.

Thanks for all your comments!

Hi Guys,

It's a no brainer.

Hi mate i had an model 3p last year sold the car on and couldn't decide i went for the y in the end for many reasons i prefer the full glass roof wont be as fast as the m3p but you really do get a bit bored after a while so ive opted for the y and going to buy the speed boost to take the car to 4.1 to 60 plenty quick enough

Well i managed to slide in for a test drive of the M3P today having previously driven the LR versions of the 3 & Y.

It may be the man-child in me but it's instantly won my love. My head says Y for additional space however my heart says 3 so i'll be going with the M3P.

I sat in the 3 in my driving position and could comfortably sit in the back with this position retained. Head space was somewhat cramped in the back but hand on heart I can not recall the last time I drove with rear passengers. If I do it's if i'm designated driver and it's 10-20min drive from a meal out somewhere, so I can't justify that driving my choice.

Two things I will miss of the Y are the rear end, IMO looks so much better than the Model 3 from behind and that continuous Pano Roof.

Delivery Times have changed again too. If I go with the YLR I wont get it until July unless I add the £2100 wheels (Not happening) in which case it will come in May . The M3P also available May (LR currently End of Year)

This does help with my boss to as he knows I want Tesla and he knows I want quick turn around, so it's just very unfortunate (joke) that the performance is the only current model available that meets those requirements, as I can't justify chucking optional extra rims on to bring the price down.

So I think thats it. I have tommorow to mull on it however genuinely believe my mind is set and a Tesla Model 3 Performance in Midnight Silver Metallic will be ordered on Monday.

Can't bloody wait!

The more I drive the MY (only had it a week) the more I notice its lack of precision. Doesn't bother me, its the "runaround" for short journeys, cargo and tow-hitch hauling, and we most definitely need a hatchback instead of the M3 boot.

Have you driven MS? Coming from Range Rover you might prefer that (but if you must buy new then that's not an option, at present).

M3 is tight, hot-hatch like. I thought it was a lot of fun to drive. I have not driven the M3P.

The MSP I had previously was in a different league to plain MS (even my much newer current replacement Raven). All the plain-MS loaners I had, and my replacement, scrabble a bit on launch. That was never the case in MSP. Dry, Wet, Any conditions - went off straight as an arrow and got the power down as fast as the conditions allowed it, never ever needed the feather it. Traffic Lights at a roundabout under dual carriageway and taking first exit onto ramp ... just stamp the go pedal. Extraordinary. If the M3P has that (over plain M3) then that would be fun. If not then get the MS !

MS isn't tight like M3, I think it wallows on corners (but it will get round without bother), but it is my first choice for any longer journey, and has bags of space for away-days luggage, more comfortable, and a tad more range than the M3 - and is hatchback. Dated in some respects ... I much (as in hugely) prefer the big, portrait, screen. M3 / MY "car info" (speed etc.) takes up too much of the landscape screen, and e.g. the map area is reduced and compromised when e.g. choosing music.

... you could wait until Autumn (Maybe?!!) and get a new MS

MYLR is not massively more comfortable than M3 since it's the same seat. Another reason why the family doesn't want to leave the X5 which is more comfortable with physical heating and AC controls.
Sorry I should have been more precise, what I meant was the ride comfort rather than creature comforts. M3P/LR/SR all wallops around in the back and I find it totally unmanageble even for a short distance as a passenger. I had few range rovers prior to moving to M3 and their ride comfort at the back is shall I say - heavenly in comparison to Model 3. I felt slightly better in a Y not closer to Rangie but definitely better and the car wasn’t churning my stomach upsode down! And that will be the only reason if at all I move to a Y. But again it is horses for the courses and people are different.