Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RANGE UPGRADE CHANGE? Option to Upgrade 60D to 75D Gone from Tesla.com "Manage" Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jim Holder

Keep calm and trade on
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2017
Mars
Hi,

I've been closely monitoring the page where one can upgrade from 60D to 75D (i.e. unlock the full capacity of the 60D battery) on the "Manage" my car section on Tesla.com. It has been $2,000 for a long time and tonight the upgrade option disappeared altogether from our page.

1) Any other 60D owners still see the option to upgrade on their "Manage" page?
2) Does this mean the price is changing again downward (or upward :mad:) before the end of the quarter?
3) Other thoughts on this?

Thanks!

898.png

My guess: probably just so busy at quarter end trying to shove whole cars out, upgrades are not a priority and they don't even want to see them coming in, distracting resources / splitting attention on what really matters now.

As a matter of historical context, in 2012 Tesla offered and I ordered a 40 kWh Model S. I waited and waited and waited before Tesla decided not to make a true 40 kWh variant, and instead it had a 60 kWh battery but was software limited to access only 40 kWh. We had the option to upgrade and take off the restriction for 10k, then 11k, then later I was told there was no longer that option at any price. But other people were still able to get it done at varying prices depending on which Service Center they contacted.

Tesla is not good at keeping options around, or being consistent on what they offer in different places at the same time. So maybe your option will come back at the same price or a higher or lower price, or maybe it won't. And if it doesn't maybe if you call around you can get it anyway. The lesson I learned is if you think you might want to take advantage of something Tesla offers, don't wait too long or you may miss out.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Rang Upgrade is back in MANAGE MY TESLA. Still at $2,000 though...
I wonder if it'll ever drop further, or to $0 as small compensation for the missing AP2 (HW2) AEP feature-parity with AP1 as promised in 2016, and we're nearly at 2019...

Question for anyone with any up-to-date 60 to 75 unlock knowledge.

Looking at a facelift MS 2016 60 battery (made 12/2016) @ a 3rd party dealership, private trade-in. Salesman has no idea about the unlock. Is it something still available and is it still $2k?

Are you aware of how the older cars lost 10-15 miles of range with and "update" and they have capped supercharging rate at 70kw down from 120?

It seems likely the older cars had excessively aggressive battery parameters and they are scaling back, and we can't even get answers on this.

Now you want to sue because they won't let you add range? A LOT of us would just like to have back what we had a year ago.

• Disagree
Yes same here also annoyed about this. Shall we try to gather up everyone affected by this?
  1. Gather up everyone affected and willing to take part
  2. Group tweet to Tesla/Elon at a specified date (expecting no response)
  3. Threaten legal action
  4. Take legal action

lol. What exactly do you think Tesla owes you? What is your loss that gives you legal standing for a case?

Yes same here also annoyed about this. Shall we try to gather up everyone affected by this?
  1. Gather up everyone affected and willing to take part
  2. Group tweet to Tesla/Elon at a specified date (expecting no response)
  3. Threaten legal action
  4. Take legal action
There is legal standing because it was a fundamental feature when the car was sold which was then removed without notice. So at the very least Tesla owes us the feature that they sold us. The resale value of the car is dramatically affected (so there is possibly also grounds for compensation as part of the legal action) depending on 60KW vs 75KW.