Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range & Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently found that the range after charging our MYLR to 90% was 289 miles, which is lower than the 296 we used to get. I then remembered that I dropped the cold tire pressure from the recommended 42psi to 40psi to soften the ride. These results suggest that, as a general rule, a 1psi change in tire pressure will result in an approximate 1% change in range. Less tire pressure, less range. The wife(and I) found that the improvement in ride comfort was noticeable with the lower pressure and the slight hit in range was a worthwhile tradeoff. Reportedly, Musk recommended a tire pressure of 40psi for ride comfort and 45psi for maximum efficiency (range). I think his recommendation is spot on. What are your experiences?

Recently found that the range after charging our MYLR to 90% was 289 miles, which is lower than the 296 we used to get. I then remembered that I dropped the cold tire pressure from the recommended 42psi to 40psi to soften the ride. These results suggest that, as a general rule, a 1psi change in tire pressure will result in an approximate 1% change in range. Less tire pressure, less range.
If you are referring to the estimated range next to the battery symbol, I don't believe that is affected by tire pressure.

Reactions: Pianewman
Tesla has updated the range estimate algorithm to include temperature, humidity and other factors. This may include tire pressure. In general +1 PSI will improve efficiency by less than 1%. Up to a point, a 2 to 3 PSI increase in tire pressure over the recommended tire pressure setting can improve efficiency by 1%. Temperature has a greater impact.

Tesla has updated the range estimate algorithm to include temperature, humidity and other factors. This may include tire pressure. In general +1 PSI will improve efficiency by less than 1%. Up to a point, a 2 to 3 PSI increase in tire pressure over the recommended tire pressure setting can improve efficiency by 1%. Temperature has a greater impact.
Are we talking about the general SOC range estimate next to the battery symbol or the energy screen trip arrival estmated SOC?

I thought it was the latter that included all the new factors, but I could be wrong.

The range most definitely changed from one charge cycle to the next with tire pressure changes.
But it probably did not change because of the change in tire pressure. If you are referring to the range number next to the battery symbol, that will fluctuate up an down a small amount (mostly down). Read up on battery degradation. at 100% when new my MYP used to show over 300 miles. Now at 100% it shows 277.

Reactions: Pianewman
I know this is an old thread and I wanted to add my experience rather than start a new one for anyone whose range decreased. I believe Tesla does take into account tire pressure when calculating range. I have a 2022 MS Plaid with 19s and about 4500 miles. My estimated range is 396, so 90% is about 356. When it started getting cold and the temp dropped 30 degrees, my 90% range suddenly dropped to 353, then to 351. That equated to a 1.5% range decrease. I thought that was a bit much given how little miles I have. Contemplated posting on here, but thought maybe it was the weather change and was going to wait until the weather warmed up to see if it was the temperature or battery degradation. Decided to check my tires about two weeks later and saw that they were at 38psi (recommended is 42psi). Inflated them back up and my 90% range went back up to 356.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I think the "range anxiety" is making a lot of folks over think on factors like tyre pressure etc. Tyre pressure also affects the range and efficiency in ICE cars as does, weight, speed and other external environment conditions, however since there is usually a gas station nearby, range anxiety does not kick in and therefore ICE folks don't talk about tyre pressure and other factors which affect range in the same way as EV folks.

I know it’s not accurate and don’t expect to get anywhere near the estimated range. All I'm saying is that tire pressure seems to change the 90% range the car estimate and that people should check their tire pressure if their range suddenly decreases. I've read the different threads, and it seems like everyone had a lot more miles than the 4500 I had when my estimate dropped. I'm also in So Cal and the temp drops aren't as extreme as other areas. The Tesla estimate doesn't change like it does in ICE vehicles since it isn't based on driving habits. Otherwise mine would show a max range of 318.

Reactions: Drew-MS