TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range rules of thumb (km/miles range, feet/meters elevation)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by DITB, Nov 14, 2014.

1. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

As I just replied here:

I found some good rule of thumb to calculate the range you can go at a specific speed, just using "Typical Range" from the speedometer indication.

I have read about similar rules of thumb for elevation changes - how about making a collection of these ball park figure ways of knowing what you can expect, mainly for road trips?

The typical question would be

"OK, so I just charged at this supercharger, next up is xxx miles/km and yyy elevation change. How fast can I go, and still make it with zz range left when I get there?"

Instead of shooting off in a cloud of dust, only to discover half way there that you need to limp the rest of the way to make it - it would be much better to set off from the start, at the optimum speed. Including elevation changes, headwind/tailwind, A/C and so on?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops!

Just saw a similar thread up in the sticky threads. Will have a read of it and move this post there, if applicable.