Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Shocker with 22” satin wheels to 20” Carbon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would post about this, because all the threads I searched on the forums, well nobody had specific answers.

I went from 22” satin/matt wheels to 20” carbon wheels. Looks wise, I really like the carbon more than I thought, putting both wheels looks wise ideal for me.

Anyway, they came with tpms + tires... put them on the car and the Model x detected the sensors after 10-15 minutes above 25mph. That was easy.

Now as for miles, I had roughly 195 to 210 range with 22”s driving normal/hard. With these carbon wheels and winter tires, I am getting 245-250 REAL MILES WITH GOOGLE driving 70-80 autopilot, not dash miles (it’s not accurate ever so I leave the percentage).

I am shocked with the additional range. I may not put my 22” wheels back on ever, I feel like I upgraded my battery pack, it’s that dramatic to me.

Oh and to towing... major plus, 5,000 lbs, I’ll take it!

Thanks for the insight. Which battery size do you have? I have the same color/wheel setup and models that you have and agree that the 20” Sonic Carbons look almost as nice as the 22” blacks. The 20s have a chunkier, tougher look to them (good for the winter) as opposed to the sports car, pimped out look with the 22s. I went in thinking I would do quick wheel changes to the 20s whenever I do those couple of longer road trips a year, but like you, not sure if I’ll go back. Summer may change my mind, though.

Sorry I forgot to post I have a 90d. I bought 20”s for winter use. But now, with all this extra range, I may just leave them on.

Thanks for the insight. Which battery size do you have? I have the same color/wheel setup and models that you have and agree that the 20” Sonic Carbons look almost as nice as the 22” blacks. The 20s have a chunkier, tougher look to them (good for the winter) as opposed to the sports car, pimped out look with the 22s. I went in thinking I would do quick wheel changes to the 20s whenever I do those couple of longer road trips a year, but like you, not sure if I’ll go back. Summer may change my mind, though.

When I ordered my X, they use to have a note on the wheel selection screen that the 22" wheel selection would reduce range by 15%. That is the exact reason why I didn't order the 22" wheels. I am not sure why they removed that statement.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are NOT getting 250 real miles out of your MX 90D driving 70-80mph in cooler weather (you said you put snow tires on) Your maximum rated range is 251-260 miles at 100% charge. Your actual maximum distance driving 70-80mph will be closer to 220, if that.

I’m speaking from experience as I own a 90D with 20k miles on it and always have my cruise set at 75mph. When new, my 100% charge was 260 miles, slightly more than the advertised 257, now it’s 251. The longest trip I’ve ever been able to do in cooler weather was 202 miles arriving with 17 rated miles left. And I actually slowed down to 65mph for 50-75 miles of that leg because the computer kept telling me I wouldn’t make it. This was on flat roads with the outside temp around 30-40 degrees.

Certainly not trying to be a naysayer, but I also don’t want people thinking a MX 90D on 20’s has 250 miles of range at 70-80mph in cooler weather.

Correct, not the entire route 70-80mph

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are NOT getting 250 real miles out of your MX 90D driving 70-80mph in cooler weather (you said you put snow tires on) Your maximum rated range is 251-260 miles at 100% charge. Your actual maximum distance driving 70-80mph will be closer to 220, if that.

I’m speaking from experience as I own a 90D with 20k miles on it and always have my cruise set at 75mph. When new, my 100% charge was 260 miles, slightly more than the advertised 257, now it’s 251. The longest trip I’ve ever been able to do in cooler weather was 202 miles arriving with 17 rated miles left. And I actually slowed down to 65mph for 50-75 miles of that leg because the computer kept telling me I wouldn’t make it. This was on flat roads with the outside temp around 30-40 degrees.

Certainly not trying to be a naysayer, but I also don’t want people thinking a MX 90D on 20’s has 250 miles of range at 70-80mph in cooler weather.