Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range variation 2013 Model S vs 2021 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am current trading in my old Model S for a new long range model Y. The model S was fairly predictable in range variation on highway traveling and such. The range hit, normally, was not too bad unless there was a significant headwind. How does the Model Y compare? Do you find significant differences? I know quite a bit about speed and range variation (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, & Chevy Bolt as well as the Model S), I just want to understand the variations in comparison. I.e. the Leaf lost significant range on the highway.

I have not had a Model S, but I think they're close to the same width, but the Y a bit taller and slightly higher Cd. So I imagine a bit of a bigger hit. I had a Bolt before and it took a pretty big hit as well, to me they seem comparable. I also have the MPP 2" lift on mine so might give it a bit more of a hit than stock.

After 7k miles my "Full" range after charging is 294 miles. Usable seems to be about 250 with normal driving, but that means about 200 if you plan on recharging with 50 left. That is with normal, non-enthusiastic driving at less than 70 mph. Faster highway driving hits hard, as does wind or hills.

Having owned a 2014 Model S for 6 years I can say the Model Y is less predictable in range and Wh/mi. Around town, better efficiency with the Y, on the highway I'd had read many reviews of folks on road trips with the Y, and knew what to expect. The S was more consistent in it's energy usage.

Having owned a 2014 Model S for 6 years I can say the Model Y is less predictable in range and Wh/mi. Around town, better efficiency with the Y, on the highway I'd had read many reviews of folks on road trips with the Y, and knew what to expect. The S was more consistent in it's energy usage.

I don't know any Tesla yet (waiting for Y in Europe…) but from what I've read in these forums that's what I gathered too. I wonder though what causes this? Is the Y more efficient (heat pump or something else) in normal driving, and as such any extra energy expenditure much more impacting? (similar to BEV vs ICE in general). Or are the S/X more conservative in the first place?