Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range, Wh/mi, General Battery Usage, and the Energy app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I realized that my range was lower than I had expected, and I thought I was doing very well in terms of driving efficiency (198 Wh/mi). On Sunday I charged, and I believe my range was 212 or 207 when I unplugged [at the supercharger]. I haven't charged since Sunday. I drove 154 miles, so my range should be +/- 50, but I'm showing 35.

I know there is battery usage to run sentry, and while I do not run the A/C to keep the car cool, I do have the feature turned on.

Is this normal loss? It's a young battery :) as I only have 2,000 miles on the car so far.

Lastly, I don't understand the energy app. I used it today when I drove from work to the charger. What is the yellow line, and what is the gray block below it?

Attachments

• Photo Aug 07, 6 38 59 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 07, 6 38 59 PM.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo Aug 07, 6 39 29 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 07, 6 39 29 PM.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 52
Sentry will use about 1% per HOUR when active so that can certainly account for 15 miles difference if you had it on for any substantial parked time. I believe the grey line is the car's prediction and the yellow is the actual performance.

Sentry mode is a huge drain, I live in a condo and charge my M3 every 4-5 days, this would be easily 10 days if I turned off sentry mode, but it's on 24/7 (and it's caught a kid dropping a skateboard and denting my rear liftgate)...it's gotta take a lot recording continuously on 3x camera's at the same time.

Sentry will use about 1% per HOUR when active so that can certainly account for 15 miles difference if you had it on for any substantial parked time. I believe the grey line is the car's prediction and the yellow is the actual performance.
It's not 1% a hour I have mine on 24/7 and it doesn't lose 24% in one day, more like 10-15% I would guess.

Today I realized that my range was lower than I had expected, and I thought I was doing very well in terms of driving efficiency (198 Wh/mi). On Sunday I charged, and I believe my range was 212 or 207 when I unplugged [at the supercharger]. I haven't charged since Sunday. I drove 154 miles, so my range should be +/- 50, but I'm showing 35.

I know there is battery usage to run sentry, and while I do not run the A/C to keep the car cool, I do have the feature turned on.

Is this normal loss? It's a young battery :) as I only have 2,000 miles on the car so far.

Lastly, I don't understand the energy app. I used it today when I drove from work to the charger. What is the yellow line, and what is the gray block below it?
The gray block is your predicted usage, while the yellow line is your actual usage; BUT, it's yellow because you're under 20% SOC, a warning to you to start planning to charge.

Your 198 Wh/m is good. You get about 5 miles/kWh. If you run Sentry, and it senses a lot of activity around your car, like if you're in a parking lot, and cars are constantly passing by, it won't let the car go to sleep. That can use a little over 1 mile/hr.

So, just thinking out loud, you had about 210 miles of range, so ~88% SOC. You drove 154 miles and 31kWh, so you used a little over 50% SOC, leaving less than 27%SOC, but you're down to ~15%SOC, so you used roughly 12% SOC while it was parked. That 12%SOC is about 7kWh or about 28 miles of range. You spent 3 nights unplugged, with Sentry on. You can easily lose 28 miles of range in a single 24hr period if Sentry is on and recording the whole time, so 28 miles of range loss in 3 nights is not all that unusual.

Sentry is a power hog. If you like the security but don't want to lose too much range, get yourself a real dash cam, until Sentry is improved and no longer a power hog.