Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range - Stated vs Real World

Marcust99

Apr 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
So I charged my MY P up to 85% last night. Range is showing 256 miles. Using the TezLab app, it's saying "real world range" is 125 miles. Jeez
I hope it's more than this.....

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
Real world range is probably based on your last 10 or 25 miles of driving. You can see that in the power graph menu in the car too. You probably accelerated hard, or went fast on the highway, had headwind, went up hills etc... I suggest you read some of the threads around here, discussed plenty.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Range is always a fun question! Let’s start with the eMPG range, which Is based on the car driving on a prescribed track and in a prescribed manner. Practically no one drives like that! Thinking back to an ICE car, if the MPG was say 30 and you typically got 27 MPG, than you were getting 10% less. Now let’s assume the eMPG on a car is 300 miles, taking that same 10% away means your “real world” range in 270 miles. Next, this range assume 100% battery utilization, typically we use just 60% (80% charge, 20% miniumum) which gives us a “practical” range of 162 miles.

If you are going to base range on what an app tells you, such as TezLab, as @GtiMart noted, you need to understand how it works.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
New battery: 77.8 kWh
Lifetime average: 246 Wh/mi
Range: 77800/246 = 316 (100% to 0 and the 4.5% hidden buffer)
316 is exactly what my car was rated for when I bought it.
20210611_102234.jpg

AlexHung

Mar 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
So I charged my MY P up to 85% last night. Range is showing 256 miles. Using the TezLab app, it's saying "real world range" is 125 miles. Jeez
I hope it's more than this.....
If you tap and hold the “real world range” number the app shows how it calculates that range. It’s based on the efficiency average of your last 2 weeks

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC