Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Upgrade to 75kWH Offer is Grossly Misleading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2016 Model S with a 70kWH battery. In the "Profile" section for my car on the MyTesla.com website, I am offered a range upgrade that states "20% Range Increase" and also includes unlimited supercharging for $3,250. There are no specifics or qualifications provided about this offer so the assumption is that a 20% range increase would give me at least 40 additional miles per charge (even at 90% charge limit). However, when I called Tesla I was told that the offered range increase would only provide 15 additional miles of range for my vehicle, which is only about an 8% increase, far less than half of what is promised to me on my "Profile". I sent an email to Tesla stating that their promise of a 20% range increase can be considered false and misleading advertising and I feel it actually borders on fraud. Tesla responded by stating that the 20% range increase applies to owners who currently have a 60kWH battery and are upgrading to the 75kWH battery. The 60kWH battery was not even an option available to me when I purchased my Model S! Tesla must know this fact because my "Profile" on their website clearly shows that I have a 70kWH battery now, not a 60kWH battery. As a minimum, the offer should clearly explain that the quoted 20% increase applies only to those who now have a 60kWH battery and that the increase is 8% (15 miles) for those who now have a 70kWH battery. For a fee of $3,250, I feel this is exorbitantly expensive and a terrible value for the money. Don't be tempted by this grossly misleading offer!

I think you misread. It's probably "free lifetime supercharging", which is not the same as "unlimited supercharging".
The offer's exact words are "Unlimited Supercharging" in the Profile section of MyTesla.com. The implication is that if I don't buy the range upgrade offer I won't get unlimited supercharging. This is not true since my purchase already included the free lifetime supercharging.

The offer's exact words are "Unlimited Supercharging" in the Profile section of MyTesla.com. The implication is that if I don't buy the range upgrade offer I won't get unlimited supercharging. This is not true since my purchase already included the free lifetime supercharging.
That's.... very interesting if they called it unlimited supercharging, as that would be a first. It's always been refereed to as free lifetime supercharging, which technically is not unlimited, though practically it is.

Regardless of what it said, Tesla should update the page the be accurate based on the version of the car in the owner's profile. Easy fix, most likely just an oversight from when they re-introduced the 60kWh car. Not a big deal, but worth fixing.

Can you post a screenshot?
Screenshot 2016-10-18 10.54.47.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Max* and JohnSnowNW