Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RANGE UPGRADE CHANGE? Option to Upgrade 60D to 75D Gone from Tesla.com "Manage" Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to get a straight answer out of service lately about this. They said they were running it up to the engineers and would get back to me. We took delivery of a 60D Model X Jan 2017 and were basically waiting and hoping for the price to come down from $4500 to $2k like the S, which we thought was more reasonable for a measly what, 32 miles or something in range? I was more interested in the uncorking. But what I don't get is why no warning before taking it away, if it truly is gone? That may have pushed us over the edge to spend the $4500 because honestly, selling this vehicle we paid $93k for because at the time we had to pay extra for towing and winter packages, along with Enhanced Autopilot, just to start over again to get a 100D at about the same price is not something we're going to do. And now that the range is down to 179 at 100%, without an upgrade option we're praying to hit that 20% range loss so that we can get the battery upgraded under warranty. It just doesn't make sense that they didn't warn anyone that it was going away. It may have pushed many of us to upgrade finally.

Yes same here also annoyed about this. Shall we try to gather up everyone affected by this?
  1. Gather up everyone affected and willing to take part
  2. Group tweet to Tesla/Elon at a specified date (expecting no response)
  3. Threaten legal action
  4. Take legal action
There is legal standing because it was a fundamental feature when the car was sold which was then removed without notice. So at the very least Tesla owes us the feature that they sold us. The resale value of the car is dramatically affected (so there is possibly also grounds for compensation as part of the legal action) depending on 60KW vs 75KW.

I'm in the same boat. Purchased as it was a fundamental feature. It would be different if Tesla said you have XX days until the feature is gone but nothing like that happened. It just disappeared, just like autopilot add-on. I noticed it when the website changed but that's been almost a year now.

And now that the range is down to 179 at 100%, without an upgrade option we're praying to hit that 20% range loss so that we can get the battery upgraded under warranty.
Sorry, but that is not a thing. On the Model S and X, the warranty specifically excludes degraded capacity of the battery as a warranty remedy condition. It was only with the Model 3 that they introduced a limit for capacity degradation to trigger warranty coverage.

Sorry, but that is not a thing. On the Model S and X, the warranty specifically excludes degraded capacity of the battery as a warranty remedy condition. It was only with the Model 3 that they introduced a limit for capacity degradation to trigger warranty coverage.
What options do we have then to get more range? Pay that guy in Florida for a 3rd party battery swap? I guess here’s to hoping the battery just goes bad then.

Hi everybody,

I have a solution here. I've been trying to get his done ever since I bought my used 2016 model S 60D about 6 months ago, and finally got it done yesterday (11/19/2020). I spoke with a gentlemen at the Tesla service center in Clarkston, Michigan name Ricky. He was very helpful. His email is "Rbayne at tesla dot com" (I purposely typed the email like that so his email address does't get picked up by spam bots) or you can just call the Tesla service center in Clarkston MI (248) 241-9321 and ask for Ricky.

He said there is an issue with the apps and online accounts where the option no longer shows up there and that has caused many who work at Tesla to assume that it is no longer offered. But it is. I had to make an appointment and bring my car there, but they were able to do it. It cost about $2,400 with tax on my model S.

If you're within driving distance of Clarkston, MI, you could just go see Ricky. But if not, still get in touch with him and see if he can help facilitate the upgrade with your local service center.

Interesting, I was just asking service about this issue on Monday while having the FSD computer swapped. They said if there is no upgrade option in the app then it’s not possible. What is your range estimate at 100% charge now?

Give your service center this part number and tell them you’d like to buy it.

BATTERY UPGRADE, 60kWh to 75 kWh, MS(1091845-06-A)

Any service center can do it, but few know of the existence of this “part” in their system. It’s $2250 plus tax now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Give your service center this part number and tell them you’d like to buy it.

BATTERY UPGRADE, 60kWh to 75 kWh, MS(1091845-06-A)

Any service center can do it, but few know of the existence of this “part” in their system. It’s $2250 plus tax now.
Thank you. I just asked them about it and they looked it up and said I was eligible. I may do it if I can't get to the ski resort and back without stopping to Supercharge. Was it $2,000 or $2,500 before they removed the option from our accounts?

This is excellent news but I got an email of a local Tesla service center and they said "That part number does not come up as being valid in our system". If anyone has any additional info or even a receipt screenshot or email from a parts person that knows, please share.

This is excellent news but I got an email of a local Tesla service center and they said "That part number does not come up as being valid in our system". If anyone has any additional info or even a receipt screenshot or email from a parts person that knows, please share.
@Woodwinds was the one that originally posted that part number from their own experience, so maybe they could share an invoice screenshot or other material.

Any idea what the part number would be for the X?
My local SC says it is the same part number for X. But they wouldn’t install it until/unless the option appears in my app. They know my 60D qualifies but they said they cannot guarantee the car would be a 75D if the install the hardware as they don’t know what else is needed.

My local SC says it is the same part number for X. But they wouldn’t install it until/unless the option appears in my app. They know my 60D qualifies but they said they cannot guarantee the car would be a 75D if the install the hardware as they don’t know what else is needed.
Wow. I am really sorry you got a clueless service center employee who doesn't know what he/she is talking about. There is no hardware to install. It is literally just a programming switch in software. You should keep asking other people until you get someone who understands it.

Wow. I am really sorry you got a clueless service center employee who doesn't know what he/she is talking about. There is no hardware to install. It is literally just a programming switch in software. You should keep asking other people until you get someone who understands it.
Any suggestions of whom I could try to contact instead? Emails to Ricky in Michigan is bouncing.