Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range upgrade option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this option listed on several CPOs of various battery sizes.... "range upgrade" what does this mean/refer to? Was there a point where Tesla was able to increase the range of a given battery just via software or something?
Thanks...
Edit: another question about options... how can a car that has AP1 hardware and software have an option listed that says "no parking sensors"? Aren't the parking sensors required for AP1?

Hi seenhear,

On point 1) I'm only familiar with the "Range Upgrade" that was offered on the Model S x85x to make it a x90x.. At first, the 90 was an option labeled as "Range Upgrade" for the x85x. I'm assuming this may have occurred with other sub models as well. FWIW, this was not a software upgrade, but an actual physically different battery.

On point 2) I don't have historical evidence on my theory here, so hopefully someone else can confirm/deny. I believe that before there was AP1, you could get a Model S with an option for "Parking Sensors". It could just be an oxymoron, in that the "Parking Sensors" option wasn't selected, yet the AP1 option was. With having AP1, you inherently have parking sensors, but from an options on paper standpoint, they could have been two separate choices.

@JohnnyG was correct about question #1.
But to answer #2 Thats not possible in order to have AP at all parking sensors are standard. 2014 is when all Model S came standard with parking sensors. Before they were just a single alone option. But weren't available for 2012 Models.

I don't know much about CPOs, so I can't speak to what the item listings on them mean. However, I figured I would note that the part I quoted still happens. New S60s are just software locked S75s that you can pay to upgrade at any time.
I know about the current 60>75 upgrade, but was under the impression that was a recent thing. Thus my curiosity about this for older cars.

Go to ev-cpo.com and check out the options list for VIN 105879. It's a 2015 90D showing a "range upgrade" (BR01) and "no parking sensors" (PK00) and it does have AP1 (DA02).
@seenhear -This is precisely what I was already saying... The early (2015) x90x was actually an x85x sub model with a purchase option code "Range Upgrade" to make it an x90x. The "Parking Sensors" purchase option was still on the books, although it would show as "not selected" because the sensor suite is part of the purchase option code "Autopilot".

My Model S P90D is a 2015 with the "Range Upgrade" purchase option code with AP1. It is a physically different battery. This is not the same thing as the 75kWh battery being put in the MS 60 and then software unlocking it to 75kWh at a later date.

Reactions: seenhear