Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range vs actual mileage driven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a new 3 and am noticing the battery range declines at a rate faster then the actual mileage I have driven. Anyone else experience this ? For example I will drive a 50 mile route d trip and see battery range decline by closer to 60 miles.

Yes this is pretty normal - depending on a number of factors, the car may manage more or fewer miles than the estimated range due to higher power consumption than predicted.

Factors impacting range are:

- Speed (generally faster means more power used)
- Temperature (colder external temperatures means more power consumed)
- Wind or incline
- Internal heating (cabin heating uses the most power, followed by AC followed by seat heating)
- Driving style (heavy feet use more power)
- Highway Vs stop start (highway driving gets very little regeneration)

Additionally your car will use power when standing still, or even while asleep (if not plugged in). Generally, if you can average about 250 WHr/Mi or below, you should hit drive equal to or greater than the distance estimated.

The range is the EPA test cycle. Just like with an ICE, YMMV. The biggest contributor to energy use is speed. Air resistance increases exponentially with speed. That’s true in an ICE too but you’re not so focused on energy use in an ICE. Next biggest contributor to energy use is if you have the heat on. An EV doesn’t have excess heat that it can direct into the cabin as an ICE does.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Also your variant of car matters. RWD with the 18” Aero wheels will get the best mileage (the 310 is actually underrated). The P3D+ (Performance with Performance Upgrade Package) with its non-Aero 20” wheels gets the worst.

If you have the new version 9 software you can look at the energy meter app.
It will show your current predicted range based on the average power usage (Wh/mi) of the last 5, 15 or 30 miles.
The graph also shows the power usage level that the EPA range is based on. (range next to your battery indicator)
It looks to me that its based on 240 Wh/mi.

So is everyone saying that the range isn’t really the range - that it says one range but I can only typically expect to get 20% less? That seems pretty far off. I drove 25 miles and the range dropped 29. About 50 degrees. Mix of highway and local- mostly highway. I guess I am trying to understand implications for longer trip- is 300 miles really only going to be 240 ?

Attachments

• 54893E13-0CBD-4156-881F-7F5C70FBD1AD.jpeg
    54893E13-0CBD-4156-881F-7F5C70FBD1AD.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 151
I have to say, in my six months of ownership I find the predicted range and actual range to be either EXACT or within less than about 1-2%, with the error usually being in the OVER DELIVER side, rather than getting less range. Now, I was pretty much hooning it in the beginning and THAT does consume a lot of energy. Especially from startup. I did a longer road trip a few months back and managed to go 235 actual miles (at least that is what the trip meter/odometer said and I'm hoping THAT is correct) and the displayed miles used (start miles minus end miles) was only 220. So, I'm happy with that.

So is everyone saying that the range isn’t really the range - that it says one range but I can only typically expect to get 20% less? That seems pretty far off. I drove 25 miles and the range dropped 29. About 50 degrees. Mix of highway and local- mostly highway. I guess I am trying to understand implications for longer trip- is 300 miles really only going to be 240 ?
I believe the remaining range shown is the estimate of battery capacity (kWhr) divided by the theoretical EPA usage number (240 Whr/mi) or whatever the actual number is). It does not take any additional factors into account such ambient conditions, your route or your personal driving habits. If you typically use more than 240 Whr/mi your actual range will be less.

My all time average is 243 Wh/mi, so its pretty close. I have the 19" sports with RWD. I know people with the 18 Aero's can get significantly better. The AWD's and Performance might be worse. I'm not quite sure how Tesla was able to claim the same range for those cars.

The energy meter seems to try to make an estimate based on your actual driving conditions, so maybe check that out. The trip tab makes an estimate of what your battery percentage will be at the end of you trip if on navigation. I don't know what factors that calculation takes into consideration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
It’s cooler now where I am and I lost 6% off the range. As it gets even colder I imagine that is going to grow.

I find if I time my charging to finish right when I leave the range is pretty well as stated. But when it sits for hours and I use the heat, like today it’ll lose.

In now over 22k in miles and gone through a full winter. I average 249 Wh/mi over that period. RWD 18" some aero some not. The trip planner has not left me by the side of the road as of yet. Tad bit conservative if you compare it to recommended abetterrouteplanner.com

Use the energy graph. The range advertised is correct, but one has to think about the environment.

My old Subaru MPG degraded significantly in the winter months. Noticing 3-4 MPG is harder than staring at the range calculator. Gassing up a car becomes well. Monotonous. Give it time you will feel more comfortable.

I have to say, in my six months of ownership I find the predicted range and actual range to be either EXACT or within less than about 1-2%, with the error usually being in the OVER DELIVER side, rather than getting less range. Now, I was pretty much hooning it in the beginning and THAT does consume a lot of energy. Especially from startup. I did a longer road trip a few months back and managed to go 235 actual miles (at least that is what the trip meter/odometer said and I'm hoping THAT is correct) and the displayed miles used (start miles minus end miles) was only 220. So, I'm happy with that.
How fast were you driving?

Yes this is pretty normal - depending on a number of factors, the car may manage more or fewer miles than the estimated range due to higher power consumption than predicted.

Factors impacting range are:

- Speed (generally faster means more power used)
- Temperature (colder external temperatures means more power consumed)
- Wind or incline
- Internal heating (cabin heating uses the most power, followed by AC followed by seat heating)
- Driving style (heavy feet use more power)
- Highway Vs stop start (highway driving gets very little regeneration)

Additionally your car will use power when standing still, or even while asleep (if not plugged in). Generally, if you can average about 250 WHr/Mi or below, you should hit drive equal to or greater than the distance estimated.
Question? When you loose range driving or park, are these lost miles added to your odometer? Ex: They drive 50 miles, range used 60, 60 is added to odometer? New 3 owner myself.