Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range when driving in France?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey chaps, planning a trip to the south of France and I’m wondering what kind of range I’ll get in an SR+ cruising at ~130 km/h in warm weather. Anyone done it? Can I expect 200miles from my 230 ‘miles’ of range?
We're heading down in July and just started playing with ABRP to see how it looks. We head down from the East Midlands to Burgundy first via the tunnel and will stay overnight. Then on to Perpignan next day. We'll be in an M3P but we'll keep the 18" rims on for that trip - bit better range and less pothole risk. I'm figuring 225 ish miles range at sensible speeds and I'll be leaving 20% battery contingency for each planned charge.

Early days but ABRP is giving me around 10.5 hours travel time plus around 80 mins charge time for the first leg of the journey, including the crossing. That's only about an hour more than when we used to do it in an ICE vehicle so not too bad. I reckon that charge time may be too low so I reckon a bit more to add there.

Still got to refine this and work on the second day but so far it looks very doable and plenty of SC on route. Also a Tesla destination charger plus plenty of 3rd party chargers where we're staying. Should still be an adventure mind!

Reactions: jbcarioca
Hey chaps, planning a trip to the south of France and I’m wondering what kind of range I’ll get in an SR+ cruising at ~130 km/h in warm weather. Anyone done it? Can I expect 200miles from my 230 ‘miles’ of range?
Not going to get there in winter.
Look for 39% drop in cooler temps
The faster you go the worse the efficiency
You probably don't want to pull in with very little leeway

It's worth bearing in mind that you will not be driving in either 230 mile or 200 mile legs in real life unless you start at 100% charge for every leg and end at 0% for every leg. That's not good for your buttock clench factor and not good for the car. It will probably end up being slower too ... it's slow to charge to 100%. Your route planning should be for 150 mile legs at the most in an SR+ in my opinion. You need some leeway and you want to enjoy yourself ... not worrying about reaching your destination all the time.

Reactions: Derek25 and Cogarch
I did a similar trip this summer and the autoroutes were awash with Teslas - mostly Dutch. Lots of Model 3s too.
You won't be alone - those Tesla superchargers are going to be very busy.
Yes, the Dutch do seem to migrate en masse in summer and Model 3 sales have been rampant there. We'll need to factor that in. I suspect the destination charger will also be seeing a lot more use than ever before; they're a bit like the Germans with their towel "etiquette", so I hope there won't be a battle! Teslas at dawn....

I'd expect summer to be different. but having just done a long trip in France last week, my experience was that the Tesla superchargers on the autoroutes were almost always empty. Those in towns (and not attached to an autoroute) were almost always nearly full. I'd put this down to the need to pay to get to those chargers on autoroutes.
Also, checkout Ionity chargers as they are appearing across France and often in different places to the Tesla chargers. I tried one, didn't charge as quick as a Tesla supercharger, but got a steady 50Kw. Each time I saw Ionity chargers they were also empty.

I'd expect summer to be different. but having just done a long trip in France last week, my experience was that the Tesla superchargers on the autoroutes were almost always empty. Those in towns (and not attached to an autoroute) were almost always nearly full. I'd put this down to the need to pay to get to those chargers on autoroutes.
Also, checkout Ionity chargers as they are appearing across France and often in different places to the Tesla chargers. I tried one, didn't charge as quick as a Tesla supercharger, but got a steady 50Kw. Each time I saw Ionity chargers they were also empty.
I’ve been getting 170kW at ionity chargers in Switzerland and France without issue when my state of charge is below 60%.

Good spot. I also think it will be different in summer but hopefully OK. Initial check shows that all but one of our proposed charge stops will be on the autoroute which is handy.

We'll also research the third-party chanrgers as contingency. Cheers

Unfortunately Musk has pretty much confirmed that the fundamental omission of waypoints in TESLA navigation system is not going to happen. Instead he says the car will use the calendar appointments or the car will use its AI to predict where you are going to travel - last one is a farce as the most useful time that multistop route planning is a benefit is when you do not know the route.

As for setting calendar events, I did that for my recent two day trip and it didn't work out. I did however see my return turned into a 2 segment trip with intermediate supercharger stop, so it should be possible - not seen that before as first A/B trip I made needing a supercharger stop. Would like to know why it suggested the particular super charger stop though, as (in hindsight) it had workable choices at another two so we spent the journey out of sync with lunch and couldn't easily know if stopping earlier would still have got us back on that single topup.

What I really want is travel from A to C via B (the more the merrier) and arrive with at least % charge. Would rather not have the car AI routing in a supercharger stop at McDonalds because its learned my supercharger pattern... how else will I lose the stone that I put on since we took delivery of the car...